Ubuntu 24.04 Beta Installation stalls in VMware workstation Pro

I am attempting to install Ubuntu 24.04 Beta on VMware Workstation Pro. The installation is sluggish and does not install properly. Has anyone had a similar issue?! I am unable to find useful information online. 

@BeornBear

What do you mean installation is Sluggish? Describe more. Also do you have a specific reason to use the beta build?

ps - Just use Debian. Please. From experience...

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

1 hour ago, BeornBear said:

I am attempting to install Ubuntu 24.04 Beta on VMware Workstation Pro. The installation is sluggish and does not install properly. Has anyone had a similar issue?! I am unable to find useful information online. 

Sluggish-ness would more likely be your computer's abilities with VMWare. What are your specs exactly?

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

I have an intel i5-10400 (6-core/12 thread) with 32 GB RAM, 1 TB WD ssd, 1 TB WD hard drive,  and Nvidia GTX 1650 Super. I am using VMware Workstation Pro 17.5. The host OS is windows 11. I am using Ubuntu 22.04 and 23.10 in VMware. Both work well. 

For Ubuntu 24.04 Beta ISO, the VM has the following settings.

3 cores/6 threads with 8192 GB RAM. 

The loading for the beta version loading into the initial setup and gets into the Language options on the installation menu. Thereafter, it thinks endlessly and does not proceed forward. 

I am unsure if it is an issues with the Ubuntu 24.04 beta version or issues with the latest VMware Workstation Pro 17.5.

It's probably the Ubuntu live environment. If you mean you click next and the page is blank its probably because the graphics for VMware are completely broken under the live environment for some reason, open files or about and watch the interface fall apart. Just keep retrying until it works and make sure to update the installer when prompted. If it hangs on setting up environment, just wait it out. The install process took about 30 minutes on a Ryzen 3600 with 4vCPU and 8G Memory. Once installed it works fine.

Ok. I will keep on trying. It might work better once the office Ubuntu 24.04 release comes out on the 25th of this month. 

Installs but upon login the entire thing freezes/crashes (u never see the desktop)

- Using VM Workstation Pro 17.5.1 (latest at time of writing)

- Did an upgrade from 23.10 to 24.04 LTS Beta

- Also tried a clean install of 24.04 LTS Beta

- Crashing occurs in both GNOME and Unity.

It appears to delay the crashing when hardware acceleration (1080ti) is turned off.  Crashing still happens.

When it gets to the login screen (GDM) then the screen blacks out and typing freezes.  If you act quick enuf before this happens it logs in but the screen stays black permanently.

Other times when doing a clean install when u login it crashes with a white screen saying "Something went wrong".

Seems VMWare is just horribly incompatible with 24.04 at present.

rrr.jpg

I was finally able to install Ubuntu 24.04 Beta in VMware Workstation Pro 17.5.1. I had to turn off "accelerate 3d graphics" The installation process took over 30 minutes. Once I completed the installation, Ubuntu 24.04 was very slow. I had set the same settings at my Ubuntu 22.04 and 23.10 virtual machines. These two VMs work fast and without any main issues. 

The issue might be two folder. First, VMware might need an update to manage Ubuntu 24.04. Secondly, there might be improvements in the final 24.04 ISO is released later on this week. I will post an update once I have tested the final release version. 

On 4/23/2024 at 12:30 AM, Scalped Skull said:

Installs but upon login the entire thing freezes/crashes (u never see the desktop)

- Using VM Workstation Pro 17.5.1 (latest at time of writing)

- Did an upgrade from 23.10 to 24.04 LTS Beta

- Also tried a clean install of 24.04 LTS Beta

- Crashing occurs in both GNOME and Unity.

It appears to delay the crashing when hardware acceleration (1080ti) is turned off.  Crashing still happens.

When it gets to the login screen (GDM) then the screen blacks out and typing freezes.  If you act quick enuf before this happens it logs in but the screen stays black permanently.

Other times when doing a clean install when u login it crashes with a white screen saying "Something went wrong".

Seems VMWare is just horribly incompatible with 24.04 at present.

Should not be doing Beta upgrades unless its a POC server; at which point this should be a bug to Ubuntu to investigate. 

There's a reason that dist-upgrade is locked into official releases (currently 23.10 LTS). 

With 24.04 in particular; it uses an experimental Linux Kernel; so there are most likely bugs to iron out still. 

Furthermore; keep in mind that many packages are still being created whenever theres a new release; so upgrading you may lose prerequisites that some of your applications/packages rely on to function. 

Before doing upgrades; also make sure you take a Snapshot of your existing VM's prior to the upgrade incase you need to revert back. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Thank you for the feedback.  

As a general rule, I create VM backups for Ubuntu, LM, and Zorin on my Synology NAS. I only set up VMs for Windows 10, 11 and Server 2022 for work related testing. When the final ISO release for Ubuntu 24.04, I will create a new virtual machine. I prefer a fresh installation over OS upgrades. 

I suspect that over the next few months, Ubuntu will be making improvements to performance. Unfortunately, now it appears that the current beta is quite slow in comparison to Ubuntu 22.04 and 23.10. 

22 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Should not be doing Beta upgrades unless its a POC server; at which point this should be a bug to Ubuntu to investigate. 

There's a reason that dist-upgrade is locked into official releases (currently 23.10 LTS). 

With 24.04 in particular; it uses an experimental Linux Kernel; so there are most likely bugs to iron out still. 

Furthermore; keep in mind that many packages are still being created whenever theres a new release; so upgrading you may lose prerequisites that some of your applications/packages rely on to function. 

Before doing upgrades; also make sure you take a Snapshot of your existing VM's prior to the upgrade incase you need to revert back. 

Thanks a bunch Jarsky for the reply.  Thats encouraging to here about 24.04.  So i'll just be patient.

Yup i always make snapshots.  I was just experimenting to see what 24.04 was like (as an upgrade) before fully committing.  So all good -- nothing lost.  I am using 23.10.  And as far as i am aware 23.10 is not LTS as u mentioned.  The last LTS was 22.04, iirc.  Could be wrong though.