Upgrade to AM5 now or wait for 9000 series.

Currently have a B450 Tomahawk and 3600. I was considering selling the board, cpu and ram for maybe 150 eur. But if the rumors are remotely accurate the 9000 series will be a massive upgrade.

What rumors? 5800x3D is a massive upgrade for you, 7800x3D Even more of a massive upgrade. Of course 9800x3D will be even more of an upgrade, but at what point do you want to buy it? With a 3600, you didnt really specify a budget, and if you are planning on selling it for 150 euro, i dont think youd be on the high end of that market.

Also what GPU will you be using? Doesnt really make sense to buy a 9800x3D if you pair it with a sub par GPU. Its gonna be a bump rather thena  jump in performance.

For now id wait to see, since its only going to be a few months.

If you can wait, just wait.

I hope 9000 series have improved memory support, I'd love to see AM5 being able to use higher speed memory.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

What rumors? 5800x3D is a massive upgrade for you, 7800x3D Even more of a massive upgrade. Of course 9800x3D will be even more of an upgrade, but at what point do you want to buy it? With a 3600, you didnt really specify a budget, and if you are planning on selling it for 150 euro, i dont think youd be on the high end of that market.

Also what GPU will you be using? Doesnt really make sense to buy a 9800x3D if you pair it with a sub par GPU. Its gonna be a bump rather thena  jump in performance.

For now id wait to see, since its only going to be a few months.

Budget is around 500 euro, 7600+mobo and ram works out to about that. Currently i got a 6800XT. I just dont want to buy a 5800X3D since i could sell and recoup some of the cost.

Are your current performances dragging you down? Do you really need to upgrade now?

If not, wait.

If you do feel you're being held back and really want to upgrade... Then a 5800x3d is an easy upgrade. No need to buy a new motherboard or ram. After that you can keep it for a year or two and upgrade to AMD 10000 series  (or whatever they call it)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro