How to Hack a Car

Puppet

I found this interesting video on Youtube:

It talks about how car control and the lack of security measures that are in place to protect peoples vehicles from being hacked. Basically just attaching mobile devices into the CAN bus of a car, seems like a lot of effort but a lot of these cables are fairly exposed on vehicles as they need to run to control modules near brakes etc. Is now the right time to worry about this?

I think so, especially with some of the vehicles we have now which have very little manual mechanical input, some recent Volvo's, Mercedes' and Volkswagens it could even control the steering as well the more obvious things like acceleration and braking. 

Should we be more worried about this now?

I see theft being a higher priority than sabotage or assassination. What are your thoughts?

I was expecting Watch Dogs.

:lol: It's not far off...

In fact I think the series is plugging Watchdogs.

you were not alone 

I think on some tech show they had these 2 guys who were able to control a car from a laptop from within the car. It was pretty cool to what they could change as far as settings and stuff. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I want to do this and hook up a G27 Logitch wheel to my PC.

Forget hacking, why not augment? I want to know what the parts were needed and how much code knowledge is required to make that 25$ setup the spanish dude was talking about.

Sounds incredibly useful to have some remote control over your car and be able to override some of the electronics remotely (i.e. I'm away from my car but someone needs to use it, remote unlock, remote start)

Error: 410

:lol: It's not far off...

In fact I think the series is plugging Watchdogs.

its inspired by watchdogs if you got the know how anything can be hacked 

Good luck hacking mine. You could hack my headunit lol, otherwise my truck has no main computer sys.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

*Looks out at his 91 benz and smiles*

My car doesn't even have an OBD port  :P

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I already knew about this, I'm a fellow hacker as well.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Good luck hacking mine. You could hack my headunit lol, otherwise my truck has no main computer sys.

you could jump into mine and drive off with it, i leave the keys in when im home.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

you could jump into mine and drive off with it, i leave the keys in when im home.

I leave mine unlocked but I do take my keys but I do have extra keys on the truck so if someone found them they could get it lol.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

I already knew about this, I'm a fellow hacker as well.

What type of College classes would I have to take to learn about this stuff? Like all the circuitry and coding stuff. Anywhere I can learn online?

If only this was available to buy, I want it 

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

True, just wanted thoughts on it considering the amount of control modules there are in cars nowadays.  

*Looks out at his 91 benz and smiles*

My car doesn't even have an OBD port  :P

Well that can be stolen with a coat hanger and a pair of snips :lol:

Thinking about it though, it's not going to really be that useful in theft as you would need the ignition to be in the first position to power the ECU and most modern cars have those annoying inner door skins, so it would be window smashing time haha.

I definitely still see some appeal for certain cars though.

What type of College classes would I have to take to learn about this stuff? Like all the circuitry and coding stuff. Anywhere I can learn online?

Not sure it involves study in a few different areas, Mechatronics might cover the most ground though. 

am i the only one with a C4 based system with charges to a raspberry PI controlled detonator on modem and internet cables ?. hack me and basicly im dead. not sure how to deal with this doe 

Forget hacking, why not augment? I want to know what the parts were needed and how much code knowledge is required to make that 25$ setup the spanish dude was talking about.

Sounds incredibly useful to have some remote control over your car and be able to override some of the electronics remotely (i.e. I'm away from my car but someone needs to use it, remote unlock, remote start)

Yeah, I can see a lot of positives to those devices. Interested in knowing what he's using as well, probably something Arduino based with a cellular module... 

you could jump into mine and drive off with it, i leave the keys in when im home peering through my window with a 50 cal. aimed at the back of the headrest.

FTFY

am i the only one with a C4 based system with charges to a raspberry PI controlled detonator on modem and internet cables ?. hack me and basicly im dead. not sure how to deal with this doe 

Imagine someone detonating your airbags as you travel down the road.  :o

in no way am I surprised, our 2006 ford explorer has a computer controlled throttle, and it is the most fidgety thing ever. I have my 2002 ford focus zx3, and it is stick, it has manual controlled breaks, throttle, and direct wiring for everything. it is completely unhackable unless you hardwire everything in and put in a custom body control unit. so I'm completely safe from this, but that is one thing I'm still going to look for with any new car i buy, is to make sure that It doesn't have any of this shit because I saw this coming, I there is no way ill take any chance to allow someone to steal a brand new car.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Yeah, I can see a lot of positives to those devices. Interested in knowing what he's using as well, probably something Arduino based with a cellular module... 

FTFY

Imagine someone detonating your airbags as you travel down the road.  :o

lmao that would suck

Well, it's all about coding first, learn languages like Python first, an excellent way to learn would Khan Academy. Then I would progress towards C and C++, also, that circulatory stuff, I learnt some in the physics courses. But if you do Computer Engineering, you'll make whatever is in that video, times 10. Computer Engineering is computer science and electrical engineering, So you're learning the coding, and the electrical, so you can make some sick ass hacks.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Well, it's all about coding first, learn languages like Python first, an excellent way to learn would Khan Academy. Then I would progress towards C and C++, also, that circulatory stuff, I learnt some in the physics courses. But if you do Computer Engineering, you'll make whatever is in that video, times 10. Computer Engineering is computer science and electrical engineering, So you're learning the coding, and the electrical, so you can make some sick ass hacks.

Thanks! I already know a little bit of C# so it will be easier to learn other languages.

I was expecting an axe would be involved.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Same. lol

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

yes ofcourse, just hold x

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans