Older PSU advice

Pablo.22

Hi everyone ! 

I have pc with these components(~1y old): i5 12400f, Asus tuf b660m plus d4, 32gb ddr4 3600, m2 Kingston KC3000 1tb.
When I bought them, I added this components from older pc: MSI Ventus 1650super(4y old), m2 Kingston A2000 500gb(2y old), hdd Toshiba P300 3tb(4y old), some basic case, and Seasonic S12SSii620 620w(4y old) psu.
There were no visible problems, like shutdowns, restarts, there were some bsods early( I think that RAM- xmp profile were causing it, it is running on 3400 now, no issues after bios updates), but nothing in last couple of months.

My concern is about psu. I read on multiple resources that this Seasonic S12SSii is an older design and uses group regulation which can cause problems for any pc build after Haswell. I read that it has quality capacitors, but also that this group regulation stuff can damage components on crosloads, mostly when +12v rail pulls very small amount of power. I recently disabled those C states in bios, that was suggested in some topics, they were enabled almost 1 year.
I need some advice on this about this since more than >90% of time I use pc for browsing, so very small power draw from cpu, gpu.

Also I was thinking about little upgrade in future, but maybe psu must be upgraded first.

So, do I need new psu or I can keep with this one some time ?
Sorry, my English is not perfect.

The 12v rail is unlikely to be using less than the other rails, even with the c-states enabled, since your graphics card alone probably pulls more than everything else at idle when you're browsing.

1 minute ago, Tetras said:

The 12v rail is unlikely to be using less than the other rails, even with the c-states enabled, since your graphics card alone probably pulls more than everything else at idle when you're browsing.

Thanks, so there will be no problem ? I read also that this type of psu can shorten lifespan of components. I can buy new psu, but only if necessary. 

Just now, Pablo.22 said:

Thanks, so there will be no problem ? I read also that this type of psu can shorten lifespan of components. I can buy new psu, but only if necessary. 

It’s a decent enough psu and it’s only 4 years old. You’re way over thinking this, it’s a normal system with a normal psu.

4 minutes ago, Pablo.22 said:

It'll be fine but when getting a more power hungry gpu it is something I would change then as well.

Can it cause harm? Somewhat however components are built to be resiliant against this as in a lot of budget systems group reg psu's are still used.

So whilst they aren't the norm anymore they are still in use and thus a spec you need to provision for somewhat.

@jaslion OK, when I plan to buy gpu I will buy also some solid psu.

1 hour ago, Pablo.22 said:

Hi everyone ! 

I have pc with these components(~1y old): i5 12400f, Asus tuf b660m plus d4, 32gb ddr4 3600, m2 Kingston KC3000 1tb.
When I bought them, I added this components from older pc: MSI Ventus 1650super(4y old), m2 Kingston A2000 500gb(2y old), hdd Toshiba P300 3tb(4y old), some basic case, and Seasonic S12SSii620 620w(4y old) psu.
There were no visible problems, like shutdowns, restarts, there were some bsods early( I think that RAM- xmp profile were causing it, it is running on 3400 now, no issues after bios updates), but nothing in last couple of months.

My concern is about psu. I read on multiple resources that this Seasonic S12SSii is an older design and uses group regulation which can cause problems for any pc build after Haswell. I read that it has quality capacitors, but also that this group regulation stuff can damage components on crosloads, mostly when +12v rail pulls very small amount of power. I recently disabled those C states in bios, that was suggested in some topics, they were enabled almost 1 year.
I need some advice on this about this since more than >90% of time I use pc for browsing, so very small power draw from cpu, gpu.

Also I was thinking about little upgrade in future, but maybe psu must be upgraded first.

So, do I need new psu or I can keep with this one some time ?
Sorry, my English is not perfect.

Your system barely needs 150W power, even batteries will be good lol, so don't worry too much

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

6 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Your system barely needs 150W power, even batteries will be good lol, so don't worry too much

You are right about power consumption, it could probably handle rx6600 or graphics cards with similar power consumption.
The lack of protections, possible spikes on crossloads, group regulated psu, tier E on cultist list (I guess it is reliable website ??)...that's what bothered me.
I am also finding articles like this , and this on this forum also, so I wanted to here some opinions just to be sure that this is not a big problem.

7 hours ago, Pablo.22 said:

From what I'm aware, the S12II can cope best if the 12v rail is higher than the other rails, which is normally the case in a modern PC, even when running at fairly low load.

Sudden high load can be a problem with group regulated PSUs, because they're slow to compensate for a high load on only one rail, but your PC is way under the 620 watt capacity, so you should be fine.

I believe this is a review of the same model as your PSU, but with a different label:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/antec-hcg-620/

You can see the limitations of the design in the review, but I think your PC won't be troubling it unduly and you have limited devices that are fed from the exposed rails on the PSU anyhow. You may also want to read their comments on the forum thread.