casioak g shock solar GA-B2100 replaceable batterys

bezza...

hi

im about to buy a g shock specificly the GA-B2100 and im worried about the total life span of the battery, from what ive read from other stories they can last decades but some people whos (admitadly let the battery drain and left it which is what your apparently not ment to do) watches have died.

basicly cutting to the chase im wondering if its possible to change the battery in this watch so in ~20 years if it stops working i can replace it and keep the watch going

thanks in advanse for looking at my probbably usless question

edit: found a video of some guy disasembling it and theres the battery... however on the watch manual it says that replacing it will damage the watch. but ofc there going to say that. recon if i can find a battery online that matches il be able to do it?

image.thumb.png.fab0926196917b244dab16e92f1182a6.png

Well Casio doesn't want the general public trying to just replace the "batteries" themselves. You can get the parts. Whether you can do it, well that depends on your skill level.

I will say I have a GShock and a couple Citizens that are solar that are solar that are easily over ten years old and still going without issue. 

I'm not sure what battery it has in it. Normally, watch batteries aren't rechargeable. I assume it must be unique to this, and maybe a few other Casio watches, so picking up a replacement in 20 years is unlikely. But if it has done 20 years, maybe time to treat yourself to a new watch?

If you want one that will last almost indefinitely, I'd recommend a non-solar one.  It will use a standard battery, which should be available for decades to come.

35 minutes ago, bezza... said:

hi

im about to buy a g shock specificly the GA-B2100 and im worried about the total life span of the battery, from what ive read from other stories they can last decades but some people whos (admitadly let the battery drain and left it which is what your apparently not ment to do) watches have died.

basicly cutting to the chase im wondering if its possible to change the battery in this watch so in ~20 years if it stops working i can replace it and keep the watch going

thanks in advanse for looking at my probbably usless question

edit: found a video of some guy disasembling it and theres the battery... however on the watch manual it says that replacing it will damage the watch. but ofc there going to say that. recon if i can find a battery online that matches il be able to do it?

image.thumb.png.fab0926196917b244dab16e92f1182a6.png

Has there been battery life issues? I've had a G-Shock Rangeman for almost a decade and its battery is always at max.

I've had it full drain for a while when I wasn't wearing it for a couple years as well.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

even if you get a replacement, it will be just as dead in 20 years as the one in the watch. Will they make a replacement model in 20 years? no one knows.

Take the $15 you'd spend on the replacement now, invest it, and youll have enough to buy a new watch in 20 years

I have the similar GW6900-1 digital face g-shock solar watch for 3 years now and have had no issues with it.  I work night shift so it only gets sunlight 2-3 days a week and it stays charged fine even with the majority of it's light being indoor led lamps.  The rubber and plastic the thing is made out of is probably going to degrade faster than the battery if you wear it on a regular basis.

14 hours ago, matt0725 said:

even if you get a replacement, it will be just as dead in 20 years as the one in the watch. Will they make a replacement model in 20 years? no one knows.

Take the $15 you'd spend on the replacement now, invest it, and youll have enough to buy a new watch in 20 years

yh i know its not about the money just like the idea that it will last forever

15 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

I'm not sure what battery it has in it. Normally, watch batteries aren't rechargeable. I assume it must be unique to this, and maybe a few other Casio watches, so picking up a replacement in 20 years is unlikely. But if it has done 20 years, maybe time to treat yourself to a new watch?

If you want one that will last almost indefinitely, I'd recommend a non-solar one.  It will use a standard battery, which should be available for decades to come.

yh this one is rechargable

15 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Well Casio doesn't want the general public trying to just replace the "batteries" themselves. You can get the parts. Whether you can do it, well that depends on your skill level.

I will say I have a GShock and a couple Citizens that are solar that are solar that are easily over ten years old and still going without issue. 

where would you recomend i get the battery from? say i want to buy one now which i might cus