Oled monitor asking me to do "panel protect" compensation feature every once in a while.

rippy4500

After using my new oled monitor for a while, every couple hours or when turning on the display sometimes this pop up would ask me to execute its "panel protect" feature. I haven't done it yet manually or when it says just cause I don't like doing anything without fully understanding it first. I looked it up and it's a compensation feature to help with uniformity, but I don't think its the same as a full refresh.
image.thumb.png.ab8278b190c4c17c349316020c371911.png
It seems to do it automatically when I turn it off if it needs to be done. Should I always execute it when it says or just always press cancel and let it do it automatically?

I can make it show up only every 16 hours of total usage, but can't fully disable the pop up to just let it only run automatically and not disturb me all the time.

Brightness 25%, Contrast 60%, color mode sRGB, color temperature normal, no hdr. Pixel shift set to "slow" (it cant be fully disabled), and other oled protection features like taskbar detection and other stuff I left off. They were off by default anyways and I heard they mess with the image too much.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10 Home 64-Bit EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

just seems like a gimmick.  try turning the warning off somehow. 

31 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

but can't fully disable the pop up to just let it only run automatically and not disturb me all the time.

honestly?  I'd just return the monitor if that's the case lol.

again seems like a gimmick and implies the monitor has burn in issues why msi is nagging you so much with it. 

or you just do it, which seems annoying and who knows if it even helps. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Lot of discussion on that topic on /r/OLED_Gaming (IMO the largest grouping of users of OLED's for PC use) 

Quite a lot of unhappy buyers about how that feature is handled, hopefully its resolved in a future firmware update. 

https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/1b1y3cu/msi_oled_care_getting_in_the_way/

https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/1axxc0m/msi_mpg_271qrx_qdoled_problems_thread/

Normally, this is something the monitor should do automatically AFTER the monitor goes into standby. Other models, such as the Dell AW3423DWF, have an option to disable this notification window and do just that. Try to find such an option in the OSD, but don't turn this feature off completely.

Either way, don't follow @Mark Kaine's advice to ignore this feature. These pixel refreshing algorithms are essential to prevent both temporary image retention in the short term and permanent image retention (burn-in) in the long term.

OLED TVs have been doing this right for years, so I don't know why monitor brands have suddenly decided it's best to constantly annoy their users during use instead of just doing it after the monitor goes into standby.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

39 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

OLED TVs have been doing this right for years, so I don't know why monitor brands have suddenly decided it's best to constantly annoy their users during use instead of just doing it after the monitor goes into standby.

It's not that bad I just had to set it to only do it after 16 hours of usage. And it doesn't seem to annoy me much anymore during use, not sure what else I changed but its basically fine now cause for some reason it seemed to ignore this setting before.

43 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Normally, this is something the monitor should do automatically AFTER the monitor goes into standby. Other models, such as the Dell AW3423DWF, have an option to disable this notification window and do just that. Try to find such an option in the OSD, but don't turn this feature off completely.

My monitor has been doing that automatically. Kinda annoying if it does it when I want to turn off the display then back on right away for whatever reason.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10 Home 64-Bit EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero