Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Gene unusable on v2007 UEFi

Brums

I apolgises in advance as this was written in anger after I have had multiple Issues & its now unusable after nearly a year of troubleshooting since I updated to the v2007 UEFI. I have been doing this stuff for nearly 30 years (Abit IC7-Max 3 with P4EE 馃檪 ) and this is the first time I have truly been ready to just quit this sh_t.

Specs:

AMD 7950x

Asus Crosshair Gene BIOS v2007 x64

Corsair 6000MHz CL36 CMK32GX5M2D6000Z36

1 x Corsair MP600 Pro XT 2TB

1 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB - in Socket GenZ.2_2

1 x Corsair MP510 2TB - in Socket GenZ.2_1

Asus 6900XT LC

Corsair AX1600i

NEW ISSUE: BSOD everytime when logging into windows or before, if bsod it is Presenting two different BSOD messages - whea uncorrectable error or machine check exception. This then loops through a post, crashes before getting into windows enough times to trigger automatic repair and then has the same issues.

I have gotten into recovery mode and disabled automatic restart on failure and this did not change the behaviour.聽

Since then when I try to get to safe mode I cannot get there as I can't get into windows to get there.

I have tried rolling back the UEFI to multiple previous versions with each time it failing to allow it sating its not valid (yes roll back is enabled)

Possible tests to be performed when I can do so (I personally don't know anyone where I live [Brisbane, AU] with hardware I can test with & its a public holiday).

- Get hold of another set of DDR5 on the QVL list and test.

- Test with another AM5 CPU

Continuing secondary issues:聽

1. Computer failing to boot or increased frequency of BSOD when mobo/memory set to EXPO.

2. Computer will not post if ASUS's optimised defaults are enabled. I must disable all of their AI overclocking features to get it to boot.

Things tried before new issue.

With Asus's Overclocking stuff disabled.

Wipe primary SSD, re-install Windows 11.

Bought the聽

Wiped all drives, Installed Holo ISO and same issues

Memtest USB boot - results passed no crashes after 3+ hours tested with indivual sticks and with both with all tests passed.

Graphics card popped into another computer, no issues for it.

20240425_115738.jpg

20240425_110709.jpg

CPU:聽AMD Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4573.93 MHz All Core (CPU-Z),聽Motherboard:聽Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT,聽RAM:聽Corsair CMT32GX4M2Z3600C14,聽GPU:聽Asus ROG Strix LC Radeon RX 6900 XT,聽Case:聽Fractal Design Node 804,聽Storage:Corsair聽Force MP510 1920 GB x 2,聽PSU:聽Corsair AX1600i,聽Display(s):聽Asus 27" VG27AQ x 3,聽Cooling:聽Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix &聽Fans: Corsair ML120 Pro x 8, Corsair ML140 Pro x 1 & Noctua NF-A12x15 x 1,聽Keyboard:聽Logitech G915,聽Mouse:聽Logitech G700,聽Mouse Pad:聽SteelSeries I-2 Glass Mouse Pad,聽Operating Systems: Windows 10 & Ubuntu

Previously it was stable at JDEC, now it is not.

CPU:聽AMD Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4573.93 MHz All Core (CPU-Z),聽Motherboard:聽Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT,聽RAM:聽Corsair CMT32GX4M2Z3600C14,聽GPU:聽Asus ROG Strix LC Radeon RX 6900 XT,聽Case:聽Fractal Design Node 804,聽Storage:Corsair聽Force MP510 1920 GB x 2,聽PSU:聽Corsair AX1600i,聽Display(s):聽Asus 27" VG27AQ x 3,聽Cooling:聽Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix &聽Fans: Corsair ML120 Pro x 8, Corsair ML140 Pro x 1 & Noctua NF-A12x15 x 1,聽Keyboard:聽Logitech G915,聽Mouse:聽Logitech G700,聽Mouse Pad:聽SteelSeries I-2 Glass Mouse Pad,聽Operating Systems: Windows 10 & Ubuntu

9 hours ago, Brums said:

Previously it was stable at JDEC, now it is not.

Wow so it won't even run at 4000 with the base timings it's still crashing? How about underclocking the CPU or turning off any "performance enhancement"? Checked that the socket doesn't have a damaged contact? I'd say to RMA it but....Asus RMA is, from what I've heard, useless, if you even still have warranty.

One more thing to look into regarding downgrading the BIOS, back in ye olde 4th gen Haswell times I ran into a specific error with Asus boards and BIOS flashing. The in BIOS flash utility was broken. The BIOS number shown at boot and in BIOS was updated but the actual microcode was not or not completely. This left certain Haswell refresh CPU's unable to run in earlier 4th gen Asus boards. Long story short, I eventually worked out that the Windows based update utility worked and was able to update the BIOS. It took a lot of snooping and some guessing, buying a couple extra CPU's and motherboards. If you're using the in BIOS flash utility, it's possible that's why the downgrade isn't working. However with unstable Windows...well that would be a really bad issue.