Is my planned TrueNAS setup good?

I'm tryng to make a NAS with TrueNAS and I'm planning to use 6x8TB Seagate Iron Wolf drives(ST8000VN0022) in them. A part of it would be used mostly for media backup and the rest for general storage. For maximum redundancy I would like to use RAIDZ 2.

My Specs for the nas are:
Motherboard: Gigabyte MJ11-EC1

CPU: AMD EPYC 3151
RAM: 32GB DDR4-2666 ECC

Sata/SAS Controller: Adaptec ASR-6805E

Boot Drive: HGST 1TB 2.5"(HTS541010A9E680)

Would this be a good NAS configuration for the purpose I would be using it for? I am open to alternative suggestions.

Dual X5690 my beloved.

19 minutes ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

I'm tryng to make a NAS with TrueNAS and I'm planning to use 6x8TB Seagate Iron Wolf drives(ST8000VN0022) in them. A part of it would be used mostly for media backup and the rest for general storage. For maximum redundancy I would like to use RAIDZ 2.

Would this be a good NAS configuration for the purpose I would be using it for? I am open to alternative suggestions.

Not sure with that main board but you might need a GPU.

For basic home use an eypc chip os overkill, especially if only have 10gb.

25 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

Not sure with that main board but you might need a GPU.

For basic home use an eypc chip os overkill, especially if only have 10gb.

The EPYC 3151 is a embeded CPU, compared to other EPYCs its kinda lame with 4 cores and 8 threads. The Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 is pparently a bourd from a mining server and theres barely any info about it online except for youtubers covering it as a cheap server board since it can be found at Ram-König for 59,99€(i got it backthen when it was 69,99). ALso since im going to be also using it over the internet my speeds are mostly limited to 100MB\s and from other forum posts of mine ppl told me to get this motherboard.

Dual X5690 my beloved.

1 hour ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

The EPYC 3151 is a embeded CPU, compared to other EPYCs its kinda lame with 4 cores and 8 threads. The Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 is pparently a bourd from a mining server and theres barely any info about it online except for youtubers covering it as a cheap server board since it can be found at Ram-König for 59,99€(i got it backthen when it was 69,99). ALso since im going to be also using it over the internet my speeds are mostly limited to 100MB\s and from other forum posts of mine ppl told me to get this motherboard.

Ah that's interesting. Was not aware of that. Might not be a bad option then if the power consumption isn't bad. 

I was originally going to use a 2950x threadripper for the ram and pci allocation since I also run vms for work. 

But with the idle power consumption that was not a good idea. I couldn't get it to idle less than 200w.

Switched to a 6700k system that will do around 50w.

Will soon be switching to a 9900k with tweaks idles around the same or less. 

3 hours ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

How many people will be using it? Does it need to do media decoding (for plex or whatnot?)

15 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

How many people will be using it? Does it need to do media decoding (for plex or whatnot?)

5 maximum. It also doesn't need to do decoding since its just media on a file system. No Plex/Jellyfin (I also tried installing jellyfin on a demi system and it's pretty broken...)

Dual X5690 my beloved.

13 hours ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

A 32GB boot drive is plenty for truenas….

I suppose if you want to run containers or VM’s off the boot drive (can you do that in truenas? I still run CORE so I’m not sure) then maybe that would be useful. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

10 hours ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

5 maximum. It also doesn't need to do decoding since its just media on a file system. No Plex/Jellyfin (I also tried installing jellyfin on a demi system and it's pretty broken...)

It should be fine for that. But if it was me, I'd really NOT use a harddrive for the boot drive. You have a perfectly fine m.2 slot not being used...

Also, using the HBA card is going to be interesting since the only PCIE is in the form of slim sas or oculink if I am not mistaken. Adapter time...

49 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

It should be fine for that. But if it was me, I'd really NOT use a harddrive for the boot drive. You have a perfectly fine m.2 slot not being used...

Also, using the HBA card is going to be interesting since the only PCIE is in the form of slim sas or oculink if I am not mistaken. Adapter time...

i will adapt the m.2 to a 4x pcie, since adapting slimsas to pcie is expensive and kinda confusing...

Dual X5690 my beloved.

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

A 32GB boot drive is plenty for truenas….

I suppose if you want to run containers or VM’s off the boot drive (can you do that in truenas? I still run CORE so I’m not sure) then maybe that would be useful. 

i just used it because i had it...

Dual X5690 my beloved.