NAS for VM/sever/storage?

Hey, so I’m a bit new to the whole NAS thing. I’m a game developer and hobby YouTuber myself and I’m looking for something for the following.

• Store cloud photos
  • Windows vm, work long distance on it via my Mac
  • Backup for projects
  • I make videos of drone footage I film with ai music
  • Possibly to host a site with SQL, if this is smart

Would a NAS suit these use cases? Can you separate functionality? What do you all recommend?

Maybe I need multiple systems. I can build computers, just never tried a nas and I’m not that knowledgeable about it. Too many different options. I was hoping to start off with 1000 and 2 drives and upgrade over time. Not sure what’s realistic. 

As for the VM on Mac. I refused to buy the overpriced ssd, not enough storage to run it locally 🙃🙃🙃

2 hours ago, Julian シ said:

As for the VM on Mac. I refused to buy the overpriced ssd, not enough storage to run it locally 🙃🙃🙃

I’d look into unraid if your plan is to increase storage over time. It’ll handle everything you mentioned just fine. 

Processor is really up to you. How much performance do you need in the VM? You can run the NAS itself off a system from 2010 with no issue…. NAS’s don’t need much CPU. So you just need to determine how much power you need for the rest of what you want to do. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

"overpriced ssd" hah you wish.

(Meanwhile i have 4 ssd as big cache)

It doesn't matter if it has ssd or not.

It's what you want, fast or wait for couple minutes. That machine runs 24/7 right?

No need for ssd just buy chunk hdd boys and it will work fine.

Think about what you want realistically have more storage or more support for Vms or both but expect both have impact of performance.

Unraid cost money but possible 

Truenas for storage nas but low support to VM.

Proxmox for Virtualisation multiple Vms and you can host VM nas instead but would require tech skills.

Those three are best options to go with what you want.

If you have multiple systems then i would have Proxmox and truenas.

Use proxmox storage to truenas.

Then you have nas for all data vms video etc.

And you can create multiple instances that you need like database or mac or windows or even servers.

And truenas can be used for backup and important things to keep performance good and keep delivering data to Proxmox for live vms.

I would use ipv6 for fast transfers.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

Ahh I meant as in apple charges like 300 euro for 200gb more here @BoomerDutch

Thank you both for the information! Need to look it all up @LIGISTX

I do have some old machines, but feels like I should go for something which doesn’t use much electricity and a bit more performance.

9 hours ago, BoomerDutch said:

If you have multiple systems then i would have Proxmox and truenas.

Use proxmox storage to truenas.

Not seeing why you would run nested virtualization with TrueNAS Scale as an option now? 

The only reason to run Proxmox over TrueNAS Scale would be to scale out; i.e Failover clustering / DRS like Vmware. Otherwise both TNS and Prox use QEMU and KVM for virtualization, and both utilize ZFS. Unnecessary complexity. 

If the Windows VM is for video editing etc...honestly I would run Parallels on the Mac (assuming its an M1/M2) and invest the extra $$$ into a storage upgrade. 

Keep the NAS basic. If you want a personal cloud like NextCloud, OwnCloud, Seafile, etc..off the shelf NAS' like Synology, QNAP, Asustor, etc...support Docker to run these. They're user friendly with Web interface, and come with built in support for Mac backups (Time Machine).

There are simple LAMP stacks you can setup for Docker as well. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA