Better fans or better cooler?

filpo
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
4 minutes ago, filpo said:

Current build: First SFF build - PCPartPicker (all I've changed is swapped the side intake for the Noctua P12 Redux that was up top and put the arctic fan there)

Thats the login page

So I've basically got two choices, upgrade the cooler to something like the thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE (which would be perfect in terms of height and is good for value) or get quieter fans (this is the worse option IMO but I will still have the low height from the wraith stealth (though I'm not planning on vertical mounting my gpu so it's not really useful)

Just get a bigger cooler that wraith stealth will only do a TINY bit better with a better fan on it. It's a basic simple cooler lacking the surface area needed to cool any better really.

5 minutes ago, filpo said:

Any thoughts on RAM clearance though? It's good I've got vengeance LPX but even still it looks like the fan will protrude it

You can move the fan around if it is in the way. This cooler also works fine with a single fan. Especially for such an easy to cool cpu like yours.

Posted (edited)

Current build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/vqTzgB (all I've changed is swapped the side intake for the Noctua P12 Redux that was up top and put the arctic fan there)

My 5600 system has been going good with the stock cooler with the current temps (75 with a quieter fan curve in pcbs2 and around 65 with a more aggressive on the system fans) but the noise is just getting to be too much for me, the fans I've got are quiet, but not at the rpms that are needed to keep the 5600 at this temperature with the stock cooler

So I've basically got two choices, upgrade the cooler to something like the thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE (which would be perfect in terms of height and is good for value) or get quieter fans (this is the worse option IMO but I will still have the low height from the wraith stealth (though I'm not planning on vertical mounting my gpu so it's not really useful)

With the thermalright PS120SE I will have to ditch at least one fan from what it seems (that'll be the LL120 since the rgb isn't working great due to a bug) 

Any thoughts on RAM clearance though? It's good I've got vengeance LPX but even still it looks like the fan will protrude it

image.png.5756d4cdceb57a616678b6858c590b3b.png

I'm open to other suggestions but preferably not an AIO (due to cost and how it'll be hard to put one in unless it has shorter tubes than normal)

I've also seen the Peerless Assassin Mini and the silver soul 135, I know they'll be worse in terms of performance compared to the PS120SE but I bet it won't be much, they'll also be easier to fit in the Nr200p

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 Mini Black Dual Tower Air Cooler — Computer Orbit

Thermalright Silver Soul 135 82 CFM CPU Cooler (Silver Soul 135 BLACK-D2) - PCPartPicker

I wouldn't really want to spend more than £50 regardless of it being fans or CPU cooler

Thanks!

Edited by filpo

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Current build: First SFF build - PCPartPicker (all I've changed is swapped the side intake for the Noctua P12 Redux that was up top and put the arctic fan there)

Thats the login page

Just get a bigger cooler that wraith stealth will only do a TINY bit better with a better fan on it. It's a basic simple cooler lacking the surface area needed to cool any better really.

5 minutes ago, filpo said:

You can move the fan around if it is in the way. This cooler also works fine with a single fan. Especially for such an easy to cool cpu like yours.

Just now, jaslion said:

Thats the login page

sorry, thought it would take you to the completed build

Editing now

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

great, PS120SE it is then. I only wanted to keep that front CPU fan for the rgb but I could just use it as a Case fan 

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

ye even increasing the RPM to max and the case fans to max decreases it by about 5 degrees 

Thanks 👍 

Current parts list

9 minutes ago, filpo said:

sorry, thought it would take you to the completed build

Editing now

great, PS120SE it is then. I only wanted to keep that front CPU fan for the rgb but I could just use it as a Case fan 

ye even increasing the RPM to max and the case fans to max decreases it by about 5 degrees 

Thanks 👍 

Also don't vert mount in a nr200 it's not good at it. Basically same gpu cooling performance wether it's side or bottom.

18 minutes ago, jaslion said:

^^^

a dinky little wraith stealth isnt gonna hold a candle to a 775 copper core or a wraith prism let alone a ps120se (= to a d15)

fans can only get you so far even if you get 38mm thick server fans or something like the p12 max/t30

so yeah size does matter =p

24 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Also don't vert mount in a nr200 it's not good at it. Basically same gpu cooling performance wether it's side or bottom.

I wasn't going to 😉. I guess people would do it for looks but I'll be keeping the mesh panel anyway

Current parts list