what kind of laptop do i buy in 2024?

im searching for a gaming laptop <= 1000$ price point. Im not living the US so its kinda complicated,so a laptop recommendation itself would be good but there are several things id like to know as well probably to make a decision.

Does laptop's gpu performance,price,power and pc's gpu a good comparison. i meant that,can i watch linus pc gpu comparison video, to use as knowledge to pick laptop gpu.

Also, any idea what are some good GPUs for that price point? preferably Nvidia

i also dont know what kinda CPU is best bang for the buck as well

regarding games played,my sister herself plays DBD which isnt the most extensive one, so this buying option is getting best bang for the buck performance. She also does some programming. A little less power consumption would be nice since electricity is a tad bit expensive here

3 minutes ago, VL_Hermes said:

a

Laptop GPU's are vastly underpowered compared to Desktop GPU counter parts by a pretty significant margin.  So you'd need to compare Laptop GPU videos not Desktop to laptop GPU. But....most CPU's nowadays are pretty powerful, really want you want is a rock solid GPU.

unfortunately im not well versed in gaming laptops. But.....if we can use desktop PC's as a reference point...

A: Find the best specs to the price
B: Compare laptop GPUs > Remember laptop GPU's are weaker than Desktops RTX 3060 on laptop =/= RTX 3060 desktop
C: stronger GPU even if you find a weaker CPU.
D: Get the best package for price if you find yourself comparing two laptops, which one offers more for the money?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

38 minutes ago, VL_Hermes said:

Does laptop's gpu performance,price,power and pc's gpu a good comparison. i meant that,can i watch linus pc gpu comparison video, to use as knowledge to pick laptop gpu.

No, the performance of laptop parts is not comparable to desktop parts, because they are much more constrained in terms of size, power and cooling capacity. In many cases a laptop GPU is actually a cut down version of the desktop part with the same name.

Even if two laptops contain the same GPU or CPU one might outperform the other by a significant margin. The reason for this might be better cooling or the manufacturer going with a lower TDP configuration.

For example many mobile CPUs have two TDP configurations, one for performance one for less power draw. It's up to the laptop's manufacturer to decide which one they go with.

So for laptops you really want to view benchmarks for the particular laptop and not the individual parts it contains.

Is there a particular reason your sister needs a laptop? Is it simply about the size of the system or does she need one that actually has decent battery life since she's on the go a lot? If she doesn't need the mobility, a desktop can generally provide much more bang for the buck.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

22 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

No, the performance of laptop parts is not comparable to desktop parts, because they are much more constrained in terms of size, power and cooling capacity. In many cases a laptop GPU is actually a cut down version of the desktop part with the same name.

Even if two laptops contain the same GPU or CPU one might outperform the other by a significant margin. The reason for this might be better cooling or the manufacturer going with a lower TDP configuration.

For example many mobile CPUs have two TDP configurations, one for performance one for less power draw. It's up to the laptop's manufacturer to decide which one they go with.

So for laptops you really want to view benchmarks for the particular laptop and not the individual parts it contains.

Is there a particular reason your sister needs a laptop? Is it simply about the size of the system or does she need one that actually has decent battery life since she's on the go a lot? If she doesn't need the mobility, a desktop can generally provide much more bang for the buck.

yeah, mobility is important for us since she doesnt really own a laptop in the first place and she does move a lot. So with all these complication regarding cooling and stuff, best i can do is watch youtube review ig? Any recommendation on that?

or maybe a trusted website for these infos?

1 hour ago, VL_Hermes said:

So with all these complication regarding cooling and stuff, best i can do is watch youtube review ig? Any recommendation on that?

Good places for laptop reviews are Notebookcheck.net (lots of reviews of all sort of laptops), ultrabookreview.com (smaller selection of reviews, but very high quality).

With your budget, you'll have to make some important decisions. Mainly do you either want the most performance or do you want a more portable/battery life oriented laptop. The best GPU you could get is probably a 4060 in that price point, but it might lead to you having an otherwise pretty bad laptop.

I'd also see if you can find something on the used market. Getting an older model can be worth it a lot of time.

And last, you could also think about getting something like a steam deck, if gaming is the primary use case. For everything else, you could get a cheap external monitor and a bluetooth keyboard / mouse. And you are good to go!

I'd second notebookcheck.net.

For YouTube, Jarrods Tech is specialized on notebooks, but I have no personal experience with the channel.

And yeah, you'll have to find some compromise between portability, battery life and performance.

For example if gaming on the go isn't needed, battery life likely isn't a primary concern. The more mobile the laptop needs to be, the more you'll want to focus on power efficiency if its components.

the only laptops I really can recommend these days are MacBooks, ThinkPads , and the Framework laptop.

For your budget though the best I can recommend is the Dell G15. I highly recommend the Framework Laptop 16 if you have the cash.

So currently im researching laptops, and for and example, im looking into is HP Victus 15-fa1094TX

I looked into their website, no clue gpu wattage nor if it has extra ram/ssd slot.
i look into youtube, while there are review for HP victus 15, it has different gpu and cpu and all around different versions as well.
I search for a review at websites, the same issue of only review of HP victus 15.

To be clear, while i want to know about this specific laptop, im more trying to know how i myself can search and find it out myself since im checking out different laptops rightnow. Any clue?

there's no one way to find out, since manufs are REALLY bad at disclosing details like that.

If it lists "max ram" that usually means there's one or two slots.

Another option is youtube to find "teardown videos" 

GPU?  Good luck.  No clue. Ask support?

I have a victis 16, with 75w 3050ti, and it DOES have upgradable RAM and storage (RAM may require HP OEM to run at full speed), and I've currently got a 2tb p660 in there. 

for laptop programmer, is there anything about maybe you shouldnt get a ryzen cpu. cuz i heard there are compatibility issues and stuff.

to note : i do play games if that has anything to do with topic

so i know there are wattage and stuff, but i still wanna ask. we found like 2 lenovo laptop that has a diff about 70-80$ for a laptop that has 4050 instead of 3050. any idea if thats worth or not. and since the price is kinda addition with other stuff, i wanna ask as well your like, price point for 3050 to 4050 upgrade that is considered "worth it" maybe 100$ still worth, or something else

Any 3060 ones?

Keep in mind these low end gaming laptops fall behind SUPER QUICK as they are basically good enough for right now and a year or 2 after but then basically become all low settings systems.

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Any 3060 ones?

Keep in mind these low end gaming laptops fall behind SUPER QUICK as they are basically good enough for right now and a year or 2 after but then basically become all low settings systems.

not many, and even then their price is the same as 4050 ones basically

Doesnt matter one fucking bit.

As long as you get a cpu that is good enough for your tasks all is fine.

Of course in laptops this matters more since well most cheap gaming laptops have cruddy cooling and intel is the less efficient chip usually. So going ryzen tends to help there.

40 minutes ago, VL_Hermes said:

cuz i heard there are compatibility issues and stuff.

compatibility issues with what?

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

compatibility issues with what?

im not sure, its just ppl saying maybe its hearsay.

tho,thanks guys,i think ill get AMD instead then

1 minute ago, VL_Hermes said:

im not sure, its just ppl saying maybe its hearsay.

tho,thanks guys,i think ill get AMD instead then

IDK where you've read that but no, there should be no issues whatsoever.

1 hour ago, VL_Hermes said:

cuz i heard there are compatibility issues and stuff.

When talking about GPUs, maybe. As far as CPUs are concerned, no. Anything that runs on an AMD CPU will run on an Intel CPU and vice versa.

Screenshot2024-06-23234704.thumb.jpg.a8e7f499677c5171a1a6f452934dbfb4.jpg

Here is a video and the on paper specs.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 hours ago, VL_Hermes said:

so i know there are wattage and stuff, but i still wanna ask. we found like 2 lenovo laptop that has a diff about 70-80$ for a laptop that has 4050 instead of 3050. any idea if thats worth or not. and since the price is kinda addition with other stuff, i wanna ask as well your like, price point for 3050 to 4050 upgrade that is considered "worth it" maybe 100$ still worth, or something else

the performance varies wildly depending on the tdp of the gpu

gaming system: R7 3700X @ 4.25Ghz cpu / B450 STEEL LEGEND mobo / 4x8gb corsair Vengeance @3333Mhz ram / RX 7900XTX pulse gpu / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler /Coolermaster Qube 500 case / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w power supply

laptop: Dell xps 9510, 3.5k OLED, i7 11800h, rtx 3050 ti, 2x16gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, 1TB main drive, 2TB add in ssd

-= Several Topics Merged =-

Being each of the merged topics are of the same subject, it is appropriate to keep a subject in the same conversation/ thread. This is a forum not Facebook, reddit or twitter[X].

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 4050 6gb 792$
LENOVO LOQ 15 GeForce RTX™ 3050 6GB 875$

so i was deciding between these 2 laptops and the diff is as i see, that the loq has a bit better cpu and ideapad has a wee more refresh rate (which i dont care since 144 to 165 is like nothing)
so im wondering do you guys think its worth the extra 83$ for the 4050 gpu?

im wondering for an upgrade from 13450hx to 12450hx, how much money do you guys think is considered "worth" for the performance upgrade. Asking this to know more about what is the current value of the cpus