990 Pro not running at max speeds

Why is my 990 Pro only running at 1.3gbps? I thought it was supposed to run a 7.5gbps

How are you testing the speed / where did you get that number?

1 minute ago, NikolakiH said:

How are you testing the speed / where did you get that number?

the epic games and steam download speeds

Ye olde advertising fine print

Box speeds on ssds are basically like drag race test results under ideal circumstances, they’re tailored numbers. Comparatively to other ssds, bigger number = better, but you’ll rarely if ever see anywhere close to those speeds In real use.

Actual pc use isn’t a benchmark. It’s a bunch of annoyingly different sized files of assorted types that have different compression which take up all kinds of time to move around.

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

Ye olde advertising fine print

Box speeds on ssds are basically like drag race test results under ideal circumstances, they’re tailored numbers. Comparatively to other ssds, bigger number = better, but you’ll rarely if ever see anywhere close to those speeds In real use.

Actual pc use isn’t a benchmark. It’s a bunch of annoyingly different sized files of assorted types that have different compression which take up all kinds of time to move around.

is there a way I can get it to run faster?

7 minutes ago, BeastHotDogGUY said:

is there a way I can get it to run faster?

Copy a large video file

You need to run your benchmark using CrystalDiskMark and then compare it to online results from other people. And then if you're doing specially bad you can post your results.

27 minutes ago, BeastHotDogGUY said:

the epic games and steam download speeds

That's going to be limited by your download speed more than anything.

Unless you have an internet connection that is capable of 7 GB/s and the server you're downloading from is capable of delivering that speed, you'll never get close to that number. For the sake of comparison:

• 1 Gbps -> 125 MB/s
  • 10 Gbps -> 1.25 GB/s
  • 40 Gbps -> 5 GB/s
  • 100 Gbps -> 12.5 GB/s

In other words, there's no way to realistically get close to that speed with any commercially available internet connection. Use a benchmark tool like CrystalDiskMark

55 minutes ago, BeastHotDogGUY said:

Why is my 990 Pro only running at 1.3gbps? I thought it was supposed to run a 7.5gbps

No. It's supposed to run at 7.4 Gigabyte per second (read) and 6.9 GB/s (write). Not 7.5 Gigabit per second. That's a difference of factor 8 in between there.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I mean you expect fast downloads do you have 100Gbit internet or something. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |