4D Printing research could lead to shape changing dress materials

NISHANTH

SOURCE:http://www.thinkdigit.com/General/4D-Printing-research-could-lead-to-shape_20941.html

Scientists develop 4D printing technology that may lead to 'smart' shape changing materials.

artImg198x166_20941.jpg

The 3D printer already lets users print simple objects at home, but now researchers are now working on developing 4D printing, using “smart” materials that can change shape by themselves.

Researchers are developing 'Smart' materials by combining different types of plastics and fibers that can change shape by themselves when they come into contact with stimuli such as heat or water. This new technology that allows objects to be designed in this way so they can expand or fold into pre-designed forms after being printed, has been dubbed 4D printing.

Jesse Louis-Rosenberg, from Nervous System design studio in Somerville, Massachusetts, stated that he hoped to use the 4D printing technology to create a dress that could be printed in compact form then unfolded.

The technology will help you create a dress designed to fit perfectly by scanning the customers body. The dress would be created with a series of tessellating segments and a computer model would then compress the design into the smallest possible space to fit inside a 3D printer. The customer would just need to simply download the design, print it and unfurl it to have a ready dress at home.

Skylar Tibbits, from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, is leading the ground-breaking research with Stratasys, a digital manufacturing company in the 4D printing. "We asked if we could print things that change shape and change properties to behave in precise programmed ways. We call it 4D because it adds time [considered the fourth dimension], rather than printing static objects," Tibbits said.

http://vimeo.com/58840897

okay now thats cool

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

A new thing for @Barnacules to be obsessed with.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Time to start wearing dresses...

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Huh, this reminds me of Batman's cape in Batman Begins.

And Octocamo from Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

LS051_-_Octocamo_sand%C3%ADa.png

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

what is this fourth dimension they speak of.. are they printing in space/time?

Aint that a bit too ahead of its time?

what time? you mean now?, i thought this was the 21st century, i think you are severely underestimating our knowledge and capacity to understand the world, and the ability to apply that knowledge.

Great new for girls!! :mellow: if you know what i mean! B)

Details separate people.

Sooo TL:DR Things can move...amazing!  :blink:

Rig: Lian Li PC-V353 i5 2500K, GA-Z68MA-D2H, EVGA GTX 650, CM Gemiin S524, Corsair TX650M, Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Fiio E10