XeSS.. hero, who can save AMD !

Well, just installed Forbidden West after some time, and now there is XeSS 1.3 fully supported. And I have to admit, that it's doing a really great job. Last time I've tested it, by replacing a file, it wasn't without some issues with quality, but now ? Damn, I would say I playing on DLSS 🤷🏻..

Since I have 7800XT, and I'm condemned on FSR.. I'm really grateful for XeSS.. also it's quite sad, intel was able to do such a great upscaling (without AI), when FSR still looks like dog shit.. 

FSR 2.1 was the last FSR I was Okey to use, but after FSR 2.2 (which is also used in FSR 3) it's just so terrible bad..  

I really hope AMD will finally move out from the shadows of DLSS and now XeSS, with their FSR 3.1 because it's really late..  if AMD will wait any longer, then we gonna see Snapdragon making upscaling way beyond FSR at the first time of the try lol 

Every time I've tried XeSS on AMD it was smearing terribly in motion. Is it better with 1.3?

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Every time I've tried XeSS on AMD it was smearing terribly in motion. Is it better with 1.3?

It had some pixelation like FSR (where FSR much more), but still better than TAA in this game, but that was by replacing dll files. Now after they added it through update, image is so much cleaner, without pixelation on foliage, and if only FSR 3.1 would looks like that, I would be more than satisfied. 

I don't have this game, but I found XeSS to be the best looking in Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth. I don't recall if they mentioned a specific version, and I'm on Nvidia hardware so I had DLSS too. XeSS on NV beat both to my eyes. Basically XeSS seemed to have best temporal stability, so you don't get anywhere near as much flickering of fine details. As a small price to pay, in side by side screenshots it also looked slightly softer, but I think it was a price worth playing as you really don't notice it in normal play.

I also wonder if FSR 3.1 will be the fix that is badly needed on AMD's side. It does seem to be what they're claiming in the teaser they provided previously. I have tried FSR2.x/3.0 on above and also Forspoken, and in both cases it made character hair look really bad. That made it unusable to me.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

FSR 3.1 will also decouple the frame generation and upscaling features. This will give everyone access to frame generation while using [someone else's] or [no] upscaling.

That and they are still working to improve their upscaling image quality.

AMD does not have deep pockets like Intel and Nvidia. They are already offering more raw raster for the same $ and is the only reason we still have our kidneys. Relax and enjoy some wine.

5 hours ago, Salted Spinach said:

AMD does not have deep pockets like Intel and Nvidia. They are already offering more raw raster for the same $ and is the only reason we still have our kidneys. Relax and enjoy some wine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no assaulting AMD for being the worst. Otherwise I wouldn't ever buy their tech, but they are offering best prices to performance ratio, and I only mentioning about quality of FSR. 

4K FRS Quality, isn't that bad in some games, but still pixelating. Not even mention about 800p (for handhelds) or 1080p with FSR 🤦🏻

So If 3.1 will fix the pixelization, especially on lower resolutions, then AMD will be on top with pricing and quality IMO. But we have to wait as FSR 3.1 still must to be implemented manually into the game by Devs 🤷🏻

If only AMD would made this as easy to replace as other upscalings, by just replacing a files. 

4 hours ago, EdoTensei said:

4K FRS Quality, isn't that bad in some games, but still pixelating. Not even mention about 800p (for handhelds) or 1080p with FSR 🤦🏻

So If 3.1 will fix the pixelization, especially on lower resolutions...

Upscaling is bad at low resolution, regardless of which method is used (DLSS, FSR , XeSS) because the accuracy of prediction and extrapolation depends on the input sample size.

4 hours ago, EdoTensei said:

...But we have to wait as FSR 3.1 still must to be implemented manually into the game by Devs 🤷🏻

If only AMD would made this as easy to replace as other upscalings, by just replacing a files. 

There already user made upscaling and frame gen mods that you can drop some files into the installation folder, tricks the game into thinking it is DLSS, but is actually a custom FSR or XeSS implementation.

The game has to support DLSS in the first place.

Of course, newer FSR has to be released before it can be turned into a mod. Is this not also the case for XeSS?

26 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

Upscaling is bad at low resolution, regardless of which method is used (DLSS, FSR , XeSS) because the accuracy of prediction and extrapolation depends on the input sample size.

Yes of course, but still DLSS doing the best job on lower resolutions, even XeSS, while FSR I just so much pixelated mess. But If FSR 3.1 will fix this, then I may consider some handheld. 

I will sell my PC, buy PS5 Pro and some Handheld 🤭.

29 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

There already user made upscaling and frame gen mods that you can drop some files into the installation folder, tricks the game into thinking it is DLSS, but is actually a custom FSR or XeSS implementation.

The game has to support DLSS in the first place.

Of course, newer FSR has to be released before it can be turned into a mod. Is this not also the case for XeSS?

As far as I know, there is only mod for Nvidia GPUs, to use Nvidia Frame Gen on 2000 and 3000 RTX series. 

Also DLSS and XeSS, are replaceable files in the game folder, but FSR have to be implemented each time manually by developers into the game engine. 

But some sources saying that there is some work on AMD site, to do FSR same as other replaceable. But can't say for sure.