$1000 Gaming Build (May 2013)

Henry

Hello Techies,

Here is a $1000 gaming build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/codaassasin/saved/1wym

With an additional $300 from my $700 gaming build, you can get better airflow, faster boot times, ability to play ALL games currently on the market on max settings at 1080p, and a better processor.

- Henry

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

CPU:  AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:  Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX  AM3+ Motherboard  ($94.44 @ Amazon) 
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($66.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($125.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card:  MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card  ($302.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case:  BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1021.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-12 22:45 EDT-0400)

I'd say that's a better build.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

CPU:  AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:  Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX  AM3+ Motherboard  ($94.44 @ Amazon) 
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($66.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($125.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card:  MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card  ($302.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case:  BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1021.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-12 22:45 EDT-0400)

I'd say that's a better build.

Actually, its not.

1. SSDs are not necessary

2. This is a gaming build, and the Radeon HD 7970 is better than the 7950. Unless you want to overclock the 7950 alot.

3. Mine is cheaper :P

Unless someone is looking for better boot times than an already fast 7200 rpm (and especially on win 8), than yours is better, but I prefer the better graphics card in mine :P

SSDs are very practical in everyday uses not only gaming. I'll applaud you if you can go back to using a HDD as primary after using a SSD for an extensive time. 

7950 is a better deal price to performance ratio compared to the 7950

You should always overclock. It's literally free performance

Coolermaster Scout 2 Case / ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard / AMD FX 8350 8 Core CPU (Stock Speed) / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6GB / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20323-scout-2-update-build-fx8350-h100i/#entry244058

Interesting, but I have to say disagree with the CPU choice. I think the 3570k or even the 2500k are better choices for a gaming rig in that price range. More average FPS is some games, and much better minimum FPS in pretty much every game out there.

4 very solid cores > 8 mediocre cores (for gaming purposes anyway)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Interesting, but I have to say disagree with the CPU choice. I think the 3570k or even the 2500k are better choices for a gaming rig in that price range. More average FPS is some games, and much better minimum FPS in pretty much every game out there.

4 very solid cores > 8 mediocre cores (for gaming purposes anyway)

3570k and FX-8350 are almost identical in performance in most cases. 

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it isn't my native language :)

An 8 core cpu really needs a more solid motherboard... Especially when you plan to overclock. Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 has a kinda perfect 8+2 power delivery and a rock solid VRM. For crossfire/SLI 990FXA-UD3 is just as good.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Hello Techies,

Here is a $1000 gaming build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/codaassasin/saved/1wym

With an additional $300 from my $700 gaming build, you can get better airflow, faster boot times, ability to play ALL games currently on the market on max settings at 1080p, and a better processor.

- Henry

Moved to NB&P

Actually, its not.

2. This is a gaming build, and the Radeon HD 7970 is better than the 7950. Unless you want to overclock the 7950 alot.

Unless someone is looking for better boot times than an already fast 7200 rpm (and especially on win 8), than yours is better, but I prefer the better graphics card in mine :P

I disagree with you. SSDs are certainly necessary, in any use senario.

This might be a gaming build, but the performance difference between the 7950 and the 7970 won't be noticeable.

And finally, my build is only ~2% more expensive.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

SSDs are very practical in everyday uses not only gaming. I'll applaud you if you can go back to using a HDD as primary after using a SSD for an extensive time. 

7950 is a better deal price to performance ratio compared to the 7950

You should always overclock. It's literally free performance

7950 has better price to performance ratio compared to the 7970! Lol. Because if it was better than itself you would get one everytime :P

This is a good idea...

Why don't we just have stickys with what you should buy with "this" amount of money? Depending on where you live of course.

We could even give different set up options on differnet platforms for the same price.

It'd save a lot of time, wouldn't it? We wouldn't have to keep copying and pasting one of the pcpartpicker carts we made and saved to save time when new builders ask what they should be looking for in a gaming/work build...Right?

Actually, its not.

I have to agree with blade of grass, the SSD will make boot times, start-up times and load times for games much quicker, and Linus has said multiple times that the 7950 is very good value. At that price range, $20 won't make much of a difference. Your build is good for adding an SSD and maybe some other stuff for a beast gaming rig, though!

CPU: i5 4670K w/ NH-D15 - RAM: 4x4GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 - GPU: MSI GTX 970 100ME - SSD: 250GB 850 EVO - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (games) & 2TB (storage) - MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING - Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Window - Fans:  A lot of Noctua NF-F12 (intake, exhaust) & 1x140mm Fractal Design included case fan - Monitor: DELL U2515H - Keyboard: Custom Logitech G105 - Mouse: Roccat Kova+ - Extra: LG Optical Drive, a lot of dust

3570k and FX-8350 are almost identical in performance in most cases.

You are only considering average FPS. I've owned both and let me tell you the gaming experience with 3570k is better because the framerate is far more consistent.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

This is a good idea...

Why don't we just have stickys with what you should buy with "this" amount of money? Depending on where you live of course.

We could even give different set up options on differnet platforms for the same price.

It'd save a lot of time, wouldn't it? We wouldn't have to keep copying and pasting one of the pcpartpicker carts we made and saved to save time when new builders ask what they should be looking for in a gaming/work build...Right?

Because their is no *one size fits all* computer build. Also from different countries, and at different times, things cost different amounts (and sadly, they difference isn't always linear).

If we wanted to do this, we would have to have about six - nine build in my mind, someone would have to volunteer their time to write it all out, and then update it frequently (I would be happy to do it if people want this).

15" MBP TB

Because their is no *one size fits all* computer build. Also from different countries, and at different times, things cost different amounts (and sadly, they difference isn't always linear).

If we wanted to do this, we would have to have about six - nine build in my mind, someone would have to volunteer their time to write it all out, and then update it frequently (I would be happy to do it if people want this).

Rather than doing a bunch of complete builds I could probably write a "shopping guide" of sorts, and go through all the major components, giving a good option for low end, mid-range, and high end on each component, and perhaps what to focus on for different uses, etc.  And people can pick and choose from the list depending on what they like and what suits their needs from each category.

Rather than doing a bunch of complete builds I could probably write a "shopping guide" of sorts, and go through all the major components, giving a good option for low end, mid-range, and high end on each component, and perhaps what to focus on for different uses, etc. And people can pick and choose from the list depending on what they like and what suits their needs from each category.

I like the sound of that, and if you want, I'd love to help with it.

15" MBP TB

Rather than doing a bunch of complete builds I could probably write a "shopping guide" of sorts, and go through all the major components, giving a good option for low end, mid-range, and high end on each component, and perhaps what to focus on for different uses, etc.  And people can pick and choose from the list depending on what they like and what suits their needs from each category.

I can help out with that if you want :) 

PM me if you do.

Moved to NB&P

Woops, sorry. Didnt see that board.

Honestly, I'd drop that Shinobi to an NZXT Source and update that mobo to a 990FX-UD3 or MA99X. You're not going to be overclocking a 6300 at all with a 970, let alone an 8350 with higher power demands.

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 | AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.9GHz | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 & Club3D 7950 RoyalKing in the same rig. such dogecoin miningz | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz | Corsair H70 | Antec P280 White Windowed | Asus Xonar DG | Samson SR-850 | Blue Yeti

Honestly, I'd drop that Shinobi to an NZXT Source and update that mobo to a 990FX-UD3 or MA99X. You're not going to be overclocking a 6300 at all with a 970, let alone an 8350 with higher power demands.

While I agree, you then go over budget.

15" MBP TB

While I agree, you then go over budget.

I would have upgraded the mobo, but I had to do my best to keep it within budget.

Great build if you dont want to overclock

Actually, its not.

Actually, its not.

I agree with grass, your's may be a bit cheaper but you are getting way more with the other rig 

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE