Ubiquiti or pfsense router?

Russsell

Hi,

I'd like to bridge my ISP provided router and use my own to have a bit more control over my network and not have to chat in for any network change to my ISP. 

I'm currently thinking about using either some Ubiquiti router (don't need wifi) as I already have U6+ and hosting unifi controller on my Synology NAS. Or the second option would be bying some 4x2,5gbps device from Ali and using pfsense. 

I know first option would be more plug and play, however not sure which gives more control. My idea is to be able to use pi-hole, possibly block certain sites from getting to the network and ideally traffic monitoring. 

Would apreciate any advise about which one to choose. 

Thanks and best regards

If you already have Ubiquiti devices, then it'll make more sense to get the the Ubiquiti router to keep everything the same.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

35 minutes ago, Russsell said:

be able to use pi-hole, possibly block certain sites from getting to the network and ideally traffic monitoring. 

How much have you dug into the ISP provided router? Most I've seen let you set DNS manually which allows you to pihole which does both blocking and minor traffic monitoring

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

I went pfsense, well until some of the shenanigans, then switched over to OPNsense. (The nice part of running your own hardware is you can run whatever you want). I use Ubquiti access points. Any (some are easier than others, as support  for some hardware is better than others) device with at least two LAN ports can be your firewall. 

Is there a reason you are set on pihole? Nothing wrong with it, but it maybe just be adding devices and complication that may not be needed. Many people would just leave the ad blocking up to the firewall, these things can also be done by pfsense or OPNsense.  I know I haven't used my pihole since the switch over. 

2 hours ago, OddOod said:

How much have you dug into the ISP provided router? Most I've seen let you set DNS manually which allows you to pihole which does both blocking and minor traffic monitoring

Not at all, ISP provided router is blocked from my access unless I pay them to use their wifi. Since I have no intention of doing that, cannot access it 

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

Is there a reason you are set on pihole?

Not specifically Pihole, that is one thing I've heard about. I'd like to have the option to block certain sites, addresses (for example to stop Samsung TV showing ads in the menu). And if it blocks some of the ads itself, even better. 

To clarify, I have one U6+ AP, so not really dug into Ubiquiti yet. Controller is self hosted on Synology. 

47 minutes ago, Russsell said:

ISP provided router is blocked from my access unless I pay them to use their wifi

Will you be able to have them put the router in bridge/DMZ mode if you get your own router behind it? You will need this unless you don’t mind being double NATed. 

I run pfsense as my edge router (don’t use pfsense as a switch, even if you buy a 4 port NIC, use one port for WAN and one for LAN…. Use switches as switches, pfsense is not a switch, it’s a firewall), and then I run UniFi switches and AP’s. Vlans all play perfectly nicely, and I run pfblockerNG on the firewall instead of pihole… so I can fully block garbage at the edge of my network. 

I believe the newer UniFi firewall/routers are decent options as well, I just personally don’t know much about them. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

5 hours ago, Russsell said:

To clarify, I have one U6+ AP, so not really dug into Ubiquiti yet. Controller is self hosted on Synology. 

Just to make sure, you are aware, that you don't need anything special to run the APs right. They can be setup from anything. I started with a pair of U6 Lites, then swapped them out with U6 Enterprises, but they are just plugged into a switch in my network. I just set them up on my local PC.  The "controller" doesn't need to be running all the time.

4 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Will you be able to have them put the router in bridge/DMZ mode if you get your own router behind it? You will need this unless you don’t mind being double NATed. 

I run pfsense as my edge router (don’t use pfsense as a switch, even if you buy a 4 port NIC, use one port for WAN and one for LAN…. Use switches as switches, pfsense is not a switch, it’s a firewall), and then I run UniFi switches and AP’s. Vlans all play perfectly nicely, and I run pfblockerNG on the firewall instead of pihole… so I can fully block garbage at the edge of my network. 

I believe the newer UniFi firewall/routers are decent options as well, I just personally don’t know much about them. 

Yes, I have it confirmed they can bridge it for me. They offered proactively after my multiple requests for LAN IP assignement 🙂

14 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Just to make sure, you are aware, that you don't need anything special to run the APs right. They can be setup from anything. I started with a pair of U6 Lites, then swapped them out with U6 Enterprises, but they are just plugged into a switch in my network. I just set them up on my local PC.  The "controller" doesn't need to be running all the time.

Yes, I know. I had it hosted on my PC at first, but wanted to try docker and hosting it on synology. And in the end just kept it to see the devices connected. 

For now it seems Cloud gateway Ultra might be the off the shelf solution, then I wouldn't even have to self host the controller. Or since it seems to be hard to get now, maybe Unifi Express, but that has wifi AP that I don't need.

Is there anything similar to pihole on Unifi devices? Will have to research that a bit more. 

15 hours ago, Russsell said:

Hi,

I'd like to bridge my ISP provided router and use my own to have a bit more control over my network and not have to chat in for any network change to my ISP. 

I'm currently thinking about using either some Ubiquiti router (don't need wifi) as I already have U6+ and hosting unifi controller on my Synology NAS. Or the second option would be bying some 4x2,5gbps device from Ali and using pfsense. 

I know first option would be more plug and play, however not sure which gives more control. My idea is to be able to use pi-hole, possibly block certain sites from getting to the network and ideally traffic monitoring. 

Would apreciate any advise about which one to choose. 

Thanks and best regards

I don't think you'll need a cloud gateway tbh. Why not just get a ER-X or something like that?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Getting the dream machine or dm pro or dm SE is nice because it allows you to control all your ubiquiti devices from one interface. I have the DM special edition and like the POE ports. It's been rock solid and was easy to set up.

Pfsense is good, and I used it before buying the dream machine SE. I would recommend it if you want complete control of every possible option for your network, and are willing to invest the time to learn it. For me the main reason to switch was to control my access points and switches.

15 minutes ago, Bdavis said:

For me the main reason to switch was to control my access points and switches.

Not that this isn’t valid because it is much edited, but just didn’t want anyone to be under the assumption you need UniFi routers to control their AP’s and switches. You can control them just fine for free with their software which has versions for windows and Linux.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air