does mobo support a ram which isn't on it's qvl list?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

I'd be surprised if it didn't work. QVLs aren't made exhaustively and are rarely updated after the board is released, so there are plenty of kits that will work on that board that aren't on the QVL. It's much more likely that the kit just wasn't tested on that board than it is that the kit doesn't work. 

Granted, I haven't personally tried it so I can't guarantee it working 100%, but I haven't heard too many stories about RAM sticks actually being incompatible on a given motherboard for DDR5 (at least with good bins like 6000 CL30 that you're looking at, there's some weirdness that can show up in the worse bins like 5600 CL40). It was a bit of a thing on DDR4, especially in the early days of Ryzen, but nowadays, most RAM kits just use parts from SK Hynix and one of a couple OEM PCBs with the manufacturer just adding their own heat spreaders. 

9 minutes ago, AI_Must_Di3 said:

All that means is that they got a couple samples at those speeds/voltages/timings and it booted to desktop without crashs

Manufacturers do actually test the stability of the motherboards with an XMP/EXPO profile pretty thoroughly, though granted they tend to do the testing with the top bin CPU they have in the factory rather than something more representative of what you'd actually get. 

Manual adjustment of sticks is always preferred over xmp cause xmp/docp usually will overvolt your sticks to death.

No? XMP/DOCP/EXPO will load relatively normal voltages, whatever the memory kit is rated for. Sometimes motherboards will load wacky voltages for other parts of the CPU when you enable XMP, that can cause damage overtime, but that would happen regardless of whether you entered the memory settings manually or not. If XMP actually killed memory sticks, odds are there will have been a class action or two by now. 

Nobodys explained qvl's to ya, i guess?!!?! QVL's are pretty much worthless cause they only contain a brand or two and a few variants. All that means is that they got a couple samples at those speeds/voltages/timings and it booted to desktop without crashs. At one time they were more robust, but today they are useless. As long as you have the correct ddr generation and youre not flying too far from the mobo/cpu memory recommendations they will work, even if you have to fine tune them a bit yourself. Manual adjustment of sticks is always preferred over xmp cause xmp/docp usually will overvolt your sticks to death.

I'd be surprised if it didn't work. QVLs aren't made exhaustively and are rarely updated after the board is released, so there are plenty of kits that will work on that board that aren't on the QVL. It's much more likely that the kit just wasn't tested on that board than it is that the kit doesn't work. 

Granted, I haven't personally tried it so I can't guarantee it working 100%, but I haven't heard too many stories about RAM sticks actually being incompatible on a given motherboard for DDR5 (at least with good bins like 6000 CL30 that you're looking at, there's some weirdness that can show up in the worse bins like 5600 CL40). It was a bit of a thing on DDR4, especially in the early days of Ryzen, but nowadays, most RAM kits just use parts from SK Hynix and one of a couple OEM PCBs with the manufacturer just adding their own heat spreaders. 

All that means is that they got a couple samples at those speeds/voltages/timings and it booted to desktop without crashs

Manufacturers do actually test the stability of the motherboards with an XMP/EXPO profile pretty thoroughly, though granted they tend to do the testing with the top bin CPU they have in the factory rather than something more representative of what you'd actually get. 

Manual adjustment of sticks is always preferred over xmp cause xmp/docp usually will overvolt your sticks to death.

No? XMP/DOCP/EXPO will load relatively normal voltages, whatever the memory kit is rated for. Sometimes motherboards will load wacky voltages for other parts of the CPU when you enable XMP, that can cause damage overtime, but that would happen regardless of whether you entered the memory settings manually or not. If XMP actually killed memory sticks, odds are there will have been a class action or two by now. 

The QVL exists more for system integrators than it does the public. It's a way of saying, if you buy X ram with this motherboard it will run at X speed 99% of the time... 

It's not supposed to be an exhaustive list of every RAM kit out there. It's a buy this one and it will almost certainly work at the speed rated on the QVL, buying something else will 100% work, just sometimes you won't get the rated speed of the ram for whatever reason, but in the modern world it is rare that you can't get the rated speed unless it's a stupid high clock, like 5000mt/s on DDR4 for example 

ALL DDR5 ram will work on your board, but the only guaranteed speed is JEDEC specs, but in practice it's much less of an issue these days than it was in the ddr3 era because the JEDEC specs are much better than back in the day 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

ALL DDR5 ram will work on your board, but the only guaranteed speed is JEDEC specs

I do want to put an asterisk on that, since there are times that DDR5 will not work on a given board. The main example I can think of is the 24/48GB DIMMs from Corsair initially on AM5, since those would blue screen on boot up even at 3600 JEDEC for the first few months of their existence before AMD finally released an AGESA that fixed it. 

In this case yes, it should work, since this memory kit is a Hynix bin that's very well supported from all board board vendors, and instances of that are fairly rare, but it's not something that you can say ALL memory kit work at all times, because that's just not true. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I do want to put an asterisk on that, since there are times that DDR5 will not work on a given board. The main example I can think of is the 24/48GB DIMMs from Corsair initially on AM5, since those would blue screen on boot up even at 3600 JEDEC for the first few months of their existence before AMD finally released an AGESA that fixed it. 

In this case yes, it should work, since this memory kit is a Hynix bin that's very well supported from all board board vendors, and instances of that are fairly rare, but it's not something that you can say ALL memory kit work at all times, because that's just not true. 

True, I just meant that, if they have an up to date bios currently all DDR5 currently on the market should work. 

But I suppose clarity is important in these things

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

support - no.

work - more than likely yes.

the QVL is a list of parts that the manufacturer tested on the board, and will absolutely 100% guarantee to work.

but that doesnt mean that anything that wasnt tested doesnt work, since computer components are extremely standardized these days it's rare to find a combination of ram stick and motherboard that doesnt work, and even then it's usually a matter of just grabbing one speed lower on the list of profiles.

2 hours ago, AI_Must_Di3 said:

what.. are you even on about? XMP/DOCP is a method for the ram stick to tell the motherboard what it wants to run at. it literally exists so novice computer builders dont blow up their ram with punching in the wrong settings.