Is this a minor driver issue or a hardware issue I can’t solve on my own?

kim921
Go to solution Solved by Hellowpplz,
1 hour ago, kim921 said:

I recently bought a new pc with a gtx 960&i5-6500. I also bought a gtx 1070 with it to improve the performance. It was a very tight fit in my micro atx mid tower, so I had to squeeze the 1070 in there. I deleted the old drivers and installed ones for the 1070, but it started freezing when playing even very light games like roblox&minecraft. I figured it was a contact issue with the pcie 8pin connector since it was squeezed in very tight. I switched back to the 960 and re-installed the drivers, but now i randomly get black-screens and freezes even in the background. Can somebody tell me what is happening with my computer right now?

P.S. I may be late with replies, because I live in South Korea. 

If the 1070 was really jammed in there, the pcie connector could have been damaged.

I recently bought a new pc with a gtx 960&i5-6500. I also bought a gtx 1070 with it to improve the performance. It was a very tight fit in my micro atx mid tower, so I had to squeeze the 1070 in there. I deleted the old drivers and installed ones for the 1070, but it started freezing when playing even very light games like roblox&minecraft. I figured it was a contact issue with the pcie 8pin connector since it was squeezed in very tight. I switched back to the 960 and re-installed the drivers, but now i randomly get black-screens and freezes even in the background. Can somebody tell me what is happening with my computer right now?

45 minutes ago, kim921 said:

Can somebody tell me what is happening with my computer right now?

When changing drivers use DDU to nuke all instances of nvidia driver first before installing new driver.

1 hour ago, kim921 said:

If the 1070 was really jammed in there, the pcie connector could have been damaged.

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

10 hours ago, Hellowpplz said:

Ok. I will try using the other pcie power connector on my psu. I jammed the 1070 in by pulling on the power connector really hard, so that might have been it. I will try swapping the pcie connector, and I will let you know with the results.

Also, the freezes on background only lasts for about 10 seconds, but I have to press the reset button every time I get a black screen.

11 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

When changing drivers use DDU to nuke all instances of nvidia driver first before installing new driver.

Ok, I will try ising ddu to delete all drivers, then re-install them for the third time.

On 4/15/2024 at 6:33 PM, kim921 said:

Ok, I will try ising ddu to delete all drivers, then re-install them for the third time.

On 4/15/2024 at 6:31 PM, kim921 said:

Ok. I will try using the other pcie power connector on my psu. I jammed the 1070 in by pulling on the power connector really hard, so that might have been it. I will try swapping the pcie connector, and I will let you know with the results.

Also, the freezes on background only lasts for about 10 seconds, but I have to press the reset button every time I get a black screen.

Did that fix it?

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

Oops, I was bery busy so I haven’t been able to try it out just yet. But I will try doing it sometime today.

Yes, it worked! Now it runs perfectly fine, with no stutters in games. Thank you for your advice.