Stuttering, Crashing, with new 4070 Super GPU

Posted (edited)

Hi all, I have been having some issues with my PC after installing my new MSI 4070 Super. I have been dealing with them over the past few months, hoping that they would go away and doing work with the drivers (using ddu to uninstall everything and installing the drivers fresh without the ), but nothing has helped. In particular, the games that I play tend to crash often (Star Wars Battlefront II and Jedi Survivor), usually after I try to move to another multiplayer match or just while nothing is happening. Graphics are also not as good on the game as they should be, despite the fact that I have such a powerful GPU. Not to mention, my computer loads pretty slow when I start it up, despite having a pretty fast system, and stuff like the calculator program and other programs freeze, then cause the screen to blink for a second. I'm pretty sure that it is something with either my GPU or PSU, though I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts.

Kind Regards,

WeTuLo707

My Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($265.48 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H60x RGB ELITE 47.73 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $80.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660 GAMING X AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($174.63 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.74 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *MSI GAMING X SLIM GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card  ($604.00 @ Newegg)
Case: MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($92.19 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair HX750 Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($199.99 @ Amazon)

Edited by WeTuLo707
Extra Details

have you applied any of the 12 bios updates the board has had

how old is the windows install

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

have you applied any of the 12 bios updates the board has had

how old is the windows install

I have not done BIOS updates since I installed the mobo back in 2022. I did the ones that they recommended at that time though. The Windows install is recent. It is Windows 11.

Just now, WeTuLo707 said:

I have not done BIOS updates since I installed the mobo back in 2022.

maybe that should get done then

1 minute ago, WeTuLo707 said:

The Windows install is recent. It is Windows 11.

is it stable with windows 10

It doesn’t take much for both of those Starwars games to crash for me. Both are in shittiest games that was released in the last decade. 

Also bigLITTLE CPUs perform better in W11 I think 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

It doesn’t take much for both of those Starwars games to crash for me. Both are in shittiest games that was released in the last decade. 

Also bigLITTLE CPUs perform better in W11 I think 

Hahahahah. Well, that is true when it comes to them working, lol.

I don't think so. I updated to Windows 11 while I had the 4070 as it was stuttering under my free copy of Windows 10. I'll try the mobo update and see if that helps. Tbf, I have not been a great fan of this board since I got it.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

What would be some symptoms if it was the PSU?

4 minutes ago, WeTuLo707 said:

What would be some symptoms if it was the PSU?

any electrical load would cause it to shut off or crash

The power supply is one of the few analog components in the build and usually would cause more basic functionality issues rather than software dependent issues.

23 minutes ago, WeTuLo707 said:

(Star Wars Battlefront II and Jedi Survivor), usually after I try to move to another multiplayer match or just while nothing is happening. Graphics are also not as good on the game as they should be, despite the fact that I have such a powerful GPU. Not to mention, my computer loads pretty slow when I start it up, despite having a pretty fast system, and stuff like the calculator program and other programs freeze, then cause the screen to blink for a second

this to me sounds more software related than hardware

but if the bios update doesn;t work then remove one of the ram sticks and see if it's more stable with just one installed instead of two

any electrical load would cause it to shut off or crash

The power supply is one of the few analog components in the build and usually would cause more basic functionality issues rather than software dependent issues.

this to me sounds more software related than hardware

but if the bios update doesn;t work then remove one of the ram sticks and see if it's more stable with just one installed instead of two

Gotcha, I'll try that. I have been having "memory" errors that have been popping up lately.

1 hour ago, WeTuLo707 said:

Hi all, I have been having some issues with my PC after installing my new MSI 4070 Super. I have been dealing with them over the past few months, hoping that they would go away and doing work with the drivers (using ddu to uninstall everything and installing the drivers fresh without the ), but nothing has helped. In particular, the games that I play tend to crash often (Star Wars Battlefront II and Jedi Survivor), usually after I try to move to another multiplayer match or just while nothing is happening. Graphics are also not as good on the game as they should be, despite the fact that I have such a powerful GPU. Not to mention, my computer loads pretty slow when I start it up, despite having a pretty fast system, and stuff like the calculator program and other programs freeze, then cause the screen to blink for a second. I'm pretty sure that it is something with either my GPU or PSU, though I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts.

Kind Regards,

WeTuLo707

My Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($265.48 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H60x RGB ELITE 47.73 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $80.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660 GAMING X AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($174.63 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.74 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *MSI GAMING X SLIM GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card  ($604.00 @ Newegg)
Case: MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($92.19 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair HX750 Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($199.99 @ Amazon)

Smells like corrupted Windows install, you should reinstall it fully

Don't think the GPU is at fault and pretty sure the PSU isn't, it's just an electric transformer, it gives power or don't; possibly the board can be the culprit

Also update BIOS to latest version

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Ok, so continuation of the stuff from earlier. I updated the BIOS to the latest version, which made the PC slightly faster and made the VGA light on the motherboard turn off for a while. The light returned and the PC has continued to crash or stutter heavily on GPU heavy applications, such as AAA games, 4k videos, etc. I also had one quick BSOD, showed up and restarted the system. I recently acquired a 4k monitor and it has gotten worse. After updating the BIOS, I checked the RAM in a healthy PC. Both sticks worked fine. I also reinstalled Windows 11, I am currently cleaning up my desktop after doing it.

It still has the crashing/stuttering on GPU heavy applications. Kinda leaning toward it being the motherboard. Does this seem like a logical assumption?

- WeTuLo707

On 5/25/2024 at 4:42 PM, WeTuLo707 said:

Ok, so continuation of the stuff from earlier. I updated the BIOS to the latest version, which made the PC slightly faster and made the VGA light on the motherboard turn off for a while. The light returned and the PC has continued to crash or stutter heavily on GPU heavy applications, such as AAA games, 4k videos, etc. I also had one quick BSOD, showed up and restarted the system. I recently acquired a 4k monitor and it has gotten worse. After updating the BIOS, I checked the RAM in a healthy PC. Both sticks worked fine. I also reinstalled Windows 11, I am currently cleaning up my desktop after doing it.

It still has the crashing/stuttering on GPU heavy applications. Kinda leaning toward it being the motherboard. Does this seem like a logical assumption?

- WeTuLo707

honestlydepending on its age this does sound more like power supply to me, some older corsair power supplies had an issue where once they hit a certain amount of power draw they'd heat up and disengage some solder points, its also a little under powered for your setup, id try replacing it first before blaming your mobo, and if it is indeed your mobo at least you've upgraded to a newer psu with better  power delivery

On 5/19/2024 at 12:49 AM, PDifolco said:

it's just an electric transformer, it gives power or don't

nah tons of stuff that can go wrong with a psu...

for example i had a bequiet 700w "straight power" for a week... constant crashing, bsods... 

put back my bequiet 500w "pure power"... no issues...

bought a corsair rmx 650w... no issues...

was the straight power defect? maybe but i don't actually think so it just wasn't fit for the purpose (high transient power spikes) is more likely. 

corrupted windows? well probably not as im still on that same windows install years later lol.

point is the psu "worked", kinda... if we ignore the 10-20 "mysterious" crashes a day. 🙂

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 5/26/2024 at 1:42 AM, WeTuLo707 said:

I checked the RAM in a healthy PC

that unfortunately doesn't mean much, if ram works in one pc / board that doesn't necessarily mean there wont be issues on another pc / board. ram is delicate. 

am currently cleaning up my desktop after doing it.

uh oh... meaning?

Kinda leaning toward it being the motherboard. Does this seem like a logical assumption?

logical yes - but its just a guess, since you haven't replaced any other components (afaik?) we'll only know after the fact.

Also using the known to be less stable, newer windows version is problematic in my opinion. if it was me I'd use 10 at least until those issues may it be hardware or software are resolved.

ps: production date of the PSU?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 5/18/2024 at 11:15 PM, WeTuLo707 said:

Star Wars Battlefront II and Jedi Survivor

btw its not a good idea to assume a hardware or software related issue just because two games from a known shoddy developer don't work as you expected.

Recommend running Firestrike (free demo on Steam) and *link* the results here so we can see if there's actually an issue with the pc (leaning towards no, until proven otherwise) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 5/19/2024 at 1:49 AM, PDifolco said:

Don't think the GPU is at fault and pretty sure the PSU isn't, it's just an electric transformer, it gives power or don't; possibly the board can be the culprit

This is frankly an utterly ignorant statement regarding PSUs. There's a lot more to them than just "giving power or not".

Ever heard the terminology, dirty power? A bad PSU might as well give you ripple in the power resulting in giving the power while offering a lot of dirt there...

and this is just one very basic example as to how PSUs can be bad, there are tons of others.

2 hours ago, Motifator said:

This is frankly an utterly ignorant statement regarding PSUs. There's a lot more to them than just "giving power or not".

Ever heard the terminology, dirty power? A bad PSU might as well give you ripple in the power resulting in giving the power while offering a lot of dirt there...

and this is just one very basic example as to how PSUs can be bad, there are tons of others.

Yeah yeah in theory...but OP has a friggin HX750 Platinum!

Chances that problem comes from the PSU are close to 0 imo, I repeat 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

uh oh... meaning?

The new Windows 11 install removed my old exe files on my desktop. I had to install them again, which while tedious, is something that I am not unfamiliar with.

I was able to get my games working, by doing a little tweaking from the inside settings. As many have pointed out, they were not the best made games in terms of code.

Regarding the crashes themselves, it is not related to the PSU. I have generally only had crashes with the games recently, not any of the other programs. I reverted back a BIOS or two and that seemed to make something of a difference with the instability. Rather, after doing a bit of digging with HW Monitor and other programs, I found that I seemed to be having trouble with heat. I don't have the largest radiator for my machine and my case does not provide the best in airflow. I'm going to fix this in time and that should fix the stuttering and crashing completely.

5 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Yeah yeah in theory...but OP has a friggin HX750 Platinum!

Hahah, I take that as a compliment. I purposely bought an overpowered PSU because I live in an area with frequent power outages. I didn't want my expensive equipment getting fried when the stupid electric company was pulling switches with their toes.

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Also using the known to be less stable, newer windows version is problematic in my opinion. if it was me I'd use 10 at least until those issues may it be hardware or software are resolved.

As I said earlier, Win 10 was not stable for me either. TBH, I wish we were back in the old days with XP or Win 7, when you didn't have to worry as much about the OS pooping itself.

On 5/26/2024 at 9:12 PM, Erick_S said:

honestlydepending on its age this does sound more like power supply to me, some older corsair power supplies had an issue where once they hit a certain amount of power draw they'd heat up and disengage some solder points, its also a little under powered for your setup, id try replacing it first before blaming your mobo, and if it is indeed your mobo at least you've upgraded to a newer psu with better  power delivery

I hate to say it, but I think overheating is the issue. I noticed pretty high temps when I tested my system, which I should not be getting.