Is the fiberoptics stuff on Aliexpress/Alibaba legit?

wiktorpyk
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
33 minutes ago, wiktorpyk said:

This made me curious, because in this video they gave higher prices. Did this stuff get cheaper since that video came out or are these scams or am I missing something?

These are unbranded mass produced optics, probably not superb quality but if they don't work, you should be able to get a refund.

Only thing that stands out aside from lack of branding is that the pictures of fibers plugged in are all multi mode fibers even though these are single mode SFPs. But that contributes to the general cheapness of the listing.  Either way, you could buy these and they are (probably) not duds.

33 minutes ago, wiktorpyk said:

This made me curious, because in this video they gave higher prices. Did this stuff get cheaper since that video came out or are these scams or am I missing something?

These are unbranded mass produced optics, probably not superb quality but if they don't work, you should be able to get a refund.

Only thing that stands out aside from lack of branding is that the pictures of fibers plugged in are all multi mode fibers even though these are single mode SFPs. But that contributes to the general cheapness of the listing.  Either way, you could buy these and they are (probably) not duds.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

I mean to be fair they ripped the images directly from fs.com with the switch, which is a switch that doesn't even support 25g to begin with (it's a Cisco Nexus 9396PX that's shown). I don't expect much thought into quality was given 😛

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, wiktorpyk said:

The question pretty much explains it. For example, I found this 25Gb/s SFP transceiver for $15.50 on Alibaba or this 10Gb/s transciever for $8.76 on Aliexpress. This made me curious, because in this video they gave higher prices. Did this stuff get cheaper since that video came out or are these scams or am I missing something?

Usually aliexpress is good with refunds, just gotta provide some proof that it isnt as expected/broken. But usually the things they list are correct.