Jump to content

Upgrade on AM4 - Ryzen 9 5900X or entirely new AM5 build?

Budget (including currency): 2500PLN - ca. 750$, maximum 4000PLN ca. 1000$

Country: Poland

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, web browsing, sometimes i need to run a VM, nothing what is too complex, but i want futureproof build. Also there is a possibility that i will run some server 24/7 so i want more cores.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 


Now i have:
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 3
CPU: Ryzen 5 3400G
RAM:  i want a new 32GB@3600Mhz kit
GPU: OCZ StealthXStream 600W (want to keep if this is not a problem)
CASE: SIlentiumPC Signum SG1 (thinking about changing)

I was thinking of upgrading on my MOBO that i have to, so it will be like this:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 3
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM: Lexar Thor, DDR4, 32 GB, 3600MHz, CL18 (LD4BU016G-R3600GDWG)
AIO: Arctic Liquid Freezer III 240 Black
CASE: Genesis Irid 505F (NPC-1997).
 

Is it worth to upgrade to this CPU on my MOBO? Will it run properly? After upgrading my bios to the latest F52, i have problems with turbo - CPU is not going above 3,9Ghz, i am afraid that this motherboard will hinder new Ryzen 9 5900X performance.

I think that this MOBO is somewhat of a joke - no one uses it in their builds as i can see on the internet, people have "Gaming 5", Gaming 7", "Gaming K3", Gaming K5", Gaming K7", but not this exact model -cannot find any information about how will it work with this CPU.

What should i do?
Buy Ryzen 9 5900X and use my MOBO?
Buy Ryzen 9 5900X and a new MOBO on AM4?
Buy something different on AM5?

Of course i want to keep my GPU



 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, xKempo said:

Gaming, web browsing, sometimes i need to run a VM, nothing what is too complex, but i want futureproof build.

5700x3D if you must stay on AM4. Otherwise there is nothing really "future proof" about buying a CPU for a platform with no future. 

 

5900x/5950x have little to no use case anymore as they're smacked around by 5700x3D/5800x3D and you need more than 8-cores for workstation tasks, you really should be looking at Zen4/Ryzen 7000. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, xKempo said:

Budget (including currency): 2500PLN - ca. 750$, maximum 4000PLN ca. 1000$

Country: Poland

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, web browsing, sometimes i need to run a VM, nothing what is too complex, but i want futureproof build. Also there is a possibility that i will run some server 24/7 so i want more cores.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 


Now i have:
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 3
CPU: Ryzen 5 3400G
RAM:  i want a new 32GB@3600Mhz kit
GPU: OCZ StealthXStream 600W (want to keep if this is not a problem)
CASE: SIlentiumPC Signum SG1 (thinking about changing)

I was thinking of upgrading on my MOBO that i have to, so it will be like this:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 3
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM: Lexar Thor, DDR4, 32 GB, 3600MHz, CL18 (LD4BU016G-R3600GDWG)
AIO: Arctic Liquid Freezer III 240 Black
CASE: Genesis Irid 505F (NPC-1997).
 

Is it worth to upgrade to this CPU on my MOBO? Will it run properly? After upgrading my bios to the latest F52, i have problems with turbo - CPU is not going above 3,9Ghz, i am afraid that this motherboard will hinder new Ryzen 9 5900X performance.

I think that this MOBO is somewhat of a joke - no one uses it in their builds as i can see on the internet, people have "Gaming 5", Gaming 7", "Gaming K3", Gaming K5", Gaming K7", but not this exact model -cannot find any information about how will it work with this CPU.

What should i do?
Buy Ryzen 9 5900X and use my MOBO?
Buy Ryzen 9 5900X and a new MOBO on AM4?
Buy something different on AM5?

Of course i want to keep my GPU



 

Closest thing you can get to 'futureproof' in your budget in a scenario would be a 14700k and DDR4/DDR5 Z690/Z790 motherboard or you'd be looking at a 7800x3D and sacrificing a decent amount of all core performance, if you even need it.

 

Either way, don't bother with AM4 at this point. You could even take your DDR4 RAM and drop it into an LGA 1700 system then get a cheaper 2x8GB DDR4 for that 3400G to use.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

5700x3D if you must stay on AM4. Otherwise there is nothing really "future proof" about buying a CPU for a platform with no future. 

 

5900x/5950x have little to no use case anymore as they're smacked around by 5700x3D/5800x3D and you need more than 8-cores for workstation tasks, you really should be looking at Zen4/Ryzen 7000. 

 

52 minutes ago, Agall said:

Closest thing you can get to 'futureproof' in your budget in a scenario would be a 14700k and DDR4/DDR5 Z690/Z790 motherboard or you'd be looking at a 7800x3D and sacrificing a decent amount of all core performance, if you even need it.

 

Either way, don't bother with AM4 at this point. You could even take your DDR4 RAM and drop it into an LGA 1700 system then get a cheaper 2x8GB DDR4 for that 3400G to use.


Really don't know what to do now - i would like to have minimum 12 cores, 32GB of RAM. I would prefer AMD over intel - i don't like their effciency cores technology. Is there any MOBO+CPU on AM5 that i could go with? Maybe i could go with 7900X3D on AM5, but what mobo should i get for such CPU?


Still, thinking about staying on AM4 and maxxing last gen - 7900X or 7950X with some new MOBO - what can you reccomend? I feel like going to the max specs on AM4 would be better than throwing some low/mid range AM5 MOBO+CPU. Maybe i am wrong?

I would appreciate any MOBO+CPU cobmbinations on AM4/AM5 and pros/cons about them that you think are worth considering. Trying to look over internet but i wouldn't like to get some cheap mobo for such CPUs, i know i need to look at VRMs, i need to admit that i don't really know what to look for in my MOBO, i just want a stable system with OC possibilites and good UEFI, don't really know which producer to go with - Gigabyte? MSI?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, xKempo said:

but what mobo should i get for such CPU?

Whatever you want that fits your I/O needs. 7800x3D can run on just about anything to its maximum potential and a few $110-$120 boards that are fantastic. 

 

Oh you said 7900x3D? Yeah no, skip that one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, xKempo said:

 


Really don't know what to do now - i would like to have minimum 12 cores, 32GB of RAM. I would prefer AMD over intel - i don't like their effciency cores technology. Is there any MOBO+CPU on AM5 that i could go with? Maybe i could go with 7900X3D on AM5, but what mobo should i get for such CPU?


Still, thinking about staying on AM4 and maxxing last gen - 7900X or 7950X with some new MOBO - what can you reccomend? I feel like going to the max specs on AM4 would be better than throwing some low/mid range AM5 MOBO+CPU. Maybe i am wrong?

I would appreciate any MOBO+CPU cobmbinations on AM4/AM5 and pros/cons about them that you think are worth considering. Trying to look over internet but i wouldn't like to get some cheap mobo for such CPUs, i know i need to look at VRMs, i need to admit that i don't really know what to look for in my MOBO, i just want a stable system with OC possibilites and good UEFI, don't really know which producer to go with - Gigabyte? MSI?

7900x3D is a big no go. Even if you force CCD0 like I do, 6c/12t of 3D v-cache doesn't seem to be enough for AAA RT gaming so it spills into CCD1 more often which eliminates the 3D v-cache advantage. HWUB recently did a huge breakdown of this, even though they didn't use the 'right' UEFI settings to properly test it. The driver worked for the most part.

 

Hyper-V is relatively lightweight on cores in my experience. A 7800x3D can handle it nicely, but if you really wanted to, the 7950x3D is worth it. It falls outside your budget considering you'd be buying RAM and a motherboard.

 

Big-little on Intel is well implemented, even on Windows Server. You could also simply allocate your VMs to the E-cores, something the 14600k has 8 of (two 4 core clusters). The IPC of Intel CPUs is still better, but 3D v-cache excels at showing how many applications were/are cache limited and/or memory bandwidth limited. 

 

Another thing to consider is that LGA 1700 is EoL, so that 14600k would likely be the only processor your board sees. AM5 on the other hand should see a couple refreshes, potentially past Ryzen 10000 if they call it that.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Agall said:

7900x3D is a big no go. Even if you force CCD0 like I do, 6c/12t of 3D v-cache doesn't seem to be enough for AAA RT gaming so it spills into CCD1 more often which eliminates the 3D v-cache advantage. HWUB recently did a huge breakdown of this, even though they didn't use the 'right' UEFI settings to properly test it. The driver worked for the most part.

 

Hyper-V is relatively lightweight on cores in my experience. A 7800x3D can handle it nicely, but if you really wanted to, the 7950x3D is worth it. It falls outside your budget considering you'd be buying RAM and a motherboard.

 

Big-little on Intel is well implemented, even on Windows Server. You could also simply allocate your VMs to the E-cores, something the 14600k has 8 of (two 4 core clusters). The IPC of Intel CPUs is still better, but 3D v-cache excels at showing how many applications were/are cache limited and/or memory bandwidth limited. 

 

Another thing to consider is that LGA 1700 is EoL, so that 14600k would likely be the only processor your board sees. AM5 on the other hand should see a couple refreshes, potentially past Ryzen 10000 if they call it that.


I don't understand what do you exactly mean - why 7900X3D is a no go but you said 7950X3D is worth if i can pay more? They have same cache size - 140MB vs 144MB.

Did you mean that both of them are no go if i want gaming with RT but overall 7950X3D is good choice when i want good VM performance?

Is 3D V-Cache really worth it? Is it not better to have higher clocks per core?

Let's go with 1200$ for MOBO+CPU+RAM+CASE, i want some pennies for 1TB SSD. What can i make on AM5? Do i need new PSU?

Really don't know what to do, would like to assign 8 cores to my VM, that's why i'm looking for minimum 12 cores, mainly i work in VM, nothing too complex but i need these 4 cores for my host to do some other background things like playing video at 4k on my TV, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, xKempo said:


I don't understand what do you exactly mean - why 7900X3D is a no go but you said 7950X3D is worth if i can pay more? They have same cache size - 140MB vs 144MB.

Did you mean that both of them are no go if i want gaming with RT but overall 7950X3D is good choice when i want good VM performance?

Is 3D V-Cache really worth it? Is it not better to have higher clocks per core?

Let's go with 1200$ for MOBO+CPU+RAM+CASE, i want some pennies for 1TB SSD. What can i make on AM5? Do i need new PSU?

Really don't know what to do, would like to assign 8 cores to my VM, that's why i'm looking for minimum 12 cores, mainly i work in VM, nothing too complex but i need there 4 cores for my host to do some other background things like playing video at 4k on my TV, etc.

I would honestly look at the 14700k then. 3D v-cache trades a high boost clock for +200% L3 cache which not only reduces the power draw but also creates a more stable higher average framerate. Very few games don't care for that extra L3 cache, an example I've seen being Minecraft which is more IPC/frequency dependent.

 

3D v-cache's specific advantage seems to be related to the fact that a lot of processes exceed a normal amount of L1-3 cache compared to a normal Ryzen 7000 CPU. That prevents an application from going all the way to RAM which dramatically increases the latency, an example being a draw call for a player/NPC position.

 

Ryzen is more complex than that, the 7900x3D and 7950x3D are dual CCD CPUs, where they have 3 separate dies on the CPU's substrate. Two are CPU cores, the CCDs, and the third is the I/O die (which is really just the North Bridge).

 

What happens with dual CCD CPUs is when an application needs to use more than one CCDs' worth of cores, it has to cross the infinity fabric to the other CCD. That effectively reduces the latency reduction advantage 3D v-cache has. Its the primary reason why the 7800x3D sometimes beats out the 7950x3D in gaming specific tasks, sometimes its entirely due to a UEFI misconfiguration done by almost every Youtuber.

 

The 7900x3D has a 6+6 CCD configuration, so ideally a game is entirely done on CCD0's 3D v-cache cores. That generally doesn't seem to be the case with ray tracing titles, which are a lot more multicore intensive. A lot of the time, the 7800x3D doesn't even seem to be 'enough', but that doesn't prevent it from meeting or beating the 7950x3D still. The 7900x3D though appears to spill into CCD1 often with these titles.

 

The cache is more complicated than "140MB or 144MB". That cache is core or CCD dependent, L1 and L2 cache are per core (physically within the core), L3 shared between the cores on a CCD as a shared cache. Its really L1+L2 per core then 96MB + 32MB for L3 that each core could use up or share.

 

Where the 7950x3D comes in, its a specialty product really. If you want AMD and you want the best gaming performance while having extra multicore performance, then its designed for you. If you don't actually need the multicore performance, then the 7800x3D is an overall simpler product. Otherwise, the 14700k beats the 7900x/7900x3D in multicore performance and has the highest IPC.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Agall said:

I would honestly look at the 14700k then. 3D v-cache trades a high boost clock for +200% L3 cache which not only reduces the power draw but also creates a more stable higher average framerate. Very few games don't care for that extra L3 cache, an example I've seen being Minecraft which is more IPC/frequency dependent.

 

3D v-cache's specific advantage seems to be related to the fact that a lot of processes exceed a normal amount of L1-3 cache compared to a normal Ryzen 7000 CPU. That prevents an application from going all the way to RAM which dramatically increases the latency, an example being a draw call for a player/NPC position.

 

Ryzen is more complex than that, the 7900x3D and 7950x3D are dual CCD CPUs, where they have 3 separate dies on the CPU's substrate. Two are CPU cores, the CCDs, and the third is the I/O die (which is really just the North Bridge).

 

What happens with dual CCD CPUs is when an application needs to use more than one CCDs' worth of cores, it has to cross the infinity fabric to the other CCD. That effectively reduces the latency reduction advantage 3D v-cache has. Its the primary reason why the 7800x3D sometimes beats out the 7950x3D in gaming specific tasks, sometimes its entirely due to a UEFI misconfiguration done by almost every Youtuber.

 

The 7900x3D has a 6+6 CCD configuration, so ideally a game is entirely done on CCD0's 3D v-cache cores. That generally doesn't seem to be the case with ray tracing titles, which are a lot more multicore intensive. A lot of the time, the 7800x3D doesn't even seem to be 'enough', but that doesn't prevent it from meeting or beating the 7950x3D still. The 7900x3D though appears to spill into CCD1 often with these titles.

 

The cache is more complicated than "140MB or 144MB". That cache is core or CCD dependent, L1 and L2 cache are per core (physically within the core), L3 shared between the cores on a CCD as a shared cache. Its really L1+L2 per core then 96MB + 32MB for L3 that each core could use up or share.

 

Where the 7950x3D comes in, its a specialty product really. If you want AMD and you want the best gaming performance while having extra multicore performance, then its designed for you. If you don't actually need the multicore performance, then the 7800x3D is an overall simpler product. Otherwise, the 14700k beats the 7900x/7900x3D in multicore performance and has the highest IPC.

Okay,  now that's more than undestartandable, thank you for your time.
 

So, it's really about an architecture.
 

I should really ignore 7900X3D, cause it will need more maintenance than 7800X3D or 7950X3D - like setting the core affinity to use first 6 cores or last 6 cores when playing, so the cache will be used apriopriately, am i correct?
 

What about when i go full budget and but 7950X3D? Most games will use these first 8 cores and i don't need to think about potential higher latency caused by using cores on different CCD?
 

Also, really don't know if Ryzen 7800X3D will be enough for me, i am not a hard gamer, not doing some heavy video rendering, but i don't exclude that i will not do these things in future. I am also thinking about having more cores, because i really don't know what i will do tomorrow with my PC - i do a lot of different things as life goes on.
 

Do you think Ryzen 7800X3D will be much futureproof for the next 5 years? Now you convinced me more towards this CPU.
 

How about overclocking? I heard that you cannot overclock "X3D" versions cause of the cache on chip (does it also apply to PBO?), how it is with this exact model? I would like to invest in a good MOBO that can give me max single core and multi core performance with this CPU or 7950X3D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, xKempo said:

Okay,  now that's more than undestartandable, thank you for your time.|
 

So, it's really about an architecture.
 

I should really ignore 7900X3D, cause it will need more maintenance than 7800X3D or 7950X3D - like setting the core affinity to use first 6 cores or last 6 cores when playing, so the cache will be used apriopriately, am i correct?
 

What about when i go full budget and but 7950X3D? Most games will use these first 8 cores and i don't need to think about potential higher latency caused by using cores on different CCD?
 

Also, really don't know if Ryzen 7800X3D will be enough for me, i am not a hard gamer, not doing some heavy video rendering, but i don't exclude that i will not do these things in future. I am also thinking about having more cores, because i really don't know what i will do tomorrow with my PC - i do a lot of different things as life goes on.
 

Do you think Ryzen 7800X3D will be much futureproof for the next 5 years? Now you convinced me more towards this CPU.
 

How about overclocking? I heard that you cannot overclock "X3D" versions cause of the cache on chip (does it also apply to PBO?), how it is with this exact model? I would like to invest in a good MOBO that can give me max single core and multi core performance with this CPU or 7950X3D.

Yeah, the 7950x3D doesn't even need the stupid driver to function properly. There's a specific UEFI setting I have in my signature that resolves those issues entirely and really does make the CPU the 'best of both worlds'.

 

The 7900x3D, you'd want to manually adjust processor affinity to force a game onto CCD0. You have peaked my curiosity, but I'll need to find a game that'll sufficiently load CCD0 that i already own to test it. I can down configure my 7950x3D to whatever core combination, and I've tested a pseudo 7900x3D with it as well. HWUB's recent video that included the 7900x3D demonstrated how bad it is though.

 

 

The other solution to the 7900x3D would be disabling CCD1 effectively turning it into a 7600x3D. At that point, you're better off just getting a 7800x3D.

 

None of the X3D CPUs are overclockable without doing crazy nonsense with the BCLK frequency. That's effectively the base clock speed that the CPU and RAM have multipliers for, which also affects the PCIe bus. Its less common in today's world since it can affect PCIe storage reliability.

 

The 7800x3D has a max multiplier of 50.5x, so maximum of 5.05GHz with the 100MHz BCLK. The 7900x3D and 7950x3D's 3D v-cache CCD (CCD0) can go to 52.5x comparably. The extra 200MHz really doesn't matter since either configuration isn't holding 5.05GHz all core and its insignificant on intermittent boosting.

 

7900x3D and 7950x3D's CCD1 can boost quite high. It doesn't appear to have a locked multiplier through PBO2, but you can't manually adjust it. I've seen as high as 5.925GHz on CCD1 on my 7950x3D. It could probably hit 6GHz if it was delidded.

 

In case you didn't know, the boost clocks on 3D v-cache are lower because of the 3D v-cache mod. They basically weld 64MB of L3 cache on top of the die, which creates extra heat transfer layers between the die and IHS.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Agall said:

The 7800x3D has a max multiplier of 50.5x, so maximum of 5.05GHz with the 100MHz BCLK. The 7900x3D and 7950x3D's 3D v-cache CCD (CCD0) can go to 52.5x comparably. The extra 200MHz really doesn't matter since either configuration isn't holding 5.05GHz all core and its insignificant on intermittent boosting.

 

7900x3D and 7950x3D's CCD1 can boost quite high. It doesn't appear to have a locked multiplier through PBO2, but you can't manually adjust it. I've seen as high as 5.925GHz on CCD1 on my 7950x3D. It could probably hit 6GHz if it was delidded.


Okay, can you please elaborate more about how exactly does this boost work, for example on your CPU - 7950X3D? I need to understand everything correctly.

How do you know that you could get from 5,925 to 6Ghz with PBO when having better thermal conditions? Isn't PBO fixed at maximum value of +200Mhz per core?
Base Turbo is 5,7Ghz + 200Mhz PBO = 5,9Ghz, how is it possible to go more?

Also, i need to understand exactly how does turbo work - i see that you have a lot of technical knowledge about this topic, so i want to ask:
For example, 7950X3D has 16 cores.

Let's pretend that i'm using software that is using max 8 cores, sometimes one core is used more, sometimes 4 cores are peaking when another 4 are lower utilised.

How many cores can go up to 5,7Ghz at one more time? Is it 2,4,6 cores out of 16? How does it look under synthetic load such as OCCT or Prime95? Are all cores just at stock, or they go turbo but not to as high value as 5,7Ghz (+PBO of course)?

On my CPU that i have now - when i do some synthetic load it is staying at stock 3,7Ghz. When using computer normally - playing game or something, two of 4 cores can go to 4,4-4,5Ghz (i don't know why 4,5 Ghz when max with PBO should be 4,4Ghz), and rest 2 cores are going lower, but not at stock 3,7Ghz.

Does ability to keep highest turbo +pbo on more cores at the same time depends on how good my MOBO is and the chip itself? I don't mind high power usage, i want to achieve the most of my PC, also cooling will not be a problem - i will go with some high quality aio.

Also, do you recommend some specific MOBOs for 7950X3D or 7800X3D or maybe you can tell me what to look for, maybe which manufacturers should i avoid and which are worth buying? AM 5 is a different world for me right now, i'm just starting to getting deeper here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, xKempo said:


Okay, can you please elaborate more about how exactly does this boost work, for example on your CPU - 7950X3D? I need to understand everything correctly.

How do you know that you could get from 5,925 to 6Ghz with PBO when having better thermal conditions? Isn't PBO fixed at maximum value of +200Mhz per core?
Base Turbo is 5,7Ghz + 200Mhz PBO = 5,9Ghz, how is it possible to go more?

Also, i need to understand exactly how does turbo work - i see that you have a lot of technical knowledge about this topic, so i want to ask:
For example, 7950X3D has 16 cores.

Let's pretend that i'm using software that is using max 8 cores, sometimes one core is used more, sometimes 4 cores are peaking when another 4 are lower utilised.

How many cores can go up to 5,7Ghz at one more time? Is it 2,4,6 cores out of 16? How does it look under synthetic load such as OCCT or Prime95? Are all cores just at stock, or they go turbo but not to as high value as 5,7Ghz (+PBO of course)?

On my CPU that i have now - when i do some synthetic load it is staying at stock 3,7Ghz. When using computer normally - playing game or something, two of 4 cores can go to 4,4-4,5Ghz (i don't know why 4,5 Ghz when max with PBO should be 4,4Ghz), and rest 2 cores are going lower, but not at stock 3,7Ghz.

Does ability to keep highest turbo +pbo on more cores at the same time depends on how good my MOBO is and the chip itself? I don't mind high power usage, i want to achieve the most of my PC, also cooling will not be a problem - i will go with some high quality aio.

Also, do you recommend some specific MOBOs for 7950X3D or 7800X3D or maybe you can tell me what to look for, maybe which manufacturers should i avoid and which are worth buying? AM 5 is a different world for me right now, i'm just starting to getting deeper here.

I think its easiest to answer a lot of your question with some data I made with cinebench. Noting that Cinebench R23 doesn't care at all about 3D v-cache, just one of those few scenarios. The CPPC setting I use that forces CCD0 has one disadvantage, although trivial in comparison to its advantages.

 

Both the 7800x3D and 7950x3D are relatively low wattage parts, demonstrated with these cinebench runs. You could technically go with a moderate B650 motherboard and be perfectly fine. A single 8 pin EPS is enough for it even under all core loads. 

 

Regarding how core boosting is done, technically CCD1 is 'capped' at 5.7GHz, so times where its boosting to 5.925GHz are likely through PBO2 and/or extra headroom. CCD0 doesn't share this and has a fixed 52.5x maximum multiplier regardless.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you've been using a 3400G for so long, just add more RAM and upgrade to a 5700X. You'll be amazed how huge of an upgrade it will make.

Then save up some more money and upgrade to a next-generation AM5 platform with a Ryzen 9700X or similar.

M.S.C.E. (M.Sc. Computer Engineering), IT specialist in a hospital, 30+ years of gaming, 20+ years of computer enthusiasm, Geek, Trekkie, anime fan

  • Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - EK AIO 360 D-RGB - Arctic Cooling MX-4 - Asus Prime X570-P - 4x8GB DDR4 3200 HyperX Fury CL16 - Sapphire AMD Radeon 6950XT Nitro+ - 1TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 2TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 512GB ADATA SU800 - 960GB Kingston A400 - Seasonic PX-850 850W  - custom black ATX and EPS cables - Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout - Windows 11 x64 23H2 - 3 Arctic Cooling P14 PWM PST - 5 Arctic Cooling P12 PWM PST
  • Peripherals: LG 32GK650F - Dell P2319h - Logitech G Pro X Superlight with Tiger Ice - HyperX Alloy Origins Core (TKL) - EndGame Gear MPC890 - Genius HF 1250B - Akliam PD4 - Sennheiser HD 560s - Simgot EM6L - Truthear Zero - QKZ x HBB - 7Hz Salnotes Zero - Logitech C270 - Behringer PS400 - BM700  - Colormunki Smile - Speedlink Torid - Jysk Stenderup - LG 24x External DVD writer - Konig smart card reader
  • Laptop: Acer E5–575G-386R 15.6" 1080p (i3 6100U + 12GB DDR4 (4GB+8GB) + GeForce 940MX + 256GB nVME) Win 10 Pro x64 22H2 - Logitech G305 + AAA Lithium battery
  • Networking: Asus TUF Gaming AX6000 - Arcadyan ISP router - 35/5 Mbps vDSL
  • TV and gadgets: TCL 50EP680 50" 4K LED + Sharp HT-SB100 75W RMS soundbar - Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 10.1" - OnePlus 9 256GB - Olymous Cameda C-160 - GameBoy Color 
  • Streaming/Server/Storage PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - LC-Power LC-CC-120 - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - 2x4GB ADATA 2666 DDR4 - 120GB Kingston V300 - Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB - Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB - 2x WD Green 2TB - Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon R9 380X - 550W EVGA G3 SuperNova - Chieftec Giga DF-01B - White Shark Spartan X keyboard - Roccat Kone Pure Military Desert strike - Logitech S-220 - Philips 226L
  • Livingroom PC (dad uses): AMD FX 8300 - Arctic Freezer 64 - Asus M5A97 R2.0 Evo - 2x4GB DDR3 1833 Kingston - MSI Radeon HD 7770 1GB OC - 120GB Adata SSD - 500W Fractal Design Essence - DVD-RW - Samsung SM 2253BW - Logitech G710+ - wireless vertical mouse - MS 2.0 speakers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 191x7 said:

If you've been using a 3400G for so long, just add more RAM and upgrade to a 5700X. You'll be amazed how huge of an upgrade it will make.

Then save up some more money and upgrade to a next-generation AM5 platform with a Ryzen 9700X or similar.

I was thinking about upgrading to 5800X or 5800X3D, but my MOBO is a joke - all 3 versions of last BIOS that support these CPUs are messing with turbo on my CPU - turbo not going above 4,0Ghz no matter what, PBO also not working.

Last good BIOS is F50d which does not support new CPUs that i mentioned. I am really afraid of upgrading something on this mobo, i feel like i'm stuck in a very unfortunate position.

I don't want to upgrade my CPU on this MOBO if it's messing with turbo even on my Ryzen 5 3400G, that's just waste of money. I need to really think if i want to go with new MOBO for AM4 and one of these CPUs or go all in for AM5 and spend a lot of money. I am really pissed off that my board is such a crap. I feel stuck.

I don't know - maybe they lowered voltages for 5000 series CPUs in these BIOS versions, that's why frequency is lower?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really depends how much you are willing to spend and with how much performance you will be satisfied. So either get a new CPU for AM4 if it's enough for your needs and same some money. Or get a AM5 system if you feel the need. It's a bit cheaper to get on it then when I did last year.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×