Corsair RM1000 vs AX-860i

Arkaea
Go to solution Solved by daemonowner,

It's unfortunate they don't have the 850W Supernova G2. 1000W is more than you need.

How about a Cooler Master V850 or Seasonic Platinum 860W?

EDIT: I see the Cooler Master V850 for 162.90 on the website you linked. Also, I see the AX860 for 167.90, the RM850 for 139.20, and the AX860i for 189.90.

The V850, AX860 and AX860i are all very good units. If budget is not really an issue, I would recommend these over the RM Series. Besides that, it comes down to which one you like the look of, or things like warranty length and customer support in Portugal.

@quan289

Hi everyone, greetings from Portugal!

This is my actual first post on LTT forums, been a great follower of the Youtube channel and I'm hoping for the same regarding the forum.

Ever since I bought my first gaming pc I always wanted the best I could afford, it has been 6 years since I bought my last one and now I'm thinking about getting a new one cause I'm looking forward to start working with image and video editing, streaming and keep on going with my "hardcore" gaming sessions. With my current pc I'm "only" able to play games decently (using a dualcore 3.2, 8gb ddr2 ram and evga gtx 660 ti sc at the moment) and I was thinking about upgrading to a new one for like 8 years or more, if possible. This is the hardware I'm thinking about getting right now:

ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION SOCKET 2011

INTEL CORE I7 4930K 3.4GHZ 12M LGA2011

GSKILL TRIDENT X 32GB DDR3 2400MHZ CL10

EVGA GTX TITAN BLACK SC SIG 6GB GDDR5

SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB SATA 3 2.5 SSD

WD GREEN 1TB SATA III

WD GREEN 3TB SATA III

In time I'll had some Corsair LED fans to my case, 1x140mm and around 7x120mm, aswell some red cold cathods (probably 2) and maybe another gtx titan black.

Now my whole purpose of this topic is to know which PSU I should choose, I cant decide between the Corsair RM1000 and the AX-860i. I ran a simulation at extreme.outervision.com with the components I'd need to start with and I ended up with aprox 560watt psu needed. I'm thinking probably the 860i is more than enough even with the upgrades I'm thinking about doing, or do I really need the 1000watts from the RM1000? Concerning prices the RM1000 is 30€ cheaper than the 860i where I'm going to get it from, so the price is not the issue here.

I hope I posted the topic in the right section, looking forward to know your opinions.

Cheers!

Don't get a bunch of overly expensive parts and not upgrade for 8 years. Technology doesn't work that way--it gets better and cheaper with time. You're better off getting what you need now and saving any extra money for more frequent future upgrades. 

Are you planning to sli?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you're going to add another Titan Black, I would go with 850W. 1000W is more than you should need, and the RM series is all marketing. Wouldn't recommend the RM1000 for those reasons. The AX860 or AX860i are good though expensive units. Also look for the EVGA Supernova G2 850W wherever you might buy your components from.

@WoodenMarker Yep.

and maybe another gtx titan black.

I would check your product choices again, while the RM is cheaper, and the 860 is really good, they look like an overkill.

Your system, as high end as it is can be changed, reducing performance very little, but cutting the price to half.

The best advice I can give you, is get a new system every 2-3 with components that offer the best value in therms of price/performance. The ultra-high end stuff never offers good value, is pretty costly, and in 5 years will be overpowered by the mainstream consumer products.

Now you can get a 4770k, and in 3 years upgrade to a refined 14nm CPU with more cores and more performance, on a new motherboard with features we yet don't have. Getting a 4930k and a X79 mobo, is investing too much money on a platform that is getting replaced this year by Haswell-e and X99.

If you're going to add another Titan Black, I would go with 850W. 1000W is more than you should need, and the RM series is all marketing. Wouldn't recommend the RM1000 for those reasons. The AX860 or AX860i are good though expensive units. Also look for the EVGA Supernova G2 850W wherever you might buy your components from.

@WoodenMarker Yep.

The store where I'm buying the components from doesnt have that specific model, the ones they have are these ones concerning the eVGA's:

EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX750B 80+ BRONZE 105.90€

EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX750G 80+ GOLD MODULAR 109.90€

EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000 G2 80+ GOLD 167.90€

I apreciate all your opinions regarding the build, but my main concern here is the PSU.

The store where I'm buying the components from doesnt have that specific model, the ones they have are these ones concerning the eVGA's:

EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX750B 80+ BRONZE 105.90€

EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX750G 80+ GOLD MODULAR 109.90€

EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000 G2 80+ GOLD 167.90€

I apreciate all your opinions regarding the build, but my main concern here is the PSU.

Can you link us to where you're shopping?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's unfortunate they don't have the 850W Supernova G2. 1000W is more than you need.

How about a Cooler Master V850 or Seasonic Platinum 860W?

EDIT: I see the Cooler Master V850 for 162.90 on the website you linked. Also, I see the AX860 for 167.90, the RM850 for 139.20, and the AX860i for 189.90.

The V850, AX860 and AX860i are all very good units. If budget is not really an issue, I would recommend these over the RM Series. Besides that, it comes down to which one you like the look of, or things like warranty length and customer support in Portugal.

@quan289

Considering the pricing, you might as well go with the CM v850. 

Thank you very much for the quick replies, I'll pick the 860i =)

Thank you very much for the quick replies, I'll pick the 860i =)

The v850 is cheaper and better though.