12100f Overheats

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 minute ago, Juice41 said:

Wait, what do you mean those Cinebench/emulator temperatures are fine? I got 90C+ on cinebench and that emulator...

100c is max for the chip, so those temps in the 90s are fine, and won't cause issues. The chip will throttle before damange can be done.

Running a 10 minute Multi-Core test yields a Maximum temperature of 93°C

I am using a stock cooler with two intake fans and an exhaust fan to the left of the processor.

The person who sold me the processor tested it in their own workbench with my processor and stock cooler in it (as well as the same fan configuration with the same fan brand and similar case) and he got a peak of 82°C.

6 minutes ago, Juice41 said:

I am using a stock cooler with two intake fans and an exhaust fan to the left of the processor.

The person who sold me the processor tested it in their own workbench with my processor and stock cooler in it (as well as the same fan configuration with the same fan brand and similar case) and he got a peak of 82°C.

stock cooler moment

What does it get in the kind of thing you actually use it for, like games?

3 minutes ago, Tetras said:

What does it get in the kind of thing you actually use it for, like games?

Tried using RPCS3, It's a PS3 emulator, and I got the same ~90°C

Will update you on some of the other games I play

9 minutes ago, Juice41 said:

Dunno why it heats more in your place than elsewhere, but anyway there's nothing to worry about, especially with a crap cooler...

What are gaming temps ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 minutes ago, Juice41 said:

Tried using RPCS3, It's a PS3 emulator, and I got the same ~90°C

Will update you on some of the other games I play

I think your cooler is not installed properly, or the fan curve in the BIOS is way too optimistic. True..., it is not very good, but it isn't THAT bad that it hits 90 c gaming, unless maybe you live somewhere very hot without air conditioning.

93°C is under the TJmax of 100°C, so assuming it's mounted correctly, it just means that the CPU cooler fan isn't making more noise than needed by spinning unnecessarily fast. 

:)

50 minutes ago, Juice41 said:

I am using a stock cooler

that explains pretty much everything, stock isn't really poweful and all core pulls electricity through all cores so basically as much of Wattage as the CPU can get..

image.png.ef1df85382ed211dcc75e91607d1f5d3.png

which can be over the max advertised turbo power, but is below it when gaming.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

2 hours ago, Tetras said:

I think your cooler is not installed properly, or the fan curve in the BIOS is way too optimistic. True..., it is not very good, but it isn't THAT bad that it hits 90 c gaming, unless maybe you live somewhere very hot without air conditioning.

I attempted to play a bunch of games which are CPU heavy for 10 minutes and all maxed at 64-66C

The games were:

- Minecraft with Complementary shaders

- FNAF Security breach

- And then a few Emulators

Do let me know if I need to test a game for longer than 10 minutes

Also, I have checked and the processor is properly mounted.

I will check the fan curves in a bit

Room temp is 60-75°F

4 minutes ago, Juice41 said:

I attempted to play a bunch of games which are CPU heavy for 10 minutes and all maxed at 64-66C

The games were:

- FNAF Security breach

Cool, that sounds much more normal.

4 minutes ago, Juice41 said:

The games were:

- FNAF Security breach

Do let me know if I need to test a game for longer than 10 minutes

Also, I have checked and the processor is properly mounted.

I will check the fan curves in a bit

Is there a problem here? All these temps are within spec and pretty much expected with the stock cooler. I don't see a need to change anything.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is there a problem here? All these temps are within spec and pretty much expected with the stock cooler. I don't see a need to change anything.

I believe these temps are just fine.

However as I previously mentioned, an emulator that I'd like to run pushes my CPU to about as hot as Cinebench.

Would setting the CPU usage to 99% instead of 100%, help?

I believe these temps are just fine.

However as I previously mentioned, an emulator that I'd like to run pushes my CPU to about as hot as Cinebench.

Would setting the CPU usage to 99% instead of 100%, help?

Those temps in cinebench/emulator are fine too. Is there a problem? I don't think any changes need to be made here.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Those temps in cinebench/emulator are fine too. Is there a problem? I don't think any changes need to be made here.

Wait, what do you mean those Cinebench/emulator temperatures are fine? I got 90C+ on cinebench and that emulator...

100c is max for the chip, so those temps in the 90s are fine, and won't cause issues. The chip will throttle before damange can be done.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

100c is max for the chip, so those temps in the 90s are fine, and won't cause issues.

Very well, thank you for your help.

Just in case I might lower to 99% CPU usage in the emulator and see if there is any significant performance and temperature drop.

Thank you again!

2 hours ago, Juice41 said:

I got 90C+ on cinebench and that emulator...

Cinebench is usually one of the most demanding benchmarks to run for your CPU and it can push CPUs even with water cooling, so your stock cooler is going to be HOT.

I don't know why your emulator is so hot when other games are normal temps in the 60-70 range.

On 4/8/2024 at 1:38 AM, Tetras said:

Cinebench is usually one of the most demanding benchmarks to run for your CPU and it can push CPUs even with water cooling, so your stock cooler is going to be HOT.

I don't know why your emulator is so hot when other games are normal temps in the 60-70 range.

It's likely on the more demanding side of things.

Setting my cpu at 99% for that specific emulator fixed the overheating problem