X9DAI part assistance

Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,
18 minutes ago, TBVM said:

well fair enough, what decent system would you recommend for under 1200$ australian then?

If you really want to go the used workstation route, I'd recommend one built around the LGA2066 socket. At least then you'll be able to pick from Skylake through Cascade Lake as they come down in price on the used market. A Dell Precision 5820 would be about $600 AUD on eBay, and those can take REG ECC REM when they have a Xeon installed.

As for new gaming PC parts, here's one option I quickly threw together:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/L7cV9c

PCPartPicker Part List: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/L7cV9c

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($219.00 @ Centre Com) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-A WIFI II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($158.77 @ JW Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($113.00 @ Scorptec) 
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($98.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card  ($429.00 @ Scorptec) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($138.23 @ JW Computers) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($148.00 @ Centre Com) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit  ($144.49 @ Amazon Australia) 
Total: $1448.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-20 21:10 AEST+1000

If you hold off on the GPU for now and just run your RX 580, the price is around $1,000 including a retail Windows license.

Budget (including currency): uhh like probably less than 1200 AUD 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: literally everything from gaming to music production to video editing

Other details: upgrading from 16GB DDR3, i7 3770, sapphire pulse 580 RX.

Notes: already have my eyes on dual Xeon E5-2690 v2's and probably like dual 2060's??? idk

Would like to set this up as a home desktop rig instead of a server for those juicy cheap cores y'know? 

Oh also would like to have at least 64GB of Ram.

I have no idea what case to get, but i'd like it to be either a complete sleeper build or stupidly bright.

(Edit: i've already got the mobo)

IMG_1488.jpeg

That setup will gain you more CPU cores, but each core will only be almost as fast as your i7 3770.

Don't bother with SLI, you're better off with one fast GPU with modern games.

A modern platform will be faster for everything you want to do with it than this. Sure they're "workstation" and "server" parts, but they're 10 year old workstation and server parts. 

An i5 14600 is much faster than dual Xeon E5-2690 v2s.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

That setup will gain you more CPU cores, but each core will only be almost as fast as your i7 3770.

Don't bother with SLI, you're better off with one fast GPU with modern games.

A modern platform will be faster for everything you want to do with it than this. Sure they're "workstation" and "server" parts, but they're 10 year old workstation and server parts. 

An i5 14600 is much faster than dual Xeon E5-2690 v2s.

the Xeon E5-2690 v2 is the "fastest" cpu this board officially supports i believe, and even then it only works if i update its firmware

3 minutes ago, TBVM said:

the Xeon E5-2690 v2 is the "fastest" cpu this board officially supports i believe, and even then it only works if i update its firmware

Of course the i5 14600 won't work in that motherboard, I didn't mean to imply it would.

My point is that decade-old workstation parts will make a relatively slow power hog. Fine if you can get them extremely cheap, but even today's "budget" parts will be faster than something that cost $10,000 a decade ago.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

Of course the i5 14600 won't work in that motherboard, I didn't mean to imply it would.

My point is that decade-old workstation parts will make a relatively slow power hog.

fair enough, it'd be faster than my currently failing system though, right?

Just now, TBVM said:

fair enough, it'd be faster than my currently failing system though, right?

Xeon v2s are based on the same Ivy Bridge architecture as your current i7, so they're comparable clock-for-clock. If you're using software that doesn't scale past 4 or 8 threads, you'll see the same performance at best.

23 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Xeon v2s are based on the same Ivy Bridge architecture as your current i7, so they're comparable clock-for-clock. If you're using software that doesn't scale past 4 or 8 threads, you'll see the same performance at best.

well fair enough, what decent system would you recommend for under 1200$ australian then?

18 minutes ago, TBVM said:

If you really want to go the used workstation route, I'd recommend one built around the LGA2066 socket. At least then you'll be able to pick from Skylake through Cascade Lake as they come down in price on the used market. A Dell Precision 5820 would be about $600 AUD on eBay, and those can take REG ECC REM when they have a Xeon installed.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/L7cV9c

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($219.00 @ Centre Com) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-A WIFI II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($158.77 @ JW Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($113.00 @ Scorptec) 
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($98.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card  ($429.00 @ Scorptec) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($138.23 @ JW Computers) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($148.00 @ Centre Com) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit  ($144.49 @ Amazon Australia) 
Total: $1448.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-20 21:10 AEST+1000

If you hold off on the GPU for now and just run your RX 580, the price is around $1,000 including a retail Windows license.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

hell yeah, thanks man 🙂