Wich Dell Optiplex should i get for a NAS?

18 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

It's a nas... How much performance does it need?

15 hours ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

@FuchsFuchs1 I started out with an 4th gen Haswell i3 and this CPU was more than fast enough to overload my router with a synthetic benchmark (small IOPS). CPU utilization rarely went above 30%.

My new NAS will be powered by the Intel J5005 which is slightly slower than the 4th gen i3. The EPYC 3151 is roughly twice the speed. 

Before this opportunity arised I was close to pulling the trigger on the EPYC for my home/personal NAS: It's fast enough, energy efficient (if you disable IPMI) and IPMI. It has two ethernet ports out of the box.

i mean i never did a nas so ig it should work... doesnt sound too future proof tho...

Also since it would be one of my computer its exposed to alot of messing around.

Dual X5690 my beloved.

12 hours ago, Rysters Tech said:

I3's are just fine for 2.5 gigabit NAS operations, i used a pentium dual core socket 775 system and i could get 1 gigabit throughput with like 30% cpu usage,the epyc embedded will work just fine.

welp my local network doesnt go over 100megabit so i should be fine ig

Dual X5690 my beloved.

On 1/8/2024 at 9:52 PM, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Dell Optiplex are also lean on SATA ports so not ideal for a NAS. Additionally you can't mount more than 2-3 HDDs into them.

Currently trying a HP EliteDesk but HPs BIOS isn't supporting virtualization and the like.

If Fujitsu are an option check those out. The Fujitsu P720 E90+ would be an interesting budget option:

4x 3.5" and 2x5.25" which can be converted to 3x 3.5" slots. In total upto 7x 3.5" slots with 5x SATA ports on the mainboard.

For 70€ you could get this DIY option: https://www.ram-koenig.de/Gigabyte-MJ11-EC1-AMD-EPYC-3151-4x27-Ghz-Mini-ITX-Mainboard-ATX-Adapter-Server

Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 with AMD embedded EPYC 3151 (approx. Intel i3-8100 performance) and IPMI.

200W is significantly too much if he lives in Germany. That's roughly 600€ on the electrical bill per year. Over 5 years it's 3000€ just to power your home NAS (assuming cost wouldn't go up).

For example the previously mentioned Gigabyte board is at 30W in Proxmox with NAS software that's due to the IPMI (approx. 5W) and additional network chip. Modern server consume about 60W IDLE (compared to 150W+ for older server) which I would consider still to much. Ideally you would want to stay below 20W with sub 10W being excellent.

what would be a good amount of ram for the EPYC?

Dual X5690 my beloved.

should i got with 8x sata or pcie 8x for the SlimSas

Dual X5690 my beloved.