Wifi Adapter can't connect to router

BlackVirus

Ok so I bought one of these cheap thumb size USB 2.0 wifi adapters and I can't seem to connect to my router. I can connect to my phone though (wifi hotspot). 

One problem is, it takes ages until it can even detect my Router/Internet using that wifi adapter. My Phone is being recognized immediately. So I don't think it's a driver issue since my phone is recognized. 

The 2nd and main problem is, once I select my home network, I just get the "Unable to connect" message from windows.

I was just wondering if maybe my Router is "too good" for that cheap wifi adapter, such as running on higher frequencies etc that the adapter can't read? I know that the wifi adapter can only work on 2.4 GhZ and my router is running on Channel 1.

And that's where my networking knowledge ends lol

any help appreciated :)

I'm not too good with networking, but sometimes there's a MAC address which you may have to "let your router know" about to accept your device on to your home network. It's  a security feature on some networks (mine has it).

Your MAC address should be on one of the components of your computer if there is one, but I think it's unlikely the problem (still a possibility!).

If any of your other devices required the router to know the MAC address of them, then this may be the problem with your computer.