RSR in new RX7000 series

EdoTensei

Few years ago, I've been trying RSR, on my 5700XT, and also 6700XT later. But it was looking like poop. 

Now I have 7800XT, and I tried that, and it looks actually really good. It works, cuz giving me more FPS, but it's not pixelating like FSR.. 

Is there some newer RSR implemented onto newer Adrenaline drivers, or we don't know, but it using AI cores from 7000 series 😱 

As far as I know no. Isn’t FSR merely a software implementation?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

10 minutes ago, Levent said:

As far as I know no. Isn’t FSR merely a software implementation?

FSR yeah, but RSR (the similar to FSR, but driver-level upscaler, which was released at Some time at January 2022. But FSR looks way worse IMO, than RSR, at least FSR 2.2 and 3.0. 

6 minutes ago, EdoTensei said:

But FSR looks way worse IMO, than RSR, at least FSR 2.2 and 3.0. 

That shouldn't be the case since they are based on exactly the same algorithm.

FSR needs to be included into the game, which gives it access to things like motion vectors and the ability to exclude UI elements from upscaling.

RSR does exactly the same at the driver level, so it requires no specific support from the game developer. But it doesn't have access to motion vectors and will upscale everything, including the UI.

So in general its quality can't be better and will usually be worse than native in-game support.

The only thing might be that the game includes an older version of FSR (maybe even 1.0), while the driver uses the latest version.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, EdoTensei said:

But FSR looks way worse IMO, than RSR, at least FSR 2.2 and 3.0. 

Yeah, this doesn't make much sense unless there is some user error/mis-configuration going on here. (FSR set to Performance or Ultra Performance, for example). 

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

The only thing might be that the game includes an older version of FSR (maybe even 1.0), while the driver uses the latest version.

Upscaling it from 1440p to 4k, but that's what the FSR doing when using 4K Res with FSR Balanced mode. 

Banishers Ghost if New Eden, using FSR 2.2, and whole foliage pixelating, meanwhile RSR clean like native, but with performance if FSR Balanced. 

3 hours ago, EdoTensei said:

Upscaling it from 1440p to 4k, but that's what the FSR doing when using 4K Res with FSR Balanced mode.

If I'm not mistaken FSR balanced with a 4K output resolution should use an internal render resolution of 2259x1270, not 1440p. To get 1440p, you need to use Quality. I assume you've set the game's resolution to 1440p when using RSR?

The issue here isn't necessarily FSR but rather the game's implementation of it. The quality can vary quite a bit, depending on how well the developers have integrated it.

~edit: Maybe another thing to note: when you switch the game from TAA to FSR 2.2, you get a sharpness slider. Did you try setting that to anything other than 0%?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

If I'm not mistaken FSR balanced with a 4K output resolution should use an internal render resolution of 2259x1270, not 1440p. To get 1440p, you need to use Quality. I assume you've set the game's resolution to 1440p when using RSR?

My bad, I confused it with Ultra Quality, and yeah I ment Quality mode, not Balanced in this case 🙈

3 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

~edit: Maybe another thing to note: when you switch the game from TAA to FSR 2.2, you get a sharpness slider. Did you try setting that to anything other than 0%?

Yes, but the 0% has less noticeable pixelating. Still there is but less. 

Although, if FSR 3.1 will get rid of this pixelation, then it may be good. 

Also I read about 3.1 s bit more, and if I good understand, that they've said, it will be available as a file to easily replace it as DLSS and XESS by swapping DLLs files ? 

Screenshot_20240405-214115.thumb.png.4e63af068bdba5e660b4c4c4a62a5da7.png

If that would be true, damn, no more waiting for months, till Devs to implement new versions into the game. Hope dreams come true 😅

Played through multiple games now with only FSR available (Quality mode only, ever) and zero "pixelation". Played back on a 4K native display. 

Last I can remember was Jedi Survivor (at launch, DLSS was not yet available).