Effects of ~75% FPS of Hz?

I’m thinking of getting a 240Hz monitor, but I wonder what I can expect if I am only able to get an average of 180FPS. Sometimes above 240FPS. I play competitively.

I feel like G-Sync will throw my pacing way off and maybe I should have a FPS limit set to 239?

My current setup is a 120Hz monitor where I have minimums never go below 120FPS, while I also use RTSS (RivaTuner) Scanline Sync.

I’d love feedback from a theory point of view, but also from those with various experiences with this.

48 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Depends on the games. If you play most FPS, G-Sync is absolutely worthless, turn it off.

Adjust the ingame settings to the best you can to get to 240fps.

Game is a Valve Source game. Team Fortress2 specifically.

CPU and GPU settings for the game all adjusted for high FPS already.

Just use G-Sync. In that situation your monitor's refresh rate would adapt to 180 Hz, and you won't be seeing tearing or have micro stutters because of an FPS / Hz mismatch. It has been proven many times that using G-Sync doesn't introduce any noticeable latency, maybe 1 ms or so. 

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Can depend on the game but just test and see what feela better for you then. Be it using VRR if not huge swings or cap to stable fps.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Can depend on the game but just test and see what feela better for you then. Be it using VRR if not huge swings or cap to stable fps.

If only I could test it. I’d have to spend the thousands of $ first.

On 4/20/2024 at 1:43 AM, CoolJosh3k said:

If only I could test it. I’d have to spend the thousands of $ first.

Why thousands of $?

There are basically two ways to go about it:

If input lag is your absolute priority, set an FPS cap (preferably in-game, but if there is no setting, use driver-side cap or RTSS) at the point where your GPU is running at about 90% utilization, and enable GPU driver-side low latency mode to get rid of the render queue and disable G-Sync. This will give you the absolute minimum amount of input lag possible.

However, if you also want to prevent tearing or stuttering, or just want more general settings that will work in ANY game, cap your fps at 3 below the max refresh rate (again, preferably in-game, but if there is no setting, use driver-side cap or RTSS), enable driver-side low latency mode, enable G-sync, enable driver-side v-sync, disable v-sync in-game. Input lag will be slightly higher than the above method, but you will always get good results without having to tinker for every specific game.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

16 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Why thousands of $?

There are basically two ways to go about it:

If input lag is your absolute priority, set an FPS cap (preferably in-game, but if there is no setting, use driver-side cap or RTSS) at the point where your GPU is running at about 90% utilization, and enable GPU driver-side low latency mode to get rid of the render queue and disable G-Sync. This will give you the absolute minimum amount of input lag possible.

However, if you also want to prevent tearing or stuttering, or just want more general settings that will work in ANY game, cap your fps at 3 below the max refresh rate (again, preferably in-game, but if there is no setting, use driver-side cap or RTSS), enable driver-side low latency mode, enable G-sync, enable driver-side v-sync, disable v-sync in-game. Input lag will be slightly higher than the above method, but you will always get good results without having to tinker for every specific game.

Thanks for the info.

I’ve previously used RTSS Scanline Sync on my 120Hz monitor since I can maintain that minimum FPS.

Since the game I play recently got a performance update it looks like for the case I care about I’d be able to actually get 240FPS minimum now, so that is awesome.

Is there somewhere I can look into input lag from capping FPS, vs uncapped?

7 hours ago, CoolJosh3k said:

Thanks for the info.

I’ve previously used RTSS Scanline Sync on my 120Hz monitor since I can maintain that minimum FPS.

Since the game I play recently got a performance update it looks like for the case I care about I’d be able to actually get 240FPS minimum now, so that is awesome.

Is there somewhere I can look into input lag from capping FPS, vs uncapped?

This post contains some great videos on the topic: