PC turning on and instantly off

Eiiner

Hello, I was recently changing the thermal paste of both GPU and CPU of my pc, during the process something went wrong, I assembled everything the way it was and at the moment of turning it on, it would instantly turn off. I tried troubleshooting by sticking one ram stick only, the usual component by component method. 

Realized that without the GPU power cables connected (It's still connected via PCI, just no power) the PC will actually turn on, I have no clue what went wrong but I can't turn the pc on with the GPU connected to it, any advice or should I replace? 

In case of replacing, can a 650W gold asus rog power supply handle a 4070 super?

25 minutes ago, Eiiner said:

Hello, I was recently changing the thermal paste of both GPU and CPU of my pc, during the process something went wrong, I assembled everything the way it was and at the moment of turning it on, it would instantly turn off. I tried troubleshooting by sticking one ram stick only, the usual component by component method. 

Realized that without the GPU power cables connected (It's still connected via PCI, just no power) the PC will actually turn on, I have no clue what went wrong but I can't turn the pc on with the GPU connected to it, any advice or should I replace? 

In case of replacing, can a 650W gold asus rog power supply handle a 4070 super?

A 650w can easily handle a 4070 Super 🙂

What CPU are you running?

5 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

A 650w can easily handle a 4070 Super 🙂

What CPU are you running?

It's  a ryzen 5 5700x with 32gb ram. Also would you have any advice on the issue mentioned above? Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Eiiner said:

It's  a ryzen 5 5700x with 32gb ram. Also would you have any advice on the issue mentioned above? Thanks!

Maybe something went wrong when you changed paste on the GPU.  Was it the 4070 Super?

Try to remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and try again.

650W is plenty for your system with a 4070 Super.

21 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Maybe something went wrong when you changed paste on the GPU.  Was it the 4070 Super?

Try to remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and try again.

650W is plenty for your system with a 4070 Super.

It was a 3070, still having issue when pluging the power cables, I think im going to look for a replacement

2 minutes ago, Eiiner said:

It was a 3070, still having issue when pluging the power cables, I think im going to look for a replacement

Alright. Something might have happened during the repasting.

The 4070 Super draws exactly the same amount of wattage as the 3070.

Your 650s will be plenty.

tear it apart and reseat the cpu then use the hdmi mobo side then add the gpu. if this doesn't work you fried something and test outside the case first !!! always test before putting in case !!!

1 minute ago, scruffballz_86 said:

tear it apart and reseat the cpu then use the hdmi mobo side then add the gpu. if this doesn't work you fried something and test outside the case first !!! always test before putting in case !!!

How would they get graphics out of the motherboard?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, scruffballz_86 said:

What do you mean but HDMI mobo side?

is there no built in hdmi ??? if not just rebuild it again and leave the cooler attached when installing it !!!

2 minutes ago, scruffballz_86 said:

is there no built in hdmi ??? if not just rebuild it again and leave the cooler attached when installing it !!!

He wrote he had a 5700x, it has no onboard graphics.

1 minute ago, scruffballz_86 said:

50 minutes ago, Eiiner said:

It's  a ryzen 5 5700x

There is no integrated graphics. They would never get graphics out even if there is a port on the motherboard. Telling them that if they don't have graphics out with no gpu then they fried something is just bad advice with their components.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

well if it was working before !!! what do you have to do again !!! reseat the cpu right !!! basic walk thru !!! don't feel sad I had to do that a few times before. when redoing paste !!!

17 minutes ago, Eiiner said:

Which specific 3070? What all did you disconnect when you repasted it? Did you take the cooler all the way off and unplug the RGB cables and fans coming from the board to the cooler? I'm curious if any of those connectors can be hooked up wrong.

1 hour ago, Eiiner said:

Realized that without the GPU power cables connected (It's still connected via PCI, just no power) the PC will actually turn on,

This makes me think it's a GPU specific issue. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

8 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Which specific 3070? What all did you disconnect when you repasted it? Did you take the cooler all the way off and unplug the RGB cables and fans coming from the board to the cooler? I'm curious if any of those connectors can be hooked up wrong.

This makes me think it's a GPU specific issue. 

Its an asus dual 3070, I just removed the screws from the backplate and the ones attached to the heatsink, and the plate that has the fans, once I was done re appying I just put it back together the same way. Even when I plug in the GPU I can see the fans spin before it shuts off

8 minutes ago, Eiiner said:

Its an asus dual 3070, I just removed the screws from the backplate and the ones attached to the heatsink, and the plate that has the fans, once I was done re appying I just put it back together the same way. Even when I plug in the GPU I can see the fans spin before it shuts off

Are you able to upload pictures of the graphics card? If you are, I'd like to see the PCB with the cooler on like this.

Spoiler

GPU backplate is slightly bent. Should I be worried? : buildapc

There's a couple things that can happen.

If you over tightened the 4 middle screws that hold the cooler onto the gpu die you can crack it or cause issues. If you tightened them unevenly you could crack it.

The reason I'd like to see a picture like the one above is it'll show us how square the cooler, pcb and backplate are to each other and if there's any immediate bad mounting it can show there. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Are you able to upload pictures of the graphics card? If you are, I'd like to see the PCB with the cooler on like this.

Reveal hidden contents

GPU backplate is slightly bent. Should I be worried? : buildapc

There's a couple things that can happen.

If you over tightened the 4 middle screws that hold the cooler onto the gpu die you can crack it or cause issues. If you tightened them unevenly you could crack it.

The reason I'd like to see a picture like the one above is it'll show us how square the cooler, pcb and backplate are to each other and if there's any immediate bad mounting it can show there. 

I wasn't sure but I took these ones

20240405_174635.jpg

20240405_174556.jpg

20240405_174520.jpg

20240405_174500.jpg

30 minutes ago, Eiiner said:

I wasn't sure but I took these ones

I would take it back apart. I see what looks like thermal pads near the vram that aren't actually over the vram. From the factory the pads shouldn't be wide enough to push out that far. I'd worry about over tightened cooler screws here or thermal pads not actually being where they're needed leading to a bad mount.

image.png.5e34e40a6e60a6f6fe3360eda4e12ff0.png

Oddly enough it looks like there is thermal pads over chips 2 and 3, but nothing over 1. Did you reuse pads?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

15 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I would take it back apart. I see what looks like thermal pads near the vram that aren't actually over the vram. From the factory the pads shouldn't be wide enough to push out that far. I'd worry about over tightened cooler screws here or thermal pads not actually being where they're needed leading to a bad mount.

image.png.5e34e40a6e60a6f6fe3360eda4e12ff0.png

Oddly enough it looks like there is thermal pads over chips 2 and 3, but nothing over 1. Did you reuse pads?

On that, when I pulled the heatsink apart, only the corner of the thermal pad stayed there (the one shown in the red circle) the rest of the pad is still on the same place, I made sure to not screw super tight, but I'm not sure if it would make a difference,  as mentioned, it's only the corner, as I just left the stock pads and didn't touch them

14 minutes ago, Eiiner said:

On that, when I pulled the heatsink apart, only the corner of the thermal pad stayed there (the one shown in the red circle) the rest of the pad is still on the same place, I made sure to not screw super tight, but I'm not sure if it would make a difference,  as mentioned, it's only the corner, as I just left the stock pads and didn't touch them

So to recap, computer worked before you repasted CPU and GPU. You took GPU apart, repasted it and now the computer won't work with the GPU in the computer. There's signs of the GPU being improperly put back together, that really is where I'd start. Taking it back apart and making sure everything went together correctly.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

9 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

So to recap, computer worked before you repasted CPU and GPU. You took GPU apart, repasted it and now the computer won't work with the GPU in the computer. There's signs of the GPU being improperly put back together, that really is where I'd start. Taking it back apart and making sure everything went together correctly.

So I did it again, I didn't find any issue other than the thermal pad shown, every scren has fit perfectly, I made sure its not super tight, but still getting the same issue, I can see the gpu fans spinning before it turns off, but idk if that changes anything 

• 2 weeks later...

your board might take up to 5 times restarting to work right if the bios battery was taken out. this only happens on the newer o.c. mobo's !!! mine restarts 3 times before it will hit the bios screen I just tried on a $1800 pre-built to see if it does it. like when I used to have a gigabyte with i7 2600k board !!! it took 4 false boots before a bios boot up !!!