Cinebench

Kapiba

I have seen pc builders including Linus use cinebench and other softwares to stress test a new pc when they build/get one. I'm getting a pre build, and every video I have seen of somebody stress testing it, it always has good temps. Should I go through the hassle of downloading the softwares and stress testing my pre built when it comes? This is my first pc btw I don't know if it is worth the extra stress/time.

You can get Cinebench from the Microsoft store, it's free and requires no setup except for accepting the licence agreement.

Other softwares like Prime95 (for CPU stress testing) and Furmark (for GPU stress testing) are also free to download, from their respective websites.

If it's worth it is up to you to decide, from my experience downloading and setting up isn't a very complex ordeal but I've also done it a lot in the past.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

I didn't know cinebench was on the microsoft store, thank you for letting me know. But if I know from other pc tech creators that this model has good airflow and everything, should I still spend time to test it. Also what does Furmark and prime 95 test that cinebench doesn't?

Just now, Kapiba said:

Also what does Furmark and prime 95 test that cinebench doesn't?

They use a different way of testing, while Cinebench uses a demanding Render (to my knowledge, Cinebench r23 can only stress CPUs), Prime95 searches for prime numbers (using the CPU), and Furmark uses a render algorithm to stress the GPU to its limits.

8 minutes ago, Kapiba said:

should I still spend time to test it.

You don't have to, since you can just run your games and see if it performs up to your expectations, a stress test will just give you a score or some other form of metric that you can compare to other systems online.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

46 minutes ago, Kapiba said:

I didn't know cinebench was on the microsoft store, thank you for letting me know. But if I know from other pc tech creators that this model has good airflow and everything, should I still spend time to test it. Also what does Furmark and prime 95 test that cinebench doesn't?

Furmark is GPU stress test, Prime95 tests for clocks and thermal throttling, and Cinebench is used to determine how fast the processer is (will also test for TT)

6 hours ago, Kapiba said:

Running benchmarks will help to determine if you PC was built correctly and hasn't got defects.

I've run PCMark, almost every benchmark in 3DMark, Cinebench 2024, Linpack Extreme, Prime 95, and Unigine's Heaven, Valley and Superposition. Of these, I found that the 3 Unigine benchmarks, while visually interesting, didn't challenge my PC enough, nor did Linpack and PCMark. Most of 3DMark also wasn't demanding enough.  Cinebench 24, Prime 95 and and 3DMark Time Spy are my current suite for testing coolers.  CB24 has 3 tests, but I only use the GPU test, which tends to be helpful for checking the VRMs and mobo. Time Spy is great for the GPU, and Prime 95 with smallest FFTs or small FFTs really challenges my CPU. Actually, all three, depending on where I put the AIO rad, help me to test the mobo.

I watch the results using HWiNFO64.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂