Wolfenstien The New Order

jaggysnake57

Wolfenstien the new order review

From the moment you start Wolfenstien the issues begin, I wasn’t 30 seconds in and the 5.1 audio was screwed up leaving me unable to hear voices.  I had to quit out and set my audio to stereo and restart the game…..this was not a good start. It should be noted that at the time of writing I have not finished the game. I will update this review when (of if) I finish the game.

So it doesn’t take long before one of Wolfenstien biggest issues rears its head.  Figuring out what the hell I’m meant to be doing. Maybe I’ve got used to games holding my hand, or maybe WNO just does a poor job of it, either way it’s just plain annoying.  This lack of direction becomes evident with the perks…..there wasn’t much if any of an explanation about them and by the time I had spotted them I had missed a ton of opportunities to achieve them.  The perk system is achieved by doing certain things in game, head shots stealth kills, kills from cover etc. and try to complement your play style. This leads into WNO second problem, there are certain elements that feel bolted on rather than a part of the game. The stealth sections are….well there awful and feel out of place with what Wolfenstien is all about over the top balls to the wall action shooter. At one point I was able to look right at a “guard” and he did nothing I even walked into a room with several guards killed one and the other didn’t flinch….pointless.  Speaking of pointless, the collectibles, not only pointless but actually slow the gameplay down to the point that distract from the game…. I wasn’t a fan.

Asthecticly WNO looks ok I’m running a i5 4570 + 760 and I hit maxed out settings @ 60fps easily so nothing ground breaking here but……texture pop, the issue that plagued rage is back though not as noticeable as rage it does annoy. Everything else is as it should be, the enemies take damage in a satisfying, if not over the top way, with limbs flying off and head exploding in the over the top way we have come to expect.

WNO is an ok game that keeps the interest well enough that its issues don’t completely destroy the game, it’s never going to win GOTY but then who really thought it would? Games for me fall into 4 categories,

4/5 = Timeless classic and a must own if you don’t own it get…..now

3/5 = good game I would shell out top dollar for but not essential

2/5 = its ok…wait for a steam sale and play when there is nothing else to play

1/5 = avoid…even if it’s free!

There is no game that will ever be 5/5 because there is always room for improvement and by the same thinking 0/5 would be none existent

WNO is a 2.5, it’s an ok game and one that has my interest but…..@ £35 it’s just not that good. If you can wait I would.

Hopefully you liked my review like if you did and sorry its short guys but this is the first time I have done this!

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I just finished the game, had no issues at all. A great example of a game that doesn't focus as much on gameplay as on other things, and one of the few that are still great, because the story and the lore in this game is JAW DROPPING. If the devs actually cared a bit more about the gameplay, added more variety to the guns (not just use one damn assault rifle all game) and made the world more open, maybe even fully open Berlin and London, it would get 5/5. I actually like the fact the game is not holding your hand, if there isn't a constant dot on your screen indicating where you have to go, you realize there are other ways to the target, and, more importantly, in the process of finding your way you get in contact with the lore and details that make the story so believable. 

Right now I'd rate the game 3.5-4/5.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

fix the title ;)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

A solid review even though you didn't mention anything about the Story. I'll probably have to check it out myself when it hits the steam sales. Can't justify full price for any game atm because of lack of time for games :mellow: