Enhance a ssd's span

pchelp

Hi,

Switched to a mx500 2.5" ssd about 6-7 months ago in a pc. Specs- 8gb 2133 mhz ram, asus prime b350 plus mobo, ryzen 1600, gt 710. SSD is divided into two drives, c and d. OS is windows 10 home x64. PC is used for 8-10 hours a day to browse the internet and to do work in ms office. About a month ago the health of the ssd was 100% Checked today and it is 99% https://imgur.com/a/45mf7Ig  As ssd's are expensive here so wanted to clear few doubts and also made some changes as mentioned below in windows in the past month, that might have contributed in this.

Only 2 drives created and here is how much space they cover in the ssd https://imgur.com/a/Loc8EMh   Does c drive need more space?

In the 8-10 hours of daily usage the pc is put to sleep many a times, sometimes for more than an hour. Does it cause stress on ssd's to wake from sleep mode or should I turn it off simply rather than putting in sleep mode? Here are the power settings https://imgur.com/a/xkdCiJ6

Some websites say to turn on trim for ssd's. Where is this option located? Is it same like defrag? https://imgur.com/a/HNJPpfx

Turned off search indexing few weeks back as read that it leads to consumption of space. Can this cause the ssd to reduce in health as some reddit pages say that since the search is not indexed so reads are increased? Tried to turn it on just now but its not showing anything. I think I disabled it using some tutorial which used some cmd command. How to enable it now? Nothing happens after rebuild is clicked https://imgur.com/a/qfWhlp2

Some websites say to turn off paging. Will it help? Current default settings https://imgur.com/a/sYGSwwe

This video shows a paging file is there in c drive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7mAsofajw0

After a week or so, all the work related files ms office, jpegs etc. are added to winrar and then that winrar file is copied to a pendrive to be copied elsewhere. Now adding files to rar will cause additional reads and writes but this is done because suppose you have a file created on say 15th. Now if its added to a rar file and then extracted somewhere else then the date will remain 15th but if it is simply copy pasted in pendrive then the date of creation will become the date of copying. About 4-5gb of rar files are created and then copied in a pendrive per week. Is there any other way which shouldn't lead to more writes?

How much is the temperature which is considered okay for a ssd and a hdd?

Installed an android emulator nox a week back. Needed it as phone does not support the latest versions of few apps. Nox has added tons of files in the pc and since it keeps on auto updating, and has no way to disable auto updates, so this might be causing a lots of reads and writes. Should this be uninstalled? For Nox to work, virtualization was enabled in bios. Does this have any impact on a ssd?

Please share more pointers which can help in making a ssd last long. One more point, not updating the ssd's firmware because once micron's firmware for some other ssd, made those drives go haywire but micron's service partner in our country refused to do rma citing that drive is damaged by incomplete firmware update done by the user.

Sorry for asking so many noob questions.

Thank you

4 minutes ago, pchelp said:

Some websites say to turn on trim for ssd's. Where is this option located? Is it same like defrag? https://imgur.com/a/HNJPpfx

image.png.4dadcdcc7a4f17026da8c317f29b3d58.png

5 minutes ago, pchelp said:

Some websites say to turn off paging. Will it help? Current default settings https://imgur.com/a/sYGSwwe

This video shows a paging file is there in c drive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7mAsofajw0

pagefile stores files that a RAM would store otherwise, usually when you're running out of RAM, but sometimes even when you have plenty of RAM left,

the pagefile is located on same drive as OS,

to check for HDD and SSD health, use CrystalDiskInfo app,

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

I asked MR GPT to summarize your post.

image.png.5cb04f26447e725d65d0e91b88c99162.png

1) Primary windows partition doesnt need to be bigger than you need it to. Its fine.

2) Sleep doesnt. Hibernation is problem, dont use that.

3) TRIM should be pre-enabled if you installed it on an SSD ever Since W7 SP1. Later versions automatically enable it (W8 and later) even if you clone it later on.

4) Check services.msc for windows search and see if its working. If so, check indexing options.

Spoiler

2.PNG.367af6b0c7de45ec3e43f3c1ee8f77fe.PNGCapture.PNG.82c7cce01202d765dcdf7b1f63fc6c1d.PNG

5) Dont fuck with pagefile. Leave it on.

6) You can extract straight into the directory. Reads are safe.

7)Anything below 60C should be fine for sata SSDs. Same goes for HDDs.

8)If you are not using it, might as well uninstall it.

9) I always keep my firmware up to date. I recommend anyone to do the same.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

35 minutes ago, pchelp said:

In the 8-10 hours of daily usage the pc is put to sleep many a times, sometimes for more than an hour. Does it cause stress on ssd's to wake from sleep mode or should I turn it off simply rather than putting in sleep mode?

Leaving your PC in sleep mode does not cause stress on the SSD when waking up the machine. Hibernation, and Shutdown for that matter, will cause additional writes to the drive since the memory contents are dumped to the drive through a hibernation file.

Some websites say to turn on trim for ssd's. Where is this option located? Is it same like defrag?

TRIM is enabled by default. You can run it manually by opening "Optimize Drives" within Windows, and selecting Optimize for that specific drive.

Some websites say to turn off paging. Will it help?

I would advise you to leave it as-is. 

36 minutes ago, pchelp said:

How much is the temperature which is considered okay for a ssd and a hdd?

Assuming your SSD actually allows you measure the temperature sensor, 65-70 degrees C is usually the max. 

36 minutes ago, pchelp said:

nstalled an android emulator nox a week back. Needed it as phone does not support the latest versions of few apps. Nox has added tons of files in the pc and since it keeps on auto updating, and has no way to disable auto updates, so this might be causing a lots of reads and writes. Should this be uninstalled? For Nox to work, virtualization was enabled in bios. Does this have any impact on a ssd?

You can probably disable the program from auto-updating - there's probably some kind of component or service running in the background giving it that ability. You can likely disable it altogether, and only update it when you actually need to use it. However, I personally think that you're being too concerned when it comes to the write limits of your MX500. It'll likely last longer than you'll actually use it for.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, podkall said:

image.png.4dadcdcc7a4f17026da8c317f29b3d58.png

pagefile stores files that a RAM would store otherwise, usually when you're running out of RAM, but sometimes even when you have plenty of RAM left,

the pagefile is located on same drive as OS,

to check for HDD and SSD health, use CrystalDiskInfo app,

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Thanks. Unfortuantely I can't find that pagefile.sys file in c drive as shown in that YouTube video. Any idea why?

Any advice for the rest of the points, especially about the search indexing file and the creating of rar files for backup every week?

1 hour ago, Levent said:

I asked MR GPT to summarize your post.

image.png.5cb04f26447e725d65d0e91b88c99162.png

1) Primary windows partition doesnt need to be bigger than you need it to. Its fine.

2) Sleep doesnt. Hibernation is problem, dont use that.

3) TRIM should be pre-enabled if you installed it on an SSD ever Since W7 SP1. Later versions automatically enable it (W8 and later) even if you clone it later on.

4) Check services.msc for windows search and see if its working. If so, check indexing options.

Reveal hidden contents

2.PNG.367af6b0c7de45ec3e43f3c1ee8f77fe.PNGCapture.PNG.82c7cce01202d765dcdf7b1f63fc6c1d.PNG

5) Dont fuck with pagefile. Leave it on.

6) You can extract straight into the directory. Reads are safe.

7)Anything below 60C should be fine for sata SSDs. Same goes for HDDs.

8)If you are not using it, might as well uninstall it.

9) I always keep my firmware up to date. I recommend anyone to do the same.

Thank you.

1. C is full 58.8 gb now. I can easily remove another 2 gb atleast. Let's round off the used space to 56gb. Is 44gb empty space in c ok as merging is not easy?

2. In the start menu, I can only see sleep, shut down and restart option. Is the sleep option out of these fine? And did you check those power setting screenshot? The ssd is set to sleep after 60 mins of no usage. Is this ok?

3. Thank you. Is defrag better than trim or vice versa?

4. Thank you. Have enabled it and now it has indexed files and folders but still when I type for example paint in the search bar it does not load up paint but just say that. What am I missing here? And does indexing lead to more read and writes?

5. Thank You

6. Extract straight to directory, what does that mean? Here is why we are rar'ing them

Excel 1 last modified on 20th. If we copy this excel directory to pendrive and then open it elsewhere then the date displayed will be the date of opening. However if this excel file is added to rar archive and later extracted in another system then the date will remain the same.

7. Thank You

8. Will do. Is there any open source, light weight emulator for android?

9. Does updating it lead to data loss? I would have also updated it but micron's service partner here is very notorious in rejecting rma requests due to petty reasons.

6 minutes ago, pchelp said:

Thanks. Unfortuantely I can't find that pagefile.sys file in c drive as shown in that YouTube video. Any idea why?

Any advice for the rest of the points, especially about the search indexing file and the creating of rar files for backup every week?

Not sure what the video is telling you what to do. However, you can adjust it with the below instructions.

Settings>System>About>Advanced system settings(it'll be off to the right under "Related settings")>Advanced tab>Performance Settings>Advanced tab>Virtual memory>Change

I can post screenshots as well if needed.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Leaving your PC in sleep mode does not cause stress on the SSD when waking up the machine. Hibernation, and Shutdown for that matter, will cause additional writes to the drive since the memory contents are dumped to the drive through a hibernation file.

TRIM is enabled by default. You can run it manually by opening "Optimize Drives" within Windows, and selecting Optimize for that specific drive.

I would advise you to leave it as-is. 

Assuming your SSD actually allows you measure the temperature sensor, 65-70 degrees C is usually the max. 

You can probably disable the program from auto-updating - there's probably some kind of component or service running in the background giving it that ability. You can likely disable it altogether, and only update it when you actually need to use it. However, I personally think that you're being too concerned when it comes to the write limits of your MX500. It'll likely last longer than you'll actually use it for.

Thank you. In the start menu, I can only see sleep, shut down and restart option. Is the sleep option out of these fine? And did you check those power setting screenshot? The ssd is set to sleep after 60 mins of no usage. Is this ok?

Nothing comes up in search though I have restarted the search files from services.msc as guided by @Levent please check point 4 here

Is there any lightweight, open source android emulator for windows?

And what do you think about creating of rar files for backup?

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Not sure what the video is telling you what to do. However, you can adjust it with the below instructions.

Settings>System>About>Advanced system settings(it'll be off to the right under "Related settings")>Advanced tab>Performance Settings>Advanced tab>Virtual memory>Change

I can post screenshots as well if needed.

I can view these settings but this video at 01:32 is showing this pagefile.sys in c drive. I can't find this in my pc

Just now, pchelp said:

I can view these settings but this video at 01:32 is showing this pagefile.sys in c drive. I can't find this in my pc

Why are you trying to specifically locate it? What are you trying to do exactly? Disabling it is not really advised, and I myself ran into problems when lowering it, such as games randomly crashing due to running out of RAM.

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Why are you trying to specifically locate it? What are you trying to do exactly? Disabling it is not really advised, and I myself ran into problems when lowering it, such as games randomly crashing due to running out of RAM.

I will not disable it as you have guided but before visiting this forum I checked that video. So, I am really curious about its location now.

I don't have a single game in my pc, just use it for browsing and for ms office. Is paging required for my use case also? Won't disable it but just want to know about the use case.

1 minute ago, pchelp said:

I will not disable it as you have guided but before visiting this forum I checked that video. So, I am really curious about its location now.

I don't have a single game in my pc, just use it for browsing and for ms office. Is paging required for my use case also? Won't disable it but just want to know about the use case.

Your drive is rated for a total of 180TB writes, so based on the figure reported by CrystalDiskInfo, you've had 2.1TB written to it so far, which leaves 99.98% left of writes. 

Disabling it or reducing it, in your case, should be fine. But should you decide to upgrade(and start playing games with this PC), and retain the same settings, you'll probably run into problems. I'd also disable "fast startup" under power settings under "Choose what the power buttons do" should you decide to shutdown your PC. It will take longer to start up from a shutdown, but it will reduce the number of writes the system does to your MX500.

24 minutes ago, pchelp said:

Thank you.

1. C is full 58.8 gb now. I can easily remove another 2 gb atleast. Let's round off the used space to 56gb. Is 44gb empty space in c ok as merging is not easy?

2. In the start menu, I can only see sleep, shut down and restart option. Is the sleep option out of these fine? And did you check those power setting screenshot? The ssd is set to sleep after 60 mins of no usage. Is this ok?

3. Thank you. Is defrag better than trim or vice versa?

4. Thank you. Have enabled it and now it has indexed files and folders but still when I type for example paint in the search bar it does not load up paint but just say that. What am I missing here? And does indexing lead to more read and writes?

5. Thank You

6. Extract straight to directory, what does that mean? Here is why we are rar'ing them

Excel 1 last modified on 20th. If we copy this excel directory to pendrive and then open it elsewhere then the date displayed will be the date of opening. However if this excel file is added to rar archive and later extracted in another system then the date will remain the same.

7. Thank You

8. Will do. Is there any open source, light weight emulator for android?

9. Does updating it lead to data loss? I would have also updated it but micron's service partner here is very notorious in rejecting rma requests due to petty reasons.

1.) It's totally fine.

2.) Yes. Totally fine.

3.) Defragging an SSD is generally not advised due to the limited number of writes that they have. Sometimes it can be useful, but Windows will manage that as required, and the drive will manage itself internally.

4.)What do you mean it doesn't load up paint? Can you post a screenshot?

9.) It can lead to a drive that no longer functions if the update goes wrong. This is a risk vs reward issue. If the drive functions as it should, and you won't run into the issues that the firmware fixes, I'd just leave it as-is. 

On the note about data loss, it's advised to retain backups of your data that you want to retain.

A quote that I often say: "It's not a problem until it is, and by that point, it's probably too late".

18 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Your drive is rated for a total of 180TB writes, so based on the figure reported by CrystalDiskInfo, you've had 2.1TB written to it so far, which leaves 99.98% left of writes. 

Disabling it or reducing it, in your case, should be fine. But should you decide to upgrade(and start playing games with this PC), and retain the same settings, you'll probably run into problems. I'd also disable "fast startup" under power settings under "Choose what the power buttons do" should you decide to shutdown your PC. It will take longer to start up from a shutdown, but it will reduce the number of writes the system does to your MX500.

Thank you. Leaving paging as it is.

A total noob here, can you please eli5 what is fast startup and how does it lead to more writes? And the safe way to disable it?

18 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

1.) It's totally fine.

2.) Yes. Totally fine.

3.) Defragging an SSD is generally not advised due to the limited number of writes that they have. Sometimes it can be useful, but Windows will manage that as required, and the drive will manage itself internally.

4.)What do you mean it doesn't load up paint? Can you post a screenshot?

9.) It can lead to a drive that no longer functions if the update goes wrong. This is a risk vs reward issue. If the drive functions as it should, and you won't run into the issues that the firmware fixes, I'd just leave it as-is. 

On the note about data loss, it's advised to retain backups of your data that you want to retain.

A quote that I often say: "It's not a problem until it is, and by that point, it's probably too late".

Thank You. Tagging @Levent @podkall here too for final queries.

-  I had disabled the search index a couple of weeks back. Have enabled it in services.msc now, the startup type is automatic and not the automatic delayed one, and I rebuilt the index many a times as it kept on auto pausing and was not finding the installed or system apps. It is searching for my files or folders but it does not search for the windows apps or the installed apps when I type them in the search bar, example paint, ms word etc. Googled about it and it seems that many people are facing the same issues

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-option-doesnt-find-apps/8ef14b63-f727-40b9-b59f-699ecb02efef

These are the fixes that everyone is recommending everywhere, this link has just combined them in one post

https://www.askvg.com/fix-we-are-getting-search-ready-problem-in-windows-10/

The fix number 2, enabling cortana one, is the most commonly recommended one

I have followed all methods but nothing helped. Few questions-

This error is gone after running that coratana command in fix # 2 https://imgur.com/a/50PcRC6

4. Rebuild Search Index Using Indexing Options>>>> Tried rebuilding this many times but it always get auto paused after indexing some two thousand some files https://imgur.com/a/N8RQOpI Also in the same screenshot check the size of the search index edb file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows it is just 24 mb. Whereas people are reporting the search index edb file to be easily 1gb+

5. Search and Indexing Troubleshooter Tool>>>> Couldn't find this tool anywhere, where is it located exactly?

7. Fix Using Registry Editor>>> Which value needs to be changed, decimal or the hexadecimal one?

9. Restore Default System Display Language>>>> Have only one langauge https://imgur.com/a/CIHqyyx Is this ok?

Besides the above, in task manager, I could see this while indexing got auto paused

https://imgur.com/a/V3Sy1HX

And this under background processes

https://imgur.com/a/6ifLA04

How to resume the above process?

I do not want the search bar to include the personal files or folders, just the installed or the default apps, please help me out with that?

- Coming back to the original query of ssd, in some thread in some other website someone mentioned that since ssd's does not have any moving parts so whether one is using a pc or a laptop, the turn off hard disk option should be set to no here https://imgur.com/a/sOMSQ33 Does this make sense?

- Any better option other than making a rar file of the files and folder and then copying them to a usb drive? Don't want the last saved date etc. to change

- Lastly is trimming=defrag? If no then if you don't mind then please eli5 trimming vs defragging?

As trimming is auto enabled by windows, then how frequently does windows do trimming? How frequently should one set defragging duration here? https://imgur.com/a/7BENvQ8 And does it hurt a drive? I read that if defragging is done then recovering deleted files is very hard.

If there are any other pointers that will help a ssd last long then please share them too. Thank you for your time and support.

17 minutes ago, pchelp said:

- Lastly is trimming=defrag? If no then if you don't mind then please eli5 trimming vs defragging?

As trimming is auto enabled by windows, then how frequently does windows do trimming? How frequently should one set defragging duration here?

image.png.33306b0b2045824fef2e53172d5314ed.png

18 minutes ago, pchelp said:

I do not want the search bar to include the personal files or folders, just the installed or the default apps, please help me out with that?

I'm not sure if that's possible, search is search,

also for me the search is bugged a bit, doesn't really seach all files happens more on my other than OS drive though

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Without reading this thread, I’ll just say, SSD’s last an obscenely long time. I wouldn’t even worry about this at all. 

I have never had an SSD die from old age, and I still have some SSD’s from 2014…. I really wouldn’t worry about this too much. Windows enables TRIM by default on SSD’s, that plus internal wear leveling will keep the drive healthy for a very long time. Your PC will be obsolete before your SSD dies in any normal use case. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

18 hours ago, podkall said:

image.png.33306b0b2045824fef2e53172d5314ed.png

I'm not sure if that's possible, search is search,

also for me the search is bugged a bit, doesn't really seach all files happens more on my other than OS drive though

Thank you for explaing about trim. What is defrag and how is it different than trim?

Got your point about search, please check the links that I posted in the last comment. How to make sure that search bar shows up things like paint, calculator, ms excel, ms word etc.? It is showing all files now but not the installed or preinstalled apps.

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Without reading this thread, I’ll just say, SSD’s last an obscenely long time. I wouldn’t even worry about this at all. 

I have never had an SSD die from old age, and I still have some SSD’s from 2014…. I really wouldn’t worry about this too much. Windows enables TRIM by default on SSD’s, that plus internal wear leveling will keep the drive healthy for a very long time. Your PC will be obsolete before your SSD dies in any normal use case. 

Thank you. Can you please eli5 how is trim different than defrag?

And can you please help about the search bar not showing installed/preinstalled apps from here? https://linustechtips.com/topic/1567453-enhance-a-ssds-span/?do=findComment&comment=16387335

4 hours ago, pchelp said:

Thank you for explaing about trim. What is defrag and how is it different than trim?

Defragging is physically moving parts of files around that are broken up across the drive, such that they are effectively put back together. Hard drives are more affected by this than SSDs, but SSDs do benefit from occasional and specific defragging. It's not something you just run on your SSD at all, and you certainly don't want a program that treats an SSD as a hard drive. 

TRIM is just the OS telling the drive that those specific files are no longer in use(stale data), which the drive will get to per its internal firmware. 

6 hours ago, pchelp said:

Got your point about search, please check the links that I posted in the last comment. How to make sure that search bar shows up things like paint, calculator, ms excel, ms word etc.? It is showing all files now but not the installed or preinstalled apps.

defrag optimized HDD, you could try googling it I'm sure google can give you quick explanation of it too

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Defragging is physically moving parts of files around that are broken up across the drive, such that they are effectively put back together. Hard drives are more affected by this than SSDs, but SSDs do benefit from occasional and specific defragging. It's not something you just run on your SSD at all, and you certainly don't want a program that treats an SSD as a hard drive. 

TRIM is just the OS telling the drive that those specific files are no longer in use(stale data), which the drive will get to per its internal firmware. 

that

7 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

yes, basically unless the ssd is really old it should be fine,

you can check any drive's health with crystaldiskinfo, it literally says health and shows some data that you don't need to worry about much,

if your health status says "good" then nothing probably won't fail anytime soon:

image.png.74781cca8bf06e74a5a6cbab8af1271b.pngimage.png.74b03c6bb774cb8028b990e295c68b89.pngimage.png.a2a77202fa3516835718c1a9f1ac3b9a.pngimage.png.53040dc9e1ad86d57c673dcd55246c6f.png

Writes matter more than reading, you can read file 50000x and be fine, Samsung from the screenshot is an SSD, but because I only use it for games that I barely uninstall, it's at 100% health.

It also checked the health of my external HDD, neat.

PC:

PCs I used before:

On 4/22/2024 at 12:02 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

Thank you. So, how frequently should one set up defragging?

@Godlygamer23 @podkall

Thank you. Last two questions

a. The sleep options on the left side are of a drive, ssd in this case, should these all be set to never sleep

https://imgur.com/a/37u5crV

What is hybrid sleep? Can only see sleep in the start menu.

b. The first query about search indexer not working here

Got a lead I guess, open group policy editor in your system and then head to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Search can you plese tell me what is to be enabled here so that the search shows up things like paint, excel, disk management, event viewer etc.? In my case everything is disabled.

8 minutes ago, pchelp said:

a. The sleep options on the left side are of a drive, ssd in this case, should these all be set to never sleep

those are options to put PC to sleep, especially the first one, see how both are 30 minutes

9 minutes ago, pchelp said:

@Godlygamer23 @podkall

u gotta quote by selecting the members after you're typing behind the @, @podkall @Godlygamer23 if it's orange, it's mentioning

10 minutes ago, pchelp said:

Got a lead I guess, open group policy editor in your system and then head to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Search can you plese tell me what is to be enabled here so that the search shows up things like paint, excel, disk management, event viewer etc.? In my case everything is disabled.

honestly I think you're overcomplicating it,

even if your SSD starts to lose it's health to dangerous levels, you can simply buy a new one and put your files there, or install windows on the new drive,

as far as indexer goes, mine doesn't work properly on my non-OS drive, but you might find it in Control Panel, simply search search or index and the keyword should show you some settings

PC:

PCs I used before:

5 hours ago, pchelp said:

@Godlygamer23 @podkall

Thank you. Last two questions

What is hybrid sleep? Can only see sleep in the start menu.

b. The first query about search indexer not working here

I would agree that you're overthinking all of this. The MX500 with a capacity of 500GB can be written to about 360 times(180TB total) using official drive ratings for that capacity. Using the CrystalDiskInfo screenshot as a reference, based on the percentage drop versus the data written to the flash memory, you have 210.5TB of writes, which approximately lines up with the official endurance rating.

Using my own Intel SSD as an example, I've had this drive for about 10 years - the drive has a total uptime of 9.67 years, and I've managed to write 109TB to the actual NAND according to CrystalDiskInfo.

Spoiler

Capture3.PNG.59639a865dd6a307246f098c335b647a.PNG

Your own screenshot shows an approximate time of 15.5 years before reaching the end of the drive's life based on current conditions.