R9 280x Showdown Asus Directcu2 R9 280x vs Gigabyte Windforce R9 280x

Why? its by far the worst 280x I have tested so far, if you are an Asus fanboy then I suggest finding a second hand 7970 triple slot dc2, those old beasts, much better card.

Why? its by far the worst 280x I have tested so far, if you are an Asus fanboy then I suggest finding a second hand 7970 triple slot dc2, those old beasts, much better card.

What is so bad about it?

What is so bad about it?

There is only one actual heatpipe touching the GPU dye

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Wanna give me a secret Playtech discount code? ;)

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Wanna give me a secret Playtech discount code? ;)

haha I don't even have one! ;)

haha I don't even have one! ;)

c'mon! I got lots of my build from you guys!

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Shame about the Asus cards. It's also strange it's the highest rated 280x and 290 on PC partpicker (at least out of what is available in the UK). After seeing your videos and others I'd probably just stick to Sapphire. They seem consistently good if nothing else.

What about the sapphire one? Looking to put it in my first ever build.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

This is why Gigabyte>ASUS (On the AMD side)

Gigabyte is better than the ASUS cards (For AMD) presented here.

Case: Thermaltake Core V71 CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700X (overclocked to 4.1Ghz) Cooling: Corsair H110i GT(Push-Pull config) Motherboard: Gigabyte's Aorus AX370 AM4 K7 RAM: G.SKILL 2800Mhz 32GB GPU:  GEFORCE GTX 1080 (SLI) from Gigabyte Storage: Kingston 3K 240GB (main boot drive) Crucial M500 SSD, WD 2TB Green, 100GB HD(As backup) PSU: Sseasonic X Series 850W Gold

Honestly, out of all the AMD cards I have tested, the Sapphire cards just keep coming out on top or at least second best, I still believe the best R9 290 is the PCS+ from Powercolor but the Tri-X is for sure the second best 290 and the Toxic 280x is the best 280x so far, aside from the rattling issue which I am sure very few actually have.

Honestly, out of all the AMD cards I have tested, the Sapphire cards just keep coming out on top or at least second best, I still believe the best R9 290 is the PCS+ from Powercolor but the Tri-X is for sure the second best 290 and the Toxic 280x is the best 280x so far, aside from the rattling issue which I am sure very few actually have.

You should compare the r 270x. Because My Asus r9 270x has 3 massive heat pipes on the cooler with fins poking out the top.  But if I had another chance I probably would have gone for Sapphire.  Also, I checked out playtech.  Didn't even know it existed :P

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointing that Asus just took the cooler from the 780 dcuII and just basically slapped it on the AMD cards. Because I love my Asus 780 it just seemed like they did a whole bunch of r and d to make the cooler and then didn't even bother to change it to suit the AMD cards.

Disappointing that Asus just took the cooler from the 780 dcuII and just basically slapped it on the AMD cards. Because I love my Asus 780 it just seemed like they did a whole bunch of r and d to make the cooler and then didn't even bother to change it to suit the AMD cards.

Why would you need to change cooler designs between AMD and Nvidia cards? 

Heat pipes dont correctly cover the GPU on the AMD cards.

The new DCU2 cooler was actually design for Kepler GK110 massive die size so when used on smaller size Tahiti/Hawaii core, most of the heatpipes didn't actually touching the die + older AMD GPU die placement was not perpendicular to the heatpipe, most of the die surface area only touching 1 heatpipe.

Asus R9-280x DCU2

cooler2.jpg

Asus GTX780 DCU2 - Heat is well distributed across 3 big heatpipes.

cooler2.jpg

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |