Switching from Samsung to an iPhone

Just use whatever phone looks cool and has the features you want. Theyre all phones, theyre all the same boring glass brick you use to shitpost and take mediocre photos.

I prefer iphones because im just used to them, ive used one since the iphone 4S and before that with an ipod touch. But within the last year i just gave up on smart phones in general because even ios isnt what i want anymore. 

But ive used android on and off and its the same thing, whatever calls/texts and has a functional web browser is good enough, and both android and ios do that fine.

2 hours ago, MiszS said:

Literally scanning through your photos, to "see if you have anything illegal". Maybe you can transfer files through USB now, but I'm pretty sure you couldn't do it before. How is the lack of quality of life features, ignorance on my end? Why isn't there a basic thing like the back button, call recording, or even customize anything, because you don't have to be an enthusiast to not like the stock look. Even all of those aside, not everyone wants, or has that kind of money to spend on a phone, for literally $900 you will get a 60Hz display, if this isn't a scam idk what is. Same with the storage, if you want to have any decent amount of storage, you have to pay an insane markup for it, and while you also pay extra for storage in android phones, it's still not as much, with the option to get a phone with a microSD card slot, like the A55, which is a fairly high end phone.

Look, there is a reason that iPhones are used at all. If they were intolerable to use, then people wouldn’t use them. Obviously people use them, and that isn’t because of an ecosystem lock in.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

My dad switched from Android to iOS years ago, hasn't looked back. I've always had an iPhone since my first phone, I've toyed with Androids but aside from hobby shenanigans I don't enjoy them as a daily device. iOS is more limited, but it also just works, and at the end of the day that's what I want out of my phone. Same reason I use macOS on my work machine. My home stuff is all Windows or sometimes Linux, as it always working is a nicety, not a necessity. And all my games are best played (or only playable) on Windows. 

56 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Look, there is a reason that iPhones are used at all. If they were intolerable to use, then people wouldn’t use them. Obviously people use them, and that isn’t because of an ecosystem lock in.

Being tolerable to use is the only functional lock-in if you're a basic iPhone/Mac user. Unless you branch out to the headphones and such (which work with any bluetooth device, but only their basic functions, you need iOS/macOS to use all of it) you're basically "locked in" by the devices being good and working together. It boggles my mind that Microsoft and Google have never agreed to sit down and figure out a convenience feature like AirDrop, which I use all the time. Way more convenient than a thumb drive or having to email myself something. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I could not be happier. In 2020 I thought, huh, I've had flagship Android based phones since like 2009, lets see what an iPhone is all about. 

Picked up a new 12 Pro Max that I still have today and i'm so happy I did, this is just a better experience. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

1 hour ago, GoStormPlays said:

Yeah, and that is the people that think it's a status symbol. The only good reason i can think of to use an iPhone, is that it has better video recording, and proprietary software like iMessage

1 hour ago, Zando_ said:

Being tolerable to use is the only functional lock-in if you're a basic iPhone/Mac user. Unless you branch out to the headphones and such (which work with any bluetooth device, but only their basic functions, you need iOS/macOS to use all of it) you're basically "locked in" by the devices being good and working together. It boggles my mind that Microsoft and Google have never agreed to sit down and figure out a convenience feature like AirDrop, which I use all the time. Way more convenient than a thumb drive or having to email myself something. 

Other companies have those lock-ins too, it’s not exclusive to Apple. 

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

8 minutes ago, MiszS said:

Yeah, and that is the people that think it's a status symbol. The only good reason i can think of to use an iPhone, is that it has better video recording, and proprietary software like iMessage

Whether people think it’s a status symbol doesn’t strengthen or weaken the case made. We’re talking about whether they’re objectively good or not. 

There are benefits to using one or the other, but it really comes down to the type of person you are.

In the early days from my HTC Evo 4G through my Nexus 5, I was a serial ROM flasher. Latest build of Cynanogen mod seemingly every week being flashed to the phone, lived inside fastboot and ODIN (If you are an OG Android tinkerer, you know). 

When I got my first OnePlus, it was the first time I thought huh, this just works, I don't have to flash it with something else. Then I got my second, and my third and by that point, I just wanted a phone to be a phone and just function. So I tried iPhone. 

Its that same experience just perfected. Apple knows what the hell they're doing.

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

7 hours ago, HippY said:

I feel like it is time for me to get a new phone after having my s21 ultra for 3 years, as the screen is broken and I'm a bit bored of it. The bored Ness made me think to switch to an iPhone to see how the other side looks after not having an iPhone for like 7 years. I had Samsung phones (Note 8 and now S21 Ultra) for the past year and I had a iPhone 6s plus before. 

Does anyone have experience switching to an iPhone after having android for a while and how was it? I'm looking at 15 pro or S24 ultra 

Went from a OnePlus 3T to an iPhone XR many years ago. Honestly wasn't hard to switch. I really enjoyed iOS and honestly I still have the same phone, the XR has been an excellent device. Shit, I even bought a Macbook Pro due to how good this phone has been. One thing that sucks in certain apps are not on the App store due to how the iPhone works. Like the WiFi analyzer app I used to use on Android. Thats a small price to pay. Apple pay is awesome, I like being able to get my Text and calls on my macbook. For the most part the phone just works. I havent had any major issues. Its been more stable than an experience I had on Android. Currently waiting for the iPhone 16, I figure going from an XR to a 16 should be a very nice upgrade.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 hours ago, Agall said:

especially tech savvy people.

Honestly, I think that's the problem. It's only difficult for tech savvy people because they use their phone and so many services for so much.

Normies just sign into email, look at socials, send messages via FB/IG/Whatsapp, and snap pictures. Both ecosystems are equally capable.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

9 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Honestly, I think that's the problem. It's only difficult for tech savvy people because they use their phone and so many services for so much.

Normies just sign into email, look at socials, send messages via FB/IG/Whatsapp, and snap pictures. Both ecosystems are equally capable.

There's a bit of a learning curve to swapping since some things are fundamentally different. I personally still struggle to remember how the non Touch ID iPhones access the home menu, as an example. Most people also would rather not deal with the hassle of switching phones in the first place, where both have a cloning/backup system to assist in that.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017