Tips on finding the head skipping disk out of 30.

Levent
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

Adapt an old mechanic's trick: use a long handle screwdriver as a stethoscope and listen for the clunky drive. (Touch the tip of the driver to the drives, and your ear to the end of the handle.)

I got 30 disks in my server, 26 of them are mechanical drives. One of them has its head skipping back and forth when I am browsing my nas shares.

Pool reports health as fine (RAIDZ2), files are intact.

SMART data of all disks are fine, self tests complete just fine, nothing that alerts me. Hence why I am even creating this thread.

Its annoying the shit out of me every time I launch jellyfin I have to listen this shit.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

I got 30 disks in my server, 26 of them are mechanical drives. One of them has its head skipping back and forth when I am browsing my nas shares.

Pool reports health as fine (RAIDZ2), files are intact.

SMART data of all disks are fine, self tests complete just fine, nothing that alerts me. Hence why I am even creating this thread.

Its annoying the shit out of me every time I launch jellyfin I have to listen this shit.

Disconnect one by one until you find the correct one? 😄 

Adapt an old mechanic's trick: use a long handle screwdriver as a stethoscope and listen for the clunky drive. (Touch the tip of the driver to the drives, and your ear to the end of the handle.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Disconnect one by one until you find the correct one? 😄 

Yeah that is a problem in itself too. I only have direct access to first 18 drives (I have 3x6 bay 2.5" caddies in the 5.25 bays) rest are internal and some are taped inside the case. I gave this a go but ended up killing two disks (somehow).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Yeah that is a problem in itself too. I only have direct access to first 18 drives (I have 3x6 bay 2.5" caddies in the 5.25 bays) some are taped inside the case. I gave this a go but ended up killing two disks (somehow).

Uughh, thats unfortunate. Ehm.. Then I dont know ^^ 

Just now, Hinjima said:

Just now, Hinjima said:

Honestly speaking I was wondering if there was some sort of an SMART data that could indicate issues like this so that I can read serial number of the disk before disconnecting it.

36 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

In the end gave this a go and found the shitty disk. Funny enough its another Pollyanna hitachi. Thanks that worked.

1 minute ago, Levent said:

In the end gave this a go and found the shitty disk. Funny enough its another Pollyanna hitachi. Thanks that worked.

You're welcome!

Sometimes low tech is the best tech.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.