boot windows from m.2 ssd on older motherboard without m.2 suppourt

Amir F. Rad
Go to solution Solved by MrSimplicity,
7 minutes ago, Amir F. Rad said:

馃槃聽i am putting it into pcie x1 just need a little bit of preasure to go inside proeprly and some glue to stay true lol. there is an amazing invention called m.2 to pci express adapter

Fair enough, was just curious. I know nothing about Clover EFI Bootloader, However, I found this聽https://www.aioboot.com/en/clover-bootloader-windows/聽I can almost guarantee that you have already found this guide but if not then I hope it helps.

i am trying to boot from m.2 ssd on a older pc without m.2 suppourt, i used a modified bios and managed to boot from a samsung 970 evo plus, now i want to use another m.2 on this pc which is a wd sn530 256gb 2242 ssd. bios wont recognize this ssd at all but windows instalation page shows it but wont let to install windows on it, after some research i came across a tool called clover and how i can use it to boot from m.2 ssd, but what ever i did i couldnt make it work, i couldnt even make my pc boot into clover at the first place, does anyone have any information how i can find clover instalation file for windows or boot from wd sn530 from msi x58 gd-45 motherboard? i love this mobo i want to use it, also i have an intel 13th gen pc 13600k to do ready things on that pc to use on my other motherboard聽

My only question is where are you plugging the M.2 in to boot from it to begin with?

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7聽GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler:聽ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard聽
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: 6 various HDDs and SSDs
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL聽
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1000w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED 49"
Keyboard: Logitech G915聽
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti

22 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

My only question is where are you plugging the M.2 in to boot from it to begin with?

馃槃聽i am putting it into pcie x1 just need a little bit of preasure to go inside proeprly and some glue to stay true lol. there is an amazing invention called m.2 to pci express adapter

7 minutes ago, Amir F. Rad said:

Fair enough, was just curious. I know nothing about Clover EFI Bootloader, However, I found this聽https://www.aioboot.com/en/clover-bootloader-windows/聽I can almost guarantee that you have already found this guide but if not then I hope it helps.

CPU Cooler:聽ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

1 minute ago, MrSimplicity said:

yea the file is passwork protected i couldnt extract clover legacy bootloader.exe from it , it has a password for extraction sadly, by the way thanksfor thw time to search at least

3 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

i just read your pc config, do you have any problem with cooling your cpu with your aio? i have 13600k with noctua nh-d14 which is basically more or less the same with d15, when i stress test the cpu with cpuz, the core temps and pakage temp jumps to 100 and thermal throthles while cpu socket temp is 50 and when stop the stress test it comes back to 50 immidietely i thought maybe the problem is with how fast heat can trasfers to cooler, also i used cooler master v2 pro for thermal paste do you have any experience on this topic?

3 minutes ago, Amir F. Rad said:

i just read your pc config, do you have any problem with cooling your cpu with your aio?

Thanks for pointing that out actually, I don't have that AIO anymore as the bracket it came with just would NOT sit right ultimately leading to thermal throttling and hitting 100 almost instantly under any load.聽https://a.co/d/aLBZfFY聽is the cooler I ended up buying and it's handled anything and everything and more that I can throw at it now. In your case it seems you either have too much thermal paste or you just need to reseat the cooler. Depending on the last time you put new paste on it could be dried up with it getting that hot.

15 minutes ago, Amir F. Rad said:

yea the file is passwork protected i couldnt extract clover legacy bootloader.exe from it

1. DownloadClover Legacy Installer聽and extract the .exe files inside (password: aioboot). <---聽

Password for the file is right there if you downloaded it from the same guide I linked.

*EDIT* wouldn't blame you for not trusting a passworded ZIP tho.

9 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:
  1. DownloadClover Legacy Installer聽and extract the .exe files inside (password: aioboot). <---聽

Password for the file is right there if you downloaded it from the same guide I linked.

where the hell did you find the password

11 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

nevermind i found it, it seems my eyes are really failing thanks a lot for your help it seems you managed to solve the issue with your eagle eyes 馃槃

9 minutes ago, Amir F. Rad said:

where the hell did you find the password

lol, it was there in the post right next to the download link for the legacy installer. When I view it on my browser, it did wrap around the text just under where it says download. So I can see how it could be missed.

1 minute ago, Amir F. Rad said:

nevermind i found it

Hope you can get it all working. As I said I honestly never heard of the program prior to this post.

lol, it was there in the post right next to the download link for the legacy installer. When I view it on my browser, it did wrap around the text just under where it says download. So I can see how it coule be missed.

what do you expect from a guy who cant difrentiate between 1080 and 4k聽

Hope you can get it all working. As I said I honestly never heard of the program prior to this post.

thanks i hope too i did it once with samsung now it is time to make it work with all m.2 ssds you wont bellieve what these 1366 socket motherboards capable of, i even fixed a couple of gpus with this motherboard i did put dead gpu on it and worked like a charm

4 minutes ago, Amir F. Rad said:

what do you expect from a guy who cant difrentiate between 1080 and 4k聽

Unless you're watching like 8K HDR content 1080p doesn't look that much different on a 4K display than 4K does. I have a 75" TV about 3 feet from the edge of my bed and am constantly watching 1080p movies and they don't really look any different than my 4K content does.聽

Just now, MrSimplicity said:

Unless you're watching like 8K HDR content 1080p doesn't look that much different on a 4K display than 4K does. I have a 75" TV about 3 feet from the edge of my bed and am constantly watching 1080p movies and they don't really look any better than my 4K content does.聽

let me explain it another way, if you put a 1080 monitor with 60htz refresh rate infront of me and another monitor with 4k resoulution and 500 refresh rate i cant say which one is which i see both of them as the same, i always even download videos on 480p and watch them on a 1080p 60htz monitor becasue i cant see any diffrent between 480p and 1080p too聽

1 minute ago, Amir F. Rad said:

let me explain it another way, if you put a 1080 monitor with 60htz refresh rate infront of me and another monitor with 4k resoulution and 500 refresh rate i cant say which one is which i see both of them as the same, i always even download videos on 480p and watch them on a 1080p 60htz monitor becasue i cant see any diffrent between 480p and 1080p too聽

HOLY SHIT!!! That umm... sounds really annoying. Is that like a, your glasses prescription is really high or just a visual processing thing? (you don't have to answer that) I can't even imagine. I'll admit 720p on a 1080p monitor isn't terrible but 480p is just fat pixels to me. that's like watching new movie today on an Imax screen but it looking like your watching the andy griffith show or golden girls. On the bright side that saves you a ton of money on hard drive space.

4 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

HOLY SHIT!!! That umm... sounds really annoying. Is that like a, your glasses prescription is really high or just a visual processing thing? (you don't have to answer that) I can't even imagine. I'll admit 720p on a 1080p monitor isn't terrible but 480p is just fat pixels to me. that's like watching new movie today on an Imax screen but it looking like your watching the andy griffith show or golden girls. On the bright side that saves you a ton of money on hard drive space.

馃槃聽i dont wear any glasses and at 37 years old both my eyes are 10 out of 10 i dont wear glasses even for reading, just it seems i lack the cuda cores needed to preoccess pixel sizes or refresh rates, trust me life is better this way, no need for expensive monitors or lots of sotrate, all my video archives for 20 years is less than 500 gb and it contains at least 20 tv serries and a lot of diffrent movies