Looking for a Recommendation

Looking for a switch that meets or exceeds Dell X1018P features, within its footprint, for a conference room table, but fanless or silent. We need to Managed, VLAN, Configuration Backup, and PoE features. We don't need SFP ports, but we're just looking to replace an old crappy pakedge switch with something that's less of a wind turbine.

Biggest odd feature to consider is footprint - it has to physically fit within the space, Dell X1018P footprint is as big as it can be, and I'd prefer smaller if possible.

According to this spec sheet, the dimensions for the X1018P are 1.62" x 8.23" x 17.72" or 4.125cm x 20.9cm x 45cm.

There is the TL-SG1218MPE V3.20 that seems to fit the bill, but it's oriented in the other direction - not sure if that's an issue here. It's also ever so slightly taller, but also a bit thinner - 1.7" x 7.1" x 17.3" or 4.4cm x 18cm x 44cm.

21 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

According to this spec sheet, the dimensions for the X1018P are 1.62" x 8.23" x 17.72" or 4.125cm x 20.9cm x 45cm.

There is the TL-SG1218MPE V3.20 that seems to fit the bill, but it's oriented in the other direction - not sure if that's an issue here. It's also ever so slightly taller, but also a bit thinner - 1.7" x 7.1" x 17.3" or 4.4cm x 18cm x 44cm.

Thanks! That's helpful. Do you have experience with it? I see it has two fans, and some reviews are saying it's pretty loud. That's one of the major concerns with it going in a conference room right under the table. But if you have experience with it and it's super quiet I'll trust ya. 

35 minutes ago, JJackson said:

Thanks! That's helpful. Do you have experience with it? I see it has two fans, and some reviews are saying it's pretty loud. That's one of the major concerns with it going in a conference room right under the table. But if you have experience with it and it's super quiet I'll trust ya. 

I don't have experience with it, unfortunately. It's just the only one I could find that seems to fit your criteria. I didn't do an exhaustive search, but it seems like the X1018P is pretty compact for a 16+ port managed PoE switch.

As for the fans, you're going to have a really hard time finding one that's fanless with this criteria. Between the compact size, hardware for it to be managed, the large number of ports, and the fact that it needs to provide power with PoE, I'd be pretty surprised if you can find anything without at least one fan.

We're talking a few hundred watts of power in a small space - you can't really do that without either fans, or a huge heatsink. Fanless and compact don't really go together for managed PoE switches.

Maybe someone else here knows of something that could at least be relatively quiet?

Yeah, the only thing I've found that fits so far is this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CN2SB81T

I'm not prone toward using it because how the frick do you say, "Zhpuostd"? I've Googled them even and I can't find anything. 

But I have used similar switches for outdoor applications and they've worked, so who knows?

Maybe NETGEAR GS324TP ?  S350 Smart Switches - GS324TP | NETGEAR

a bit lower poe budget at 190w  compared to ~250w for your dell, but do you really use even 100w ?  Otherwise it seem to have higher switching speed (52 Gbit versus 36 Gbit)

It does have fans but on the sides, and the datasheet claims they're fairly low noise at 32 dB

You will have fans in any switch that has a big PoE budget, because that dc-dc conversion circuit that produces ~ 200w for the ports is not 100% efficient  If you don't actually use the PoE part, the fans should stop spinning or spin at low rpm and therefore be fairly silent

Trendnet has some switches that may fit the bill  but the specs says fans go up to 52 dB ... no idea if they have variable speed

ex Amazon.com: TRENDnet 28-Port Gigabit Web Smart PoE+ Switch, 24 x Gigabit Ports, 4 x Shared Gigabit Ports (RJ-45 or SFP), 185W PoE Budget, 56Gbps Switching Capacity, Lifetime Protection, Black, TPE-2840WS : Electronics

This looks good - it'd be better if the ports were on the short side, but it's good. Are there any smaller more industrial style switches y'all have used that you're confident in? Made for the heat, ready to dish out PoE with a fan, passively cooled?