Aftermarket router setup help

CatXice

Hi,

EDIT: WAS ABLE TO FIX THIS BY RESETING ALL PASSWORDS RELATED TO PLUSNET TO THE SAME THING

So i bought an aftermarket modem/router to place the one my ISP gives me (plusnet hub one) as i am having problems with ping spiking and when i asked them to look into they basically said no... the unit i bought is a TP-link TD-W9960 my home internet connection is DSL (70MBPS) the issue i am having is i cant get it to connect to the internet when i go though the setup process i tell it i am using plusnet_VDSL (i have checked with plusnet that this is correct) it then asks me for a username and password which i cant get right i have spoken to plusnet about this and there completely unhelpful and there support agents have no idea what there on about and "theres no one else i can speak to thats more technical".

If i go to the settings for the ISP router (to manage all settings like port forwarding and so on) i can disconnect it from the internet when i go to reconnect it again it shows me an email address that they have made for me (never seen this before in my life) and it has a password thats 8 characters long that autofills but is hashed (not saved in chromes password manager or anything like that) so i have no idea what it is (theres a show password button but that just clears the password field????) if i reset this username and password the username becomes setup@plusdsl.net i still have no idea what the password is and after about 10mins the username changes back to the "normal one" they "give me" and the internet connection is restored and works fine again.
image.png.c69098cb5dc7481a0522ab09c6dd9f16.png

So if am right i will need the about username the @plusdsl.net one and what ever this password is for the Tp link router to be able to make an internet connection?

i hope this makes sense thanks

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

1 hour ago, CatXice said:

So if am right i will need the about username the @plusdsl.net one and what ever this password is for the Tp link router to be able to make an internet connection?

This is a very specific problem that the ISP's technical support (higher level of technical knowledge) should be able to help you with. Seeing as there may be very few people on this forum who can help (I'll call out @Alex Atkin UK since he's familiar with UK ISP stuff), I'd suggest you ask in the Plusnet Community forum. At this point, since you're using your own hardware, you've isolated yourself to being "your own support".

May I ask why you chose to replace the ISP's gateway with the TD-W9960? Comparing the specifications of it to the Plusnet Hub One, I'd be interested in knowing what you upgraded.

2 hours ago, CatXice said:

Hi,

So i bought an aftermarket modem/router to place the one my ISP gives me (plusnet hub one) as i am having problems with ping spiking and when i asked them to look into they basically said no... the unit i bought is a TP-link TD-W9960 my home internet connection is DSL (70MBPS) the issue i am having is i cant get it to connect to the internet when i go though the setup process i tell it i am using plusnet_VDSL (i have checked with plusnet that this is correct) it then asks me for a username and password which i cant get right i have spoken to plusnet about this and there completely unhelpful and there support agents have no idea what there on about and "theres no one else i can speak to thats more technical".

If i go to the settings for the ISP router (to manage all settings like port forwarding and so on) i can disconnect it from the internet when i go to reconnect it again it shows me an email address that they have made for me (never seen this before in my life) and it has a password thats 8 characters long that autofills but is hashed (not saved in chromes password manager or anything like that) so i have no idea what it is (theres a show password button but that just clears the password field????) if i reset this username and password the username becomes setup@plusdsl.net i still have no idea what the password is and after about 10mins the username changes back to the "normal one" they "give me" and the internet connection is restored and works fine again.
image.png.c69098cb5dc7481a0522ab09c6dd9f16.png

i hope this makes sense thanks

If I recall correctly I think its the same password you use to login to their web portal.

Yup:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

See "What settings should I use for fibre broadband?". (still stupidly calling VDSL fibre)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

This is a very specific problem that the ISP's technical support (higher level of technical knowledge) should be able to help you with. Seeing as there may be very few people on this forum who can help (I'll call out @Alex Atkin UK since he's familiar with UK ISP stuff), I'd suggest you ask in the Plusnet Community forum. At this point, since you're using your own hardware, you've isolated yourself to being "your own support".

May I ask why you chose to replace the ISP's gateway with the TD-W9960? Comparing the specifications of it to the Plusnet Hub One, I'd be interested in knowing what you upgraded.

the reason for the change of the hub was i keep getting ping spikes from an average of 17ms to 700ms+ which when gaming is well just game breaking so trying anything at this point i managed to finally get in had to reset all passwords related to plusnet and it finally let me in

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If I recall correctly I think its the same password you use to login to their web portal.

Yup:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

See "What settings should I use for fibre broadband?". (still stupidly calling VDSL fibre)

ye i had to reset all passwords related to plusnet to be able to get it to work.....

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)