computer in old crt-monitor

Calavera

Hey there!

I just thought about why not buying an old crt monitor, ripping out the glass tube, replacing it with a new monitor and putting the motherboard and stuff in the back, plenty of space there.

Since you are never alone in this world, I thought I could find a build like that online, to no avail.

Why has nobody done this? It'd look like one of these crappy oldschool monitors but actually house a pc and monitor in one, you could even have the cables coming out very well managed.

Just like those old Mac's

So many things I could write here... things like this.

That's not a bad idea at all, just make sure you cool it properly, old CRT's had thick plastic housing and small vent holes, just drill thru them and place your own fans. And which TFT do you plan on using? Most are 16:9 these days and old CRT's are 4:3.

It'd look like one of these crappy oldschool monitors

I think that's what stops most people from doing that

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

That's not a bad idea at all, just make sure you cool it properly, old CRT's had thick plastic housing and small vent holes, just drill thru them and place your own fans. And which TFT do you plan on using? Most are 16:9 these days and old CRT's are 4:3.

Well, since the bigger screen sizes of crt's most likely are from a later time, I am assuming I will find the other resolutions there too.

It's dooable, however, CRTS are very dangerous to work on.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

perfect way to stop someone from stealing it.

I think that has it's charms, everybody will think you're carrying something that stood in your grandmothers garage, but actually it houses a proper pc. I think it's somewhat similar to people building a pc into a guitar for example.

Hey there!

I just thought about why not buying an old crt monitor, ripping out the glass tube, replacing it with a new monitor and putting the motherboard and stuff in the back, plenty of space there.

Since you are never alone in this world, I thought I could find a build like that online, to no avail.

Why has nobody done this? It'd look like one of these crappy oldschool monitors but actually house a pc and monitor in one, you could even have the cables coming out very well managed.

Just like those old Mac's

There was a build on LTT where someone used an old TV set, I think.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Watch out when handling a CRT, they can give you a nasty (but probably not lethal) shock. More on this here: http://lowendmac.com/2007/the-truth-about-crts-and-shock-danger/

Otherwise, looks like an awesome project! I assume you will be replacing the CRT with an LCD monitor and using a MITX system for the PC side of things. Good luck, and make sure you do a build log  :).

Someone did a build in an old TV on LTT, this might help you: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/51280-pc-into-50s-television-build-log/ 

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

old macs? That's exactly what they are lol

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol