Which mobo should I choose for best value/perf between these 2 z790 boards?

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,

Gigabyte should have better ram oc afaik

1 hour ago, vortexx21 said:

Someone on reddit said this "I would personally avoid the Tomahawk Max. LGA 1700 CPUs have 4 lanes of PCIe 4.0 that should run to an M.2 slot. That's the only Z790 mobo I've seen where those 4 lanes just don't run to anything on the board. Its only CPU connected M.2 slot shares lanes with the top PCIe slot."

Does this seem false or is it true/something that should make me switch to the giga one?

And if this is true then without a doubt go gigabyte

I am in between Gigabytes z790 Aorus Elite x Wifi 7 and MSI Z790 Tomahawk Max Wifi 7.

As of today they are same price and so far have the same features. Which should I go for, i will put the 14700k and 32gb 7200mhz cl34 in this mobo. I plan, for fun, to oc the ram and cpu on the side.
Please help me choose/provide your input. Thank you!!

The gigabyte has a tiny bit better vrm (16 + 1 + 2, vs 16 + 1 + 1), both are great motherboards, just pick the one you like more

3 minutes ago, MiszS said:

The gigabyte has a tiny bit better vrm (16 + 1 + 2, vs 16 + 1 + 1), both are great motherboards, just pick the one you like more

Someone on reddit said this "I would personally avoid the Tomahawk Max. LGA 1700 CPUs have 4 lanes of PCIe 4.0 that should run to an M.2 slot. That's the only Z790 mobo I've seen where those 4 lanes just don't run to anything on the board. Its only CPU connected M.2 slot shares lanes with the top PCIe slot."

Does this seem false or is it true/something that should make me switch to the giga one?

Seems correct from the manual, stupid indeed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, vortexx21 said:

7 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

ok i figured, for 300 dollars why do they do this! will this cause performance loss or issues? i plan to have 2 m.2 ssds in my system