Cpu cooler constantly at 100%

KFC1337

So, my cpu cooler is constantly at 100% speed even when pc  is idle, ive tried many things to fix it and here's what i have

SpeedFan : My fans dont get detected in it

Looking for unplugged cables : I have all my cables plugged except 1 that is a splitter cable im pretty sure coming from the cpu cooler but it doesnt reach where it is supposed to be plugged but i dont think its from it cuz the cable it comes from is split in 2 and the other half is plugged in

Configuring speed in bios : Ive tried configuring my speed in bios but it just doesn't react to it

The cooler is constantly at 100% and sometimes just decides to stop being at 100% for a while and goes back to being at 100% idk what the issue is so please share your experience

2 minutes ago, KFC1337 said:

So, my cpu cooler is constantly at 100% speed even when pc  is idle, ive tried many things to fix it and here's what i have

Looking for unplugged cables : I have all my cables plugged except 1 that is a splitter cable im pretty sure coming from the cpu cooler but it doesnt reach where it is supposed to be plugged but i dont think its from it cuz the cable it comes from is split in 2 and the other half is plugged in

Configuring speed in bios : Ive tried configuring my speed in bios but it just doesn't react to it

The cooler is constantly at 100% and sometimes just decides to stop being at 100% for a while and goes back to being at 100% idk what the issue is so please share your experience

Could you tell us the cooler and system specs?

5 minutes ago, KFC1337 said:

SpeedFan AFAIK has been deprecated and doesn't really work with hardware made in the last 5-10 years. FanControl is the spiritual successor that actually works with modern hardware. 

What cooler do you have, what CPU do you have, what motherboard do you have, and what temps are your CPU running at?

10 minutes ago, KFC1337 said:

Could you rephrase that part a bit, or better yet, provide a picture? Having trouble wrapping my head about what is or is not plugged.

1 hour ago, Hinjima said:

Could you tell us the cooler and system specs?

Im not really sure about the cooler cuz i got my pc prebuilt all i know is its silentiumpc, the specs are i7-12700kf, rtx 3080, 32gigs of ram 850w psu, 1tb nvme and msi z690 pro a ddr4 mobo

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

SpeedFan AFAIK has been deprecated and doesn't really work with hardware made in the last 5-10 years. FanControl is the spiritual successor that actually works with modern hardware. 

What cooler do you have, what CPU do you have, what motherboard do you have, and what temps are your CPU running at?

All i know abt the cooler is its silentiumpc cuz i got my pc prebuilt without the boxes of the parts, the mobo is msi z690 pro a ddr4 cpu is running at around 45-50c while playing minecraft using discord + screensharing and having like 4-5 apps open

1 hour ago, Aleph256 said:

Could you rephrase that part a bit, or better yet, provide a picture? Having trouble wrapping my head about what is or is not plugged.

Ill send pictures tmr cuz its 4am dont wanna wake someone up

13 minutes ago, KFC1337 said:

All i know abt the cooler is its silentiumpc cuz i got my pc prebuilt without the boxes of the parts, the mobo is msi z690 pro a ddr4 cpu is running at around 45-50c while playing minecraft using discord + screensharing and having like 4-5 apps open

These temps shouldn't result in max ramping... Gut feeling says it might be a PWM issue?
When you'll snap pictures, try to check how many pins your CPU fan power cables have. If it only has 2 or 3 pins, then you can't control the speed.

See this article for details.

21 minutes ago, Aleph256 said:

These temps shouldn't result in max ramping... Gut feeling says it might be a PWM issue?
When you'll snap pictures, try to check how many pins your CPU fan power cables have. If it only has 2 or 3 pins, then you can't control the speed.

See this article for details.

IMG_2871.jpeg

IMG_2870.jpeg

IMG_2866.jpeg

IMG_2865.jpeg

Thats the cables

13 hours ago, Aleph256 said:

If it only has 2 or 3 pins, then you can't control the speed.

Not exactly. A fan controller can be used to control a 2-pin, and a 3-pin can be controlled by hardware and software via voltage change. 

13 hours ago, KFC1337 said:

IMG_2871.jpeg

IMG_2870.jpeg

IMG_2866.jpeg

IMG_2865.jpeg

The first is a PWM cable. Is that for a fan or splitter?11

The other 3 are missing the tachometer (3rd) pin. Are they part of a splitter?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Not exactly. A fan controller can be used to control a 2-pin, and a 3-pin can be controlled by hardware and software via voltage change. 

The first is a PWM cable. Is that for a fan or splitter?11

The other 3 are missing the tachometer (3rd) pin. Are they part of a splitter?

Both are coming from the cpu cooler the first one is plugged in cpu_fan and the second one is coming from the plug in cpu fan and its not plugged anywhere

I also uploaded a image from the fan manual (im not sure if its the exact model but they all seem to have the same cables)

image.png

5 minutes ago, KFC1337 said:

Both are coming from the cpu cooler the first one is plugged in cpu_fan and the second one is coming from the plug in cpu fan and its not plugged anywhere

What exactly do you mean, you have 1 header with holes into the motherboard and the other ones with prongs, fans are plugged into those?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

4 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

What exactly do you mean, you have 1 header with holes into the motherboard and the other ones with prongs, fans are plugged into those?

The one with holes is plugged into the motherboard, the one with prongs is hanging and idk where i need to plug it in, or if i need to but thats the only clue i have to solving my issue

1 minute ago, KFC1337 said:

The one with holes is plugged into the motherboard, the one with prongs is hanging and idk where i need to plug it in, or if i need to but thats the only clue i have to solving my issue

So thats either a daisy chain or a splitter, if the latter, plug one fan into the 4 pin and another fan into one of the 3 pins and see how it runs, if its running at 100% change the cpu_fan header from DC to PWM in bios and see, if that doesnt work, we'll figure something out

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

10 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

So thats either a daisy chain or a splitter, if the latter, plug one fan into the 4 pin and another fan into one of the 3 pins and see how it runs, if its running at 100% change the cpu_fan header from DC to PWM in bios and see, if that doesnt work, we'll figure something out

Yes but the cable doesnt fit in any of the plugs and all the fans are set to pwm in bios

33 minutes ago, KFC1337 said:

Yes but the cable doesnt fit in any of the plugs and all the fans are set to pwm in bios

You are being too vague. You put up 4 images, then said both, so I must assume that the 3 "prong" images are actually of one, not 3. That is for daisy-chaining. Any fans plugged into that will revolve just the same as the first one. 

Silentium is now Endorfy AFAIK. If you look in BIOS at the fan curve for the CPU_FAN header, is it set to DC, PWM or auto? If it's set to anything other than PWM, please set it to PWM. Make sure that the fan curve is then set to whichever profile you prefer, or make your own if it speed customization. 

Case fans should be plugged into other headers, not the cooler daisy-chain socket with prongs, and not CPU_OPT or pump. Just look for 4-pin headers on your mobo. Make sure that they are set in BIOS to PWM unless they aren't, and set the fan curve. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

You are being too vague. You put up 4 images, then said both, so I must assume that the 3 "prong" images are actually of one, not 3. That is for daisy-chaining. Any fans plugged into that will revolve just the same as the first one. 

Silentium is now Endorfy AFAIK. If you look in BIOS at the fan curve for the CPU_FAN header, is it set to DC, PWM or auto? If it's set to anything other than PWM, please set it to PWM. Make sure that the fan curve is then set to whichever profile you prefer, or make your own if it speed customization. 

Case fans should be plugged into other headers, not the cooler daisy-chain socket with prongs, and not CPU_OPT or pump. Just look for 4-pin headers on your mobo. Make sure that they are set in BIOS to PWM unless they aren't, and set the fan curve. 

Everything is set to pwm and the fan is plugged into CPU_FAN but the thing is it doesnt react to the fan curve in bios its always at 100% when pc is idle when playing games always, and yes the 3 images are the same plug i just took 3 images i shouldnt have uploaded all but yeah its the same plug or whatever its called, but the thing is i havent resolved the issue its still going 100% at all times bios setting is on pwm and ive configured the fan curve but it still stays at 100% at all times

59 minutes ago, KFC1337 said:

Everything is set to pwm and the fan is plugged into CPU_FAN but the thing is it doesnt react to the fan curve in bios its always at 100% when pc is idle when playing games always, and yes the 3 images are the same plug i just took 3 images i shouldnt have uploaded all but yeah its the same plug or whatever its called, but the thing is i havent resolved the issue its still going 100% at all times bios setting is on pwm and ive configured the fan curve but it still stays at 100% at all times

Ok. Are you running the MSI mobo software?

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Ok. Are you running the MSI mobo software?

Yes and i tried changing the speed there but it says the rpm has changed and it hasn't 😕

3 minutes ago, KFC1337 said:

Yes and i tried changing the speed there but it says the rpm has changed and it hasn't 😕

What MSI software are you running (not drivers)?

Kinda sounds like the fans are plugged into a fan splitter and that is going into the pump header.

23 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

What MSI software are you running (not drivers)?

msi center

19 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

Kinda sounds like the fans are plugged into a fan splitter and that is going into the pump header.

nah cuz on the msi app on the pump fan it says 0rpm so its not that

1 hour ago, KFC1337 said:

msi center

Ok, I want you to uninstall SpeedFan and disable the MSI Center from loading at startup, restart your computer, and check task manager to make sure it's not running and no part of it is running. If you still have problems, look on MSI's website for a clean uninstall program to uninstall it, and try again. If that doesn't help, you can reinstall it unless you want to search the Internet for indications that this program interferes with fans (Asus Armoury Crate does) and see if you can find a solution.

And, please do this:

6 hours ago, RevGAM said: