Anyone using SSD to backup by Hyper Backup ? faster ?

Go to solution Solved by Bersella AI,

Yes, an external hard drive would struggle in copying such huge amount of files, especially when executing a FULL backup and/or based on SMR recording. I would rather consider using the USB Copy app to back up off-line, because 1) this app supports INCREMENTAL backup and thus would not require copying the exact same files again, and 2) all files can be accessed on other PCs immediately when failures occur on the NAS.

With an external SSD, data would be backed up times as fast as hard drives. However, be cautious that data recovery is virtually infeasible with SSDs, and data degradation or loss may occur with SSDs after prolonged off-site storage. If you have adequate, safe copies of data, just take one.😃

Hello , 
I have 2 external hdd , one fast enough , one very slow 10 hours to backup and not done .
I want buy ssd to backup ,  not sure about cache and speed by hyper backup app 

have you backed up by SSD ?

I have Adapter this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0759567JT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1
, working no issue , Backing up to 1tb hdd 3.5 inch 
worth to buy SSD for backup monthly ?

2024-03-29 03_46_48-PSP - Brave.png

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

Yes, an external hard drive would struggle in copying such huge amount of files, especially when executing a FULL backup and/or based on SMR recording. I would rather consider using the USB Copy app to back up off-line, because 1) this app supports INCREMENTAL backup and thus would not require copying the exact same files again, and 2) all files can be accessed on other PCs immediately when failures occur on the NAS.

With an external SSD, data would be backed up times as fast as hard drives. However, be cautious that data recovery is virtually infeasible with SSDs, and data degradation or loss may occur with SSDs after prolonged off-site storage. If you have adequate, safe copies of data, just take one.😃

1 hour ago, Bersella AI said:

I have many hdd's  and external 

I created 1 task daily backup WD 2tb
and 2 hdd's 1 external and one hdd 3 inch , one time backup 
backing up , I used USB hub working also , backing up 3 tasks one daily done , waiting  two 

thanks for info ❤

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

2 hours ago, Bersella AI said:

Could you tell me how rotation  work ?
I have task 2tb external hdd . all data backed up 1.25 TB , when I enable rotation 1 versions 
will save older backup ?
that mean need 2.50 TB right ?

On 3/30/2024 at 12:10 AM, PSP. said:

Could you tell me how rotation  work ?
I have task 2tb external hdd . all data backed up 1.25 TB , when I enable rotation 1 versions 
will save older backup ?
that mean need 2.50 TB right ?

Version rotating is actually an incremental process; that is, when a file changed after its last versioning, it would be treated as a new version, and thus a new copy, while an unchanged file would keep the last version and last copy. In the process, the previous versions remains untouched until it exceeds the maximum versions to be rotated. With just 1 version to be stored, there would be literally no version rotating to happen, and the last version would be always evicted.

An ideal configuration on this would be 5~20 versions, depending on how frequent these data would be changed.

5 hours ago, Bersella AI said:

Version rotating is actually an incremental process; that is, when a file changed after its last versioning, it would be treated as a new version, and thus a new copy, while an unchanged file would keep the last version and last copy. In the process, the previous versions remains untouched until it exceeds the maximum versions to be rotated. With just 1 version to be stored, there would be literally no version rotating to happen, and the last version would be always evicted.

An ideal configuration on this would be 5~20 versions, depending on how frequent these data would be changed.

so better change from 1 to 10 ?

15 hours ago, PSP. said:

so better change from 1 to 10 ?

This would be ideal for frequently changed files such as documents. For other generally write-once contents like photos and videos, 1~3 versions are acceptable.

10 hours ago, Bersella AI said:

This would be ideal for frequently changed files such as documents. For other generally write-once contents like photos and videos, 1~3 versions are acceptable.

i will set 5 . 
almost to open new topic , want ask 
how to upgrade storage from 4tb to 8\10tb hdd ?
I have ds224+ 2 bay 
using 4tb 
now want upgrade to 8 or 10tb 
}how ?
remove slot 2 hdd then install higher ?
what next have to wait copy files to new hdd ?
something like that ?

On 4/2/2024 at 2:36 AM, PSP. said:

remove slot 2 hdd then install higher ?

If the 4TB array is configured in RAID 1, this should be feasible. Switch the second drive, wait for rebuild of the array, then switch the first drive and wait again. If not, you may make a backup first, install the second 8TB drive into the NAS and make a Basic pool, copy all the files, then upgrade to a RAID1 pool.