Windows 11 and 1st generation Ryzen

DJRWolf

I have two desktops that I am about to do an upgrade cycle on and I was thinking of possibly reusing some of it to make a new desktop but I have read conflicting information on Windows 11 support for 1st generation Ryzen CPU's and how much of a block that will be to installing Windows 11 on them or if I would have to go with Linux on that hardware. One system is also not fully 1st generation as it is the Ryzen 5 1600(12nm) that uses the 2nd generation process. The other is a normal Ryzen 5 1600X.

You can bypass TPM 2.0 and Microsoft account requirements of Windows 11 by creating a bootable medium with Rufus.

https://pureinfotech.com/rufus-create-bootable-windows-11-usb/

I have done that on my folding rig, it hasn't had any issues yet

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

Generally speaking, Windows 11 won't install unless TPM2.0 is present, and that's something that's packaged in the CPU these days. If the CPUs have that, Windows 11 should install with no problems.

Is there a reason you can't or don't want to install Windows 10?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

There are lots of ways to bypass the Windows 11 system requirements that I'd probably use here. I don't think there have been any major issues using those workarounds on systems I've seen. 

Linux will also work well if you want to use that.

Or you can just install Win10, it's not as if you're losing something ...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Generally speaking, Windows 11 won't install unless TPM2.0 is present, and that's something that's packaged in the CPU these days. If the CPUs have that, Windows 11 should install with no problems.

Is there a reason you can't or don't want to install Windows 10?

7 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Or you can just install Win10, it's not as if you're losing something ...

Windows 10 is going to hit end of life before too much longer. One of the main drivers for upgrading my hardware is if I am going to freshly reinstall with Windows 11 anyway I might as well upgrade the hardware as well. At least for the 1600X system. The 1600(12nm) is getting upgraded because I want to switch from 65w CPU plus 75w GPU to a Ryzen 7 8700G and it will get the Mint 22 when that comes out in a couple of months.

Another option is to do Windows 10 for now and then upgrade the CPU to something like at 2600 or 3600 when I upgrade the OS to Windows 11 later. Would also spread the cost out.

7 minutes ago, DJRWolf said:

Windows 10 is going to hit end of life before too much longer. One of the main drivers for upgrading my hardware is if I am going to freshly reinstall with Windows 11 anyway I might as well upgrade the hardware as well. At least for the 1600X system. The 1600(12nm) is getting upgraded because I want to switch from 65w CPU plus 75w GPU to a Ryzen 7 8700G and it will get the Mint 22 when that comes out in a couple of months.

Another option is to do Windows 10 for now and then upgrade the CPU to something like at 2600 or 3600 when I upgrade the OS to Windows 11 later. Would also spread the cost out.

Win10 won't have updates (unless you pay for it), it won't be killed

If the PC is used for basic tasks it won't make any difference imo

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

On 4/19/2024 at 4:29 PM, PDifolco said:

Win10 won't have updates (unless you pay for it), it won't be killed

I will hard pass on doing something that dangerous. If it was not for some games being very hard to play on Linux with the chance an anti-cheat might get my account banned I am stuck with Windows.