Laptop CPU better than Desktop?

Oi lads!!. 

Alright let me explain, i used to play GTA 5 on a laptop of mine before and i noticed something compaired to what i have now. 

When i was playing the game on the laptop, specs are: 

I5 6300u

8gb ddr4 ram

256gigs Nvme ssd

Intel HD 520.

//I played on 720p low sometimes custome high settings with <28fps and if i could remember my cpu was not even reaching all the time 100% mostly 80 but hits up around down town LS and my fps around there is mostly 10s, probably due to more activity and events that the CPU has to coop with but outside downtown is better since there isnt as much peds, vehicles Etcetera. my intel graphics wasn't 100% too its mostly 70 -80 (if i play on some high settings or low i only see small diffrence in FPS like 5), the lowest the ram has gotten was around 60>% but its mostly high probably due to lack of vram so everything is going to the ram. the game dosent stutters really, even on lower fps than 30, even at 15 fps the game is really playable, no much stutters as you'd think despite the game recommending i5 3470.

But on my Current PC, specs: 

I5 2500 (non K)

8gigs ddr3 ram

500gigs seagate hdd

RX570 8gig

// max settings getting around 60-70fps but i noticed the game was stuttering like a sheep on fire, every 2 second perhaps, at first i thought it was my game settings so i reduced ped and vehicle variations since i guess they can do something to CPU and went as far as putting Normal settings but nope, it was stuttering af. I monitored the game using task manager on windowed mode and my ram was roughly 50% ish, GPU around 70% sometimes goes down to high <50s% usage and the CPU is constantly 100%. // I capped my FPS to half my refresh rate (30) that was when i saw the cpu usage went down to about 60-70% but even at that settings it wasn't buttery smooth as you'd imagine.

Capping fps at 60 dosent make any difference since thats my average.

I used to have screenshots of my benchmarks but i deleted them a while back because i thought they served no purpose at the time but i was wrong.

I could conclude why all this is happening, its not that hard to point out, but i would like to hear your take or perspective on this.

Oh absolutely the laptop CPU is better. Even being a mobile chip its 4 generation newer, with better efficiency its all part of the natural progression of tech. While the 6300 is a 2C with Hyperthreading and the 2500 has 4C outright,   its just able to handle the data more efficiently. Also not to mention the faster RAM from moving from DDR3 to DDR4 even if it is SODIMMs

The main problem is most likely a bottle neck at the CPU, The RX570 is processing faster than the CPU can supply information causing slower performance overall. 

Technology is like a good friend that does its best to piss you off at every turn. yet we love them anyway. 

The i5 6300u is 4 generations ahead of the i5 2500, so it wouldn't be surprising if it outperforms it. And from the rest of your description, you're CPU limited on desktop, so the RX 570 isn't performing at full speed.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Macfox38 said:

Oh absolutely the laptop CPU is better. Even being a mobile chip its 4 generation newer, with better efficiency its all part of the natural progression of tech. While the 6300 is a 2C with Hyperthreading and the 2500 has 4C outright,   its just able to handle the data more efficiently. Also not to mention the faster RAM from moving from DDR3 to DDR4 even if it is SODIMMs

The main problem is most likely a bottle neck at the CPU, The RX570 is processing faster than the CPU can supply information causing slower performance overall. 

I haven't watched any real world benchmarks yet but i agree to the fact thet the mobile cheap is faster despite having lower clock speeds 

Lower TDP

Less cores but it has higher transistors and smaller die and chip. 

But some or alot of benchmarks websites says that the desktop 2500 is about 40% better?

While the i5 2500 has the same number of threads (4C/4T vs. 2C/4T) as the i5 6300U, it can boost 700MHz higher, but both aren't very powerful by modern standards, as seen in the screenshot of this benchmark, but the i5 2500 is a bit faster, while consuming several times the power.

image.thumb.jpeg.7e601cdf0190389a09f175805f426809.jpeg

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The i5 6300u is 4 generations ahead of the i5 2500, so it wouldn't be surprising if it outperforms it. And from the rest of your description, you're CPU limited on desktop, so the RX 570 isn't performing at full speed.

Its a bottleneck in GTA 5, i have played other game and gta 5 is the first to 100% my cpu and use less GPU. As typical R* games are cpu hog because of complex or more ai calculations i would say. 

Even might with shaders has used up more gpu lmao.

2 minutes ago, Average Nerd said:

While the i5 2500 has the same number of threads (4C/4T vs. 2C/4T) as the i5 6300U, it can boost 700MHz higher, but both aren't very powerful by modern standards, as seen in the screenshot of this benchmark, but the i5 2500 is a bit faster, while consuming several times the power.

image.thumb.jpeg.7e601cdf0190389a09f175805f426809.jpeg

What about single core performance? I know games are having a hard time using or utilising multiple cores efficiently than a single core? Whats do you think.

2 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

Its a bottleneck in GTA 5, i have played other game and gta 5 is the first to 100% my cpu and use less GPU. As typical R* games are cpu hog because of complex or more ai calculations i would say.

As I said, CPU limited, which means your GPU can't perform at its full speed.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

What about single core performance? I know games are having a hard time using or utilising multiple cores efficiently than a single core? Whats do you think.

The i5 2500 outperforms the 6300U by a bit there, but not a lot.

(Numbers are in the line above the final score, (1707 vs 1662))

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

As I said, CPU limited, which means your GPU can't perform at its full speed.

I agree on that 100%

mobo?

ram config?

if its a single 8gb stick ofc performance will be dogshit cause single channel cripples cpu performance

as for the cpu itself if you happen to have a mobo that can oc bclk then also do that, all cpus should be able to do 105 but going above 105 is pretty luck based, if you have a z mobo you can increase the multi by +4 and combine with bclk and ddr3 ~2200 (or whatevers the ddr3 speed on 21.33 multi + bclk)