How to Configure this VSol router

Grinch_
Go to solution Solved by Grinch_,
7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Assuming they even allow it.

Also consider you'll have the same problem getting the other router working at your parents, if it even can be configured to do so.  Plus the ISP likely want it back at the end of the contract, so this just seems a bad idea all around in my opinion.

I own the router though, they only provided me with their ONU. So, guess I'll ask those guys to see what can be done.

I got this piece of junk with my old ISP. It's a VSol 2 in one router+onu.

I'm trying to setup a PPPoE connection with the username and password given by my current ISP. I tested the same thing with my new netis router which works fine. So I'm guessing I'm setting up this vsol one wrongly?

Would appreciate a lot if anyone could help me with it.

IMG_20240412_210223.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-12-21-01-55-684_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-12-21-01-46-710_com.android.chrome.jpg

IMG_20240412_205906.jpg

IMG_20240412_212043.jpg

First off, does your school allow you to run your own router?

PPPoE credentials for your old ISP aren't going to work at your university. That's not how that works.

Set the router's WAN connection to DHCP so it can get an address from the school network.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

First off, does your school allow you to run your own router?

PPPoE credentials for your old ISP aren't going to work at your university. That's not how that works.

Set the router's WAN connection to DHCP so it can get an address from the school network.

1. Yes it does

2. It's not of my old ISP. It's of the new ISP. I tried with my new netis router and it works fine. 

3. I'm not trying to use the university network. I'm getting an separate connection altogether.

I'll update the OP to clear things out.

4 minutes ago, Grinch_ said:

I'm not trying to use the university network. I'm getting an separate connection altogether.

You have a separate connection off the street?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

You have a separate connection off the street?

Umm, yea 😅

So you want to use the old, bad one instead of the new one? Because I believe PPPoE is for one primary router. 
What are you trying to achieve with this project?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

28 minutes ago, OddOod said:

So you want to use the old, bad one instead of the new one? Because I believe PPPoE is for one primary router. 
What are you trying to achieve with this project?

Yes. I want to use this vsol 2 in one instead of the netis router + onu combo I have.

I'm going to send back the netis one back home for my parents. So I wanted to know if I could use thia one or not.

10 hours ago, Grinch_ said:

So I'm guessing I'm setting up this vsol one wrongly?

I don't think you're supposed to edit anything on the TR069 connection profile. That's the ISP's "back door" into your ONT. IP acquisition should be set to DHCP on this connection.

Look for another connection profile like "Internet". You should be able to use PPPoE credentials there.

17 hours ago, Grinch_ said:

Yes. I want to use this vsol 2 in one instead of the netis router + onu combo I have.

I'm going to send back the netis one back home for my parents. So I wanted to know if I could use thia one or not.

Typically during activation the ONU serial number will be recorded at the ISP/telco and only the one they provided is authorised to connect to the PON.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Typically during activation the ONU serial number will be recorded at the ISP/telco and only the one they provided is authorised to connect to the PON.

So I need to contact my ISP to allow this ONU?

17 minutes ago, Grinch_ said:

Definitely!

Unless your ISP does not care about who connects to their fiber network, they usually have to authorize access by allowing not just the right credentials, but the right hardware signature.

They should also be helpful in getting you set up faster than what we are "guessing" that you need to do.

59 minutes ago, Grinch_ said:

Also consider you'll have the same problem getting the other router working at your parents, if it even can be configured to do so.  Plus the ISP likely want it back at the end of the contract, so this just seems a bad idea all around in my opinion.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I own the router though, they only provided me with their ONU. So, guess I'll ask those guys to see what can be done.

On 4/13/2024 at 10:19 PM, Grinch_ said:

Do you though?  Just because they didn't ask for it back, doesn't necessarily mean its yours.  I know in the UK the ONU remains the property of the fibre provider, you're supposed to leave it at the property even if you move or cancel the service.

All I know is I'm yet to see anyone report that their fibre ISP lets them use their own ONU.  The only exception to this are in some countries the ISP use an SFP ONU that can unofficially plug into any device.  Its just so much easier for the ISP to make the ONU the demarcation point and let you use a much wider selection of plain routers/gateways.

When an ISP provides a 2 in 1, usually the only option for your own router is to put it into bridge mode, effectively turning it back into an ONU only.