Monitor choosing help: Dell S3422DWG or Samsung S32CG552EM, or something else?

Filingo

Hello,

My friend wants a new monitor

The desired specs are:

32-34 inch curved monitor

qhd

144Hz+

He was suggested the following two:

1) Dell S3422DWG 

2) Samsung S32CG552EM

I told him these might be a bit old model and there could be new and better at the same price though I am not sure which myself

I also recommended him not to have curved but he insists. From what I understand most curved are VA and I was thinking maybe IPS would look better, but again, not sure 

Would you pick any of the two above, or something else? (At the same price range - $300-400)

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Filingo said:

Hello,

The desired specs are:

qhd

144Hz+

1) Dell S3422DWG 

2) Samsung S32CG552EM

I told him these might be a bit old model and there could be new and better at the same price though I am not sure which myself

I also recommended him not to have curved but he insists. From what I understand most curved are VA and I was thinking maybe IPS would look better, but again, not sure 

Would you pick any of the two above, or something else? (At the same price range - $300-400)

Thanks!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-g321cu-32-led-curved-4k-uhd-144hz-1ms-freesync-with-hdr-gaming-monitordisplayporttype-c-hdmi-black/6544809.p?skuId=6544809&utm_source=feed&ref=212&loc=18419691557&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_qexBhCoARIsAFgBletyz4iTwxiuYntksg2APLaqTkq5-lG-gmdGJOgIZUcgOPB7_j5qzlAaAly5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Keeps the curved monitor, just ~$30 more but its 4k at 144hz

1 hour ago, Filingo said:

Hello,

The desired specs are:

qhd

144Hz+

1) Dell S3422DWG 

2) Samsung S32CG552EM

Thanks!

Whats their hardware for games?

Uswr above me recommend a 4k sceen but if you cant game at 4k everything will simply look worse running at a lower than native res

@jaslion has hit the nail oon the head. We need the rest of the system specs to make that kind of recommendation. Yes, he could run a 144hz screen at a lower rate but when you do you start having issues cause the monitor wants too run its native setup. As for the 2 you listed, id get the Dell cause theyve historically made great monitors, they honor warranties if actually needed and are pretty easy to deal with. Samsung on the other hand i will never buy another monitor or tv from as long as i live. They arent built well, ive lost 1 and my brother 3 in the last 10 years, but my lg, dells, acers, and aoc's are still going all the way from 2006. Thats besides the cellphone fires, the exploding washing machines, ssd firmware issues and IC swiitcheroo's and crappy argumentative warranty service.

You guys are right, I think 4K is too much for his hardware. I haven't asked yet, but from what I've seen the PC is some not too high end prebuilt so I'd rather qhd and not 4K. Very low chances 4K would fit

Update: Yep, it's an Intel 12th gen with UHD 770, not for gaming.

Knowing that - which one would you recommend of the two? Or completely something else?

33 minutes ago, Filingo said:

Knowing that - which one would you recommend of the two? Or completely something else?

Forget QHD even. My intel iris xe graphics (I would estimate about 50-100% faster) barely runs most games at 1080p, or doesn't run them at all.

1 hour ago, Filingo said:

Ok so what is it used for?

Why does your friend want a new screen? Thats the main question.

What is bothering them that they want to switch. Or what are they looking into improving the most?

Not for gaming (at least for now, if yes, I will have to tell him which GPU). Right now he just likes the fast refresh rate and the "immersive" feeling of a wide curved monitor