CPU power question I can’t find…

Before I break something, I have a brand new MSI MAG Z690 with a i9-14900k…

this might be a dumb question.

But there is two 8 pin CPU plugs, and I have only one CPU plug on my PSU…

Can I use a 8 pin splitter without damaging anything? (Pictured) 

I WILL NOT BE OVERCLOCKING!

IMG_0901.jpeg

IMG_0900.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Crum said:

Before I break something, I have a brand new MSI MAG Z690 with a i9-14900k…

this might be a dumb question.

But there is two 8 pin CPU plugs, and I have only one CPU plug on my PSU…

Can I use a 8 pin splitter without damaging anything? (Pictured) 

I WILL NOT BE OVERCLOCKING!

IMG_0901.jpeg

IMG_0900.jpeg

Only one needs to be populated. It's probably the left one but definitely double check that (could even just be either). The other is only used if you plan to overclock, drawing more power than the single connector can handle.

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

4 minutes ago, Crum said:

Can I use a 8 pin splitter without damaging anything?

No. Do not use these. The motherboard will turn on if you only have one 8 pin plugged in, these types of connectors are just another point of failure. 

Realistically, with how much power the 14900K can pull even at stock, I'd want to have both 8 pins plugged in no matter what, and if your PSU can't handle it you probably should be using a different PSU. If you want to run with power limits so you don't have to have a PSU upgrade, just use a 14700K instead as that performs fairly similarly and should draw less power than the 14900K will. 

What PSU is it?

Very rare for a modern high power PSU to only have one EPS 12v.

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

No. Do not use these. The motherboard will turn on if you only have one 8 pin plugged in, these types of connectors are just another point of failure. 

Realistically, with how much power the 14900K can pull even at stock, I'd want to have both 8 pins plugged in no matter what, and if your PSU can't handle it you probably should be using a different PSU. If you want to run with power limits so you don't have to have a PSU upgrade, just use a 14700K instead as that performs fairly similarly and should draw less power than the 14900K will. 

Thank you!! I’ve built quite a few PC’s and never had run into this problem. I couldn’t find anything saying not to…but I wanted to be 100% before pulling the trigger.

I’ll be upgrading the psu next month but was excited about upgrading.