What do you look for in an indie game?

greenroost1445

Question is above. So as you'll probably know me and my friends are starting a studio and I just want to know what do you, as gamers want from an indie studio?

I want something artsy fartsy and something that introduces new gaming ideas.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Something that isn't a platformer? I personally find indie platformers as painfully numerous and uncreative as triple-A first person shooters...

Question is above. So as you'll probably know me and my friends are starting a studio and I just want to know what do you, as gamers want from an indie studio?

NEW IP

Maybe a game with great story telling? Or an interesting art style? Or a new gameplay mechanic we have never seen before?

Something new though, an experience that only indies can do. They can go places AAA titles cannot

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

- Originality. Wild ideas. New type of games, thinking outside the box.

- Engagement with community, even at early developing stages. Like free alpha.

- Modding capability, or addons etc...

- No DLC, microtransactions

- Multiplayer ( optional, depends on game. often is MP core of the game and drives sales, rep )

Then other would apply for different types of games etc... If i knew what you are planning to do, id help with ideas and stuff. Just like rest of community. A well organised forum with suggestions would be nice. 

Wouldnt be multiplayer for goat simulator nice ? :D

Lots of work with networking but... it would be worth it.

dont let it be too hard ,has to be forthcoming people these days arnt an patient as they used to be :)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I look for the same thing in indie games as I do for non indie games.

- Multiplayer ( optional, depends on game. often is MP core of the game and drives sales, rep )

Then other would apply for different types of games etc... If i knew what you are planning to do, id help with ideas and stuff. Just like rest of community. A well organised forum with suggestions would be nice. 

This is a very good list. I want this. 

It really depends on the game type though. An example is To the Moon. It's 8-bit, but it's story and music are amazing, which is what you want to focus on in an 8-bit RPG along with moderately entertaining puzzles that change frequently so you don't get bored. 

It just depends on the type of game itself.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I look for the same thing in indie games as I do for non indie games.

Problem is, there is very little diversity with AAA games, lots of restrictions, repetition. This is because marketing and using proven models that make money. A good dev would be Tripwire n Valve. I guess just try to be the best in what you do, and do it properly.

Lots of times, even if successful, studios can fail. Like Irrational games or Lucas Arts. Noone saw that one coming I guarantee you.

Honestly, I'm not too sure how to put it - but, modern nostalgia?

I want to feel the same way I did years ago when I picked up games for the very first time - something brand new and foreign to me. It seems that every time I find a game that does so, I get an insane feeling of nostalgia - I suppose it's from remembering my lovely "firsts" when I was a child and teenager.

Pew Pew Helicopters

I don't think there's anything wrong with DLC, as long as it's fairly priced for the content it delivers. As long as the developers deliver everything advertised/promised upon release of the game, they've fulfilled their obligation to the gamers.

$15 for 4 multiplayer maps? Yeah, that's ridiculous. $15 for something like 'The Old Gods' DLC in Crusader Kings 2? Much more worth it, IMO. xD

Wouldnt be multiplayer for goat simulator nice ? :D

Lots of work with networking but... it would be worth it.

When you say DLC do you mean paid DLC? I was thinking more along the lines of free DLC.

When you say DLC do you mean paid DLC? I was thinking more along the lines of free DLC.

Yea paid. But if its like a big expansion released a year after or something its ok too i guess. Milking is not nice unless it doesnt hurt core gameplay etc... :D

The only indie dev i follow right now has one time payment for all future version. I like it like that.