PC auto turn's off and on

AMKKAM

Hi,

When turning on my PC, it suddenly turns off and then turns on automatically for a little longer than the first time, turns back off, then turns on again and shows American megatrends. My option now is to press F1, which takes me to bios. I have already setup my boot device, so I just press esc and then boot to my Windows normally.

I have a habit of turning off the PC's main power supply's switch after it is completely shut down. A little back story from a few months, or, if not a year ago,. While the PC was in the process of shutting down, I accidentally switched off the main power before the Windows shutdown. Since then, this whole thing has started. 

Any kind of suggestion is helpful. 

2 minutes ago, AMKKAM said:

Hi,

When turning on my PC, it suddenly turns off and then turns on automatically for a little longer than the first time, turns back off, then turns on again and shows American megatrends. My option now is to press F1, which takes me to bios. I have already setup my boot device, so I just press esc and then boot to my Windows normally.

I have a habit of turning off the PC's main power supply's switch after it is completely shut down. A little back story from a few months, or, if not a year ago,. While the PC was in the process of shutting down, I accidentally switched off the main power before the Windows shutdown. Since then, this whole thing has started. 

Those switches arent meant for continual use and will break much earlier than you expect them to because of this, theyre simply not rated for so many uses, i would just turn ff the whole thing at the wall after powering down if you want to cut all power to the PC. Other than that im not too sure on the issue, but just an FYI for the switch usage

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

20 minutes ago, AMKKAM said:

Hi,

Some boards can behave like this from a completely powered down state.

Have you tried NOT turning the PSU off by the switch to see if this prevents the problem?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Check your CMOS battery. A desktop system is not meant to be in a un-powered state for long periods of time. The 3v battery on the motherboard is meant to keep your time and settings when there is no power connected for short periods, not all day every day.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

54 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Some boards can behave like this from a completely powered down state.

Have you tried NOT turning the PSU off by the switch to see if this prevents the problem?

Never tried that.

forgot to mention this,The American megatrends and turning on and off only happens for the first time of the day and if i turn the pc back off and turn them back on it just goes to boot normally.

47 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Check your CMOS battery. A desktop system is not meant to be in a un-powered state for long periods of time. The 3v battery on the motherboard is meant to keep your time and settings when there is no power connected for short periods, not all day every day.

I have heard of CMOS battery is the fault here, it basically can't hold charge anymore and to replace it.
I don't know have to check.

3 minutes ago, AMKKAM said:

Never tried that.

forgot to mention this,The American megatrends and turning on and off only happens for the first time of the day and if i turn the pc back off and turn them back on it just goes to boot normally.

That to me suggests the motherboard is using a rechargeable CMOS battery and its not getting charged enough to last overnight.  It doesn't necessarily need replacing, just needs to be left with the PSU powered on long enough to fully charge it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, AMKKAM said:

Never tried that.

forgot to mention this,The American megatrends and turning on and off only happens for the first time of the day and if i turn the pc back off (not by switching off the psu just normal shutdown) and turn them back on it just goes to boot normally.

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That to me suggests the motherboard is using a rechargeable CMOS battery and its not getting charged enough to last overnight.  It doesn't necessarily need replacing, just needs to be left with the PSU powered on long enough to fully charge it.

This is the CMOS on my mobo.

rechargeable CMOS battery?

IMG_20240326_134858.jpg

IMG_20240326_134844.jpg

If you have a voltmeter, you can check it, though for the low cost, you might as well plop a new one in and see if your problems go away.

That said, just leave your PSU turned on from now on. The power draw when off is minuscule.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

Updates

the old CMOS batt was the fault, just installed a new CMOS batt.

Problem solved.