Are These Temps OK for a 3060 Ti?

Hi, 

I am little concerned about the temps of my GPU and wanted to check if what I am getting is normal. At the moment under a heavy load it sits at around 75-78 Celsius with the hotspot around 90-92. This is after I adjusted the fan profile in afterburner to dial up the speed a bit earlier. Before that it was into the 80's and the hotspot was into the mid 90's, never over 97 I don't think. 

My question is, is this on the high side or OK? I was thinking about redoing the thermal paste on the GPU and picked up some just in case but I wanted to get a second opinion first. 

The card is a RTX 3060 Ti (Zotac) its about 2 years old, to be honest I think its always ran around these temps but started to play a lot more on the PC recently so just looking into it more now. 

Thanks very much!

It's not thermal throttling probably, but 3060 Ti should be cooler I think.

Though don't know if it's worth replacing thermal paste and thermal pads, probably not if the card is still working fine...

I edit my posts more often than not

3 minutes ago, matseffect said:

My question is, is this on the high side or OK? I was thinking about redoing the thermal paste on the GPU and picked up some just in case but I wanted to get a second opinion first. 

Don't do this unless you want to void your warranty.

Those temps are fine as long as it is not thermal throttling. What case do you have? Is it getting enough airflow?

Apprentice Software Developer

After looking online, this seems to be a common issue with overheating and these cards. Nothing to worry about but I agree it is a little concerning.

Apprentice Software Developer

The 3060 Ti, being a GPU on the higher echelon of the mid range, almost always came with rather unimpressive cooling solutions consisting of dual fan mechanisms. My Asus Dual 3060 Ti gets rather toasty if I don't put a curve as well. Recommendation would be increasing the fan speeds further, until the point the fans become irritating.

Also, keep in mind that when you hit a certain degree of temperature, you start losing on the boost clocks.

Thanks for all the quick responses! I went a bit over kill with my case cooling in terms of fans and it has a good airflow, every other component runs pretty cool. The case is a "FRACTAL FOCUS G BLACK GAMING".

I was thinking about a 40 series card later this year anyway so it sounds like its not really worth me opening the card up to do that, it would be out of warranty now anyway I think but even so sounds like I am better of leaving it as it is?

Never noticed any performance issues so I don't think its ever thermal throttled. 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, matseffect said:

Thanks for all the quick responses! I went a bit over kill with my case cooling in terms of fans and it has a good airflow, every other component runs pretty cool. The case is a "FRACTAL FOCUS G BLACK GAMING".

I was thinking about a 40 series card later this year anyway so it sounds like its not really worth me opening the card up to do that, it would be out of warranty now anyway I think but even so sounds like I am better of leaving it as it is?

Never noticed any performance issues so I don't think its ever thermal throttled. 

Thanks!

Do you have front fans pushing enough fresh air to the GPU ? It can reduce temps significantly

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

39 minutes ago, matseffect said:

Thanks!

No big performance hit, you just get a bit lower boost clocks and that's about it. You can see this if you keep track of the clock algorithm, like launch a game and see the GPU get toasty, keep track of clocks, increase fan speeds, see how it performs accordingly, etc. The Nvidia boost works as in, offering you A LITTLE higher clocks when the GPU is cool functioning. You can adjust some of this from MSI Afterburner, but can not %100 toy with it as it is on your case.

If you're thinking to upgrade anyway, I wouldn't mind.

Having a 3060Ti, I can confirm the temps are pretty high. I would say these are ok, as everyone else said, if it's not thermal throttling I would not be concerned too much ! 🙂 

MSI B350 Tomahawk - Ryzen 5 1600 - 16GB DDR4 - EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC

You could adjust the power setting in Nvidia's control panel.

If it's set to max power then change it to a balanced setting to see if that helps. It could lower performance, so it's up to you to decide what to set it at.

Thanks again all. I checked my front fans etc but setting them to max didn't really offer much of a gain vs the extra noise. Power management was already set to normal in the control panel. 

As long as I am not way outside of normal though I think it should be OK. 

Thanks again 🙂

@matseffect
If you are comfortable taking the card apart, I would just change the thermal paste. If you’re in the US, servicing your own card should not void your warranty, even if there is a warranty tamper sticker. I’m no expert on the law, but I believe that is the case now. 

Some manufacturers really use poor quality paste. I’ve changed mine on every card I’ve ever owned over the past 20 years. Sometimes it doesn’t make much difference, sometimes it does. On the 7900xt I have from Sapphire, it was dry and rubbery. Changing the paste dropped the hotspot quite a bit.